Nitro RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss nitro RC vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
moose200
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Moose

Total Props: 1
Help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Is there any one near Hanover Ont? I need help tuning my Savage X. I am new to this and would like some help, it also wont switch gears and I have tried doing it my self but wont work.

There is alot of money in the RC industry, I know because I put alot there!!
moose200 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
bigfoot3387
RCC Noob

I am: harold

Total Props: 0
Re: Help

hi i not close but can help maby if you want post a pic of you carb get as close to each needle you can i mite be able to see in a pic if there off i think once you get it rite it should shift nicly let me know if i can help
bigfoot3387 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Shawn68z
RCC Apprentice

Before you start tuning it, have you followed the procedure for breaking in the motor? You need to run atleast 5-6 tanks of fuel through the motor on a real rich setting (with full cool down in between) to work the motor in gently. Never bringing the engine to full throttle (keep it below 50%).

Once you have dont that, you should get a temperature gauge and slowly start working the high speed needle in one "hour" at a time, always making sure you have a small trail of greyish smoke out the exhaust. If you have a temp probe keep an eye on engine temps. Keep them below 250F. Once you have your high speed set, you can lean your low speed, and keep leaning it until the engine no longer bogs down when you go WOT from a stand still. Once it doesnt bog, you are real close. For bashing I wouldnt go any further.

As for gears. If its not shifting its probably shiftly so early that its always in second gear. You would want to screw the tranny screws in (1/4 at a time). Until you hear a shift.

Cheers,
Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
moose200
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Moose

Total Props: 1

Yes, it was broken in properly. mine is about 270-285 F. Because I was told that my engine temp was to low. I turned the shift screw out to the edge and back in 2 turns..

There is alot of money in the RC industry, I know because I put alot there!!
moose200 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
Shawn68z
RCC Apprentice

270-280 is kinda high. I have seen acouple of race motors in August come off that temp, but i would aim for the 225 range. Some motors do like to run alittle hot though.

If you can check out this site. http://nitrokb.netne.net/index2.html

It has alot of good information about setting up your nitro engine. This guy has done a great job (about 7 parts) of tuning the motors. Watch all the videos. they a pretty good. As the the tranny thats a hard one. Its a trial and error thing. Mine wasnt shifting, so i went one direction. Didnt work, figured I was always stuck in second. Madea change, and now it shifts to soon. But atleast it shifts.

Good luck

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Michael_Lambert
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mike L

Keep in mind you are trying to tune in the winter!

Are you covering up the cooling fins on the motor when running it in winter? Maintaining temps of 270 and not covering up the engine for the winter weather would mean you have it leaned out too far.

When we run in the winter you wan to cover up the cooling holes in your body, and wrap a rag around the cooling fines to retain some of the heat.

how is your exhaust smoke looking? Are you getting a clean visible stream while acceleratingly?

You really want to ensure you break the motor in under 225 degrees, and keep it around 225 for optimal running for now.

I know on my mantis, i was running it yesterday with no covers on and i could not get the temps above 180degrees, i wrapped the heads and taped up the body holes and was running nice at 250.. Went from not running like a 80 year old with a walked to grandpa mowing down crossing guards in his 68 mustang

I am not all that close, in Bradford... but if i can help i am more than happy to.
Michael_Lambert is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in