transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities - Page 95 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:52 PM   #941
g.p.
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Greg P

Total Props: 8
Re: transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The people that came up with these numbers have obviously never flown thermal gliders, discus launch gliders, or F5B gliders. Thermals don't even really start until higher than 300ft. My Virage F5b does 300 km/hr straight up. A 3 second motor run has it way, way higher than 300ft.

And still no provisions for night flying. Night flying for a plane that is set up for it is perfectly safe. Maybe even safer since it is so visible.

Can't make mountian ranges and private farmers fields MAAC approved fields. Guess I'm still a criminal. No point for MAAC in my future.

Last edited by g.p.; 06-24-2017 at 10:59 PM.
g.p. is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:58 AM   #942
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Seriously folks.

If you technically break some of the height rules flying from an isolated field or mountain top that is not in controlled airspace or whatever, and never cause any ruckus or damage, and stay clear of crowds of people......I just don't see TC pursuing you even if some keener reports you.

That's not what they are going after. They want to have some ammunition to be able to slam down on stupid flying like close to things that are vulnerable or into approach paths and the like.

I mean, the interim rules have been there for a while and judging by many comments lots of people have been ignoring it anyway and the only case of muscle flexing I know of the guy was flying around downtown.

Look at the reporting form:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...port-form.html

If the only thing there that could be checked off is "High Altitude" then the questions could be asked:

Was it high enough to endanger 1:1 aviation? Was it in controlled airspace? Was it so high the operator could not see it to control it? Simply blowing through 300 ft in an otherwise safe situation is not going to put you in the 3000 dollar club. They have bigger fish to fry like crawling up our back-sides every year or less looking for shortcomings on flying buses that carry people.
Weather Station

Last edited by davidmc36; 06-25-2017 at 03:12 AM.
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 AM   #943
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfiest View Post
if you can not fly 1 football field high and 5 football field long.. I say restrictive is not the word you should be using.
gp below has you pegged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.p. View Post
The people that came up with these numbers have obviously never flown thermal gliders, discus launch gliders, or F5B gliders. Thermals don't even really start until higher than 300ft. My Virage F5b does 300 km/hr straight up. A 3 second motor run has it way, way higher than 300ft.

Can't make mountian ranges and private farmers fields MAAC approved fields. Guess I'm still a criminal. No point for MAAC in my future.
Actually you can! I registered 360 acres of my neighbor's hay and pasture land as an alternate glider field to our club with MAAC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Seriously folks.
If you technically break some of the height rules flying from an isolated field or mountain top that is not in controlled airspace or whatever, and never cause any ruckus or damage, and stay clear of crowds of people......I just don't see TC pursuing you even if some keener reports you.
The age old "if no one saw it, it's not a crime" way of thinking!

No offence intended here David but we have a dog(and a son now that I think about it)that operates that way. The dog is not allowed past the kitchen or on the down stairs bedroom bed. If the bedroom door is left open, you WILL find dog hair on the bed and every now and then the contents of the kitchen garbage turns up buried in the couch cushions!

No, the intent of the regulators is not to target those that fly sensibly but those that enforce the laws may not know or care about that!

Old 06-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #944
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

But they do. The ones who actually lay fines will be driven by CAR's. And no fine has to be paid just because some LLE reports it. You can argue your case at the Tribunal. It says so in the document. Yes it could be a pain going to argue it, but the ones who are in the branch that wrote the regs will be the ones deciding how much or even if there will be a fine levied.
Weather Station
Old 06-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #945
mawz
RCC Contributor

I am: Adam Maas
Radio of choice:
Tandem X20
# of RCs: 16

Total Props: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfiest View Post
if you can not fly 1 football field high and 5 football field long.. I say restrictive is not the word you should be using.
I'm a glider pilot.

I normally launch over 300' on my Histart, winch and electric even higher (up to 200m). A typical flight will have me up around 7-800' for the majority of the flight, and I might go even higher (I regularly get up near my club's 1200' ceiling)

The height restriction in particular is a huge problem for certain disciplines, particularly soaring and IMAC.

That said, most of the affected disciplines tend to be the ones who also participate at MAAC fields (and thus are excempted). Soaring is an exception, as it has a long history of lone wolf pilots flying anywhere they can get permission.
mawz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #946
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
But they do. The ones who actually lay fines will be driven by CAR's. And no fine has to be paid just because some LLE reports it. You can argue your case at the Tribunal. It says so in the document. Yes it could be a pain going to argue it, but the ones who are in the branch that wrote the regs will be the ones deciding how much or even if there will be a fine levied.
LLE = Local law enforcer?

He/she and a local judge will be the ones involved initially unless I am missing something. Chances of them knowing the "original intent of the law" are slim to none. Appealing to some Tribunal in eastern Canada sounds pretty time consuming and EXPENSIVE once lawyers, lost wages and travel/ accommodations are taken care of. I'm thinking paying the $3000 fine would be the sensible way forward.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #947
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

I will admit I don't know for sure how it might go initially if a Local Authority pursued your activities but it would only seem logical that TC would take point investigating whether any charge should actually be laid.

There are offices across the country. Would you have to go to YOW???? Surely not.

Assuming it is on place now as proposed:

http://publications.gc.ca/Collection.../prb0111-e.htm

"In keeping with practice established by the Civil Aviation Tribunal, it is intended that the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada would conduct hearings and appeals in a fair, but informal, non-legalistic and expeditious manner. They would take place in the community of the complainant and in the official language of his/her choice"
Weather Station
Old 06-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #948
Tigron
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dmitry
Radio of choice:
JR PCM9X
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helno View Post
I guess it is time for an update.

Here are the new rules.

We still have to wait for the final rule to be published before the open comment period. Hopefully everyone here will constructively comment.

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/20...is-eng.php#na5
Well, from the point of flight restrictions, this new rules looks much more reasonable than the initial one. At least now we have a distinction of aerodrome types and safety distance by model weight. Good start!
Unfortunately, privacy information such as full name and address is still there.
Tigron is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:50 AM   #949
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Although it does not actually state it, I suppose full name would be their intent.

In the absence of some sort of registrant number, how else can it be traced without some level of individual information on it?

If nothing else, maybe you would get your craft back if lost.

Sorry if I don't see the drama of putting your name etc. on it. Mine have email and MAAC number also.
Weather Station
Old 06-26-2017, 06:52 AM   #950
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

My understanding was that the initial enforcement would be up to local police. Then one could go the Tribunal route after conviction? I will be interesting to watch the process unfold. Hopefully not on my dime!!

I am all for names and addresses in the plane (are they expecting it on the outside, visable in flight?) but MAAC number? Not so much. That in my opinion is an open invitation to sue. Like - here is my insurance policy - fill your boots!

Would you publish your insurance policy number on the side of your car?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in