Are these transmitters legal? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
Re: Are these transmitters legal?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The technology of transmitting and receiving changed considerably with the introduction of 2.4 GHz digital radios, even a little with PCM radios.

Transmitters have become much more sophisticated with microcontrollers adding many, many features through programability.

Servo plugs have been pretty much standardized so most any servo and battery will work with these.

Do you need these things to make a plane fly? no.
Are they nice to have? yes
Are your radios acceptable at a MAAC club? yes
Are your radios legal under current DOT rules? yes

Use them, range check them, enjoy them, not with expensive planes though.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
hr2pilot

Total Props: 0

Thanks everyone for the comments and clarification. This is a great forum and a treasure trove of information!

I can't wait to get airborne again!

Cheers
hr2pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

Hi hr2pilot - welcome back to the sniff of nitro!! But do try electric too when you get going and have decided to buy another radio, motor, electronic speed control and all that jazz.
Your receivers are good for, certainly, relatively uncrowded fields.
As far as the Tx battery is concerned, it may be hard to get one - it is a NT-8H and is a long bugger, 3 cells long and 3 wide with a dummy cell at one end making 8 cells. You can open the back without removing many screws but to get the battery pack out you will have to remove one end - do this with great care as the plastic will have become brittle! PM me if you're unsure and I'll try and lead you step by step - don't ask me how I've found out!
Don't blame your nostalgia a bit; they were damn fine radios and the best at that time and still hold their own. Beautifully hand built practically, and really nice feel and balance in your hands. My era of radio; not a Chinese edition with whizz-bang features!! And so comprehensive as to be almost incomprehensible!
Oh and check the tyres on your wheels! Good luck.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
hr2pilot

Thanks Spitball and moo:

My era of radio; not a Chinese edition with whizz-bang features!! And so comprehensive as to be almost incomprehensible!

My feelings exactly….. at my age, I have a hard time figuring out which button to press on my TV clicker let alone trying to figure out the latest transmitter with all the bells and whistles! (jeeze…the best car I owned was a ’64 Impala, because I could work on it myself!....I'm scared to look under the hood of my present car!)

As far as the batteries go.....I beat you to it...the cases are now open and the old NT-8H's are on the bench for replacement. A quick Google on them show they seem to be still available from numerous sources, for as little as around 18$ US a pop.

Oh yeah.... I am definitely going to get into electric....quiet, no mess or fuss........I’m doing lots of reading on what I need to get up to speed on electrics......I can’t wait!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
Madman
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Stephen M

I am with you. I have been picking up some 20 year old Airtronics radios over the last couple of years. My advice, just send the radios in for a full service, replace the batteries and get a good multi outlet charger. Don't buy replacement batteries as old as the ones you have. Get new packs made up from current cells. If these are AAs (as 95% are) look at NiMHs. Capacity of 2700 mAh vs probably 500 mAh. Lots can advise on battery sources here. If you can't get service from Futaba (can't understand why not) then there is still radio south and I think Kraft Midwest is still around. Make sure whoever you send them to does a complete 'rebuild' and brings them up to like new condition. I too can't stand a lot of these Chineese radios. They 'feel' cheap and probably are.

Stephen

Last edited by Madman; 01-19-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Madman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #16
hr2pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Don't buy replacement batteries as old as the ones you have. Get new packs made up from current cells. If these are AAs (as 95% are) look at NiMHs. Capacity of 2700 mAh vs probably 500 mAh.

Stephen
Hi Steven;

Bear with me, I'm not too smart when it comes to amps, volts, ohms and stuff like that....but wouldn't the batteries being sold by large high volume store (for example Tower Hobbies) be using "fresh" batteries in their replacement packs? I'm just assuming that these packs (and they are comprised of AA's by the way.....8 of them for 9.6V) would be quite new stock wouldn't they?

Is it ok to replace Nicads with NiMH batteries?

Would a higher capacity pack (2000 mAh vs 500 mAh as was original) be safe to use in the radio without blowing a fuse , diode or some other internal gizmo?

Would the original charger handle charging a high capacity pack of the NiHM's?

My old pappy always used to tell me...."keep it simple stupid"....and my wife always says..."don't fix something that ain't broke!"....so I'm thinking I should replace apples with apples so I don't screw things up.

Whatdoyouthink?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #17
sport_flying
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Sport Flying
Radio of choice:
JR/Spetrum

To fit the radio correctly the battery holder has a dummy slot but is still an 8 cell pack.
The batteries that came with the radios were very likely 500 ma Ni-cad cells. Ni-cad capacity has increased over the years and the new AA Ni-cad batteries are in the 700 ma range.
The original charger that came with those radios would still work with new higher capacity AA cells. It would just take a little longer to reach full capacity.
The original charger that came with these radios will likely output about 45 to 50 ma. So a 700 ma pack charging at 50 ma = about 14 hours
You could likely get the TX cells replaced locally by a battery replacement center. Just take your existing TX and RX packs to them and they can custom make the replacement packs in the existing 4 and 9 cell configurations. The local dealer puts a date code on the packs and offers a warranty period on the packs.
Ask for Sanyo cells as they are the RC standard.
sport_flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #18

Total Props: 57

Having helped out in a hobby shop at one time I can tell you that it is very possible to end up with old stock especially something like batteries. As the pre made up packs come in they were put in a box in the glass showcase. There were so many different configurations they would take up too much wall space. If they did not happen to get sold they may have resided in that box for a very long time.

There still are a few active flyers in our club using these older radios and most do so because they like the radio not to save any money. They have sent the radios in to get them gold stickered and for tune ups on a regular basis. With the cost of today’s radio equipment most would consider this not cost effective but they prefer the older radios so they continue to keep them in good shape.

If you really have an attachment to these radios it would be good to send them in to have them checked and at the same time they could make up a battery pack for you.

As to the capacity of the pack be careful how large you go as the 45/50 ma wall warts are not the ideal charging method for batteries much beyond their intended application.

Red Scholefield is one of the go to guys if you have any questions on batteries. Check out his web site it will answer a lot of your questions.
http://www.hangtimes.com/redsbatteryclinic.html

Radio South is one of the better places to send stuff to for repair, tune up etc.
http://www.radiosouthrc.com/

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #19
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

You're on the right track hr@pilot - you won't go wrong just replacing the packs with the original size packs. The point is well made that chargers of those days are only 45 to 50 mA so 14 or 15 hrs charge is desirable and not 10 to 12 as the book says. And yes, have a pack made up as the cells will be fresh, they'll be good for quite a few seasons.
I personally never felt the need for MiMH cells as their extra capacity does not come without problems, quick self-discharge and the extra capacity is more a hindrance that a help. If you employ a regular regimen of flying, charging, then a short couple of hours before you actually go flying again. Last night I switched an ordinary Tx on and left it until the red LED flashed - four and a quarter hours it went! Hell, my bladder won't go that long!
With high capacity NiMHs you lose track of when you last charged and the supplied chargers are woefully inadequate - unless you leave it for 30 hours?? Why complicate life?

Last edited by Spitball; 01-20-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Compare what it is going to cost you to refurbish your existing radios vs Current Canadian mail order price for a Futaba 6 chnl computer radio on 2.4 Meg which is $260 plus freight and taxes.
This gives you a modern radio with electronic trims,a 1000amp RX battery,a charger,and four BB servos all with a warranty.
Once you learn the simple basics of programming a computer radio you will wonder why your ever considered coming back into the hobby with your dated TXs.
Keep them for nostalgia or resale as collectors items (I dont know if they are) I understand the attchment to old stuff which is why I got my last Kraft S/S gold stickered.
BTW you can buy the 6ex without the servos or RX battery if that makes more sense in your situation.
Whatever you decide,welcome back.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in