2nd YEP esc to bite the dust..Think I'm DONE wit em!! :(:( - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:20 AM   #1
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: cory b
Radio of choice:
Vbar Control, Spektrum DX9, DX4S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11
2nd YEP esc to bite the dust..Think I'm DONE wit em!! :(:(

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well I think I'm moving on to another brand!!

Had the 2nd YEP esc fail on me now

My 500L fell outta the sky the other wkd and NOT from pilot error ... when I went and picked it up and was going threw it I had noticed that the one-way bearing seemed to have failed and was not grabbing the main shaft in either direction.

So rebuilt it, went out yesterday and HUH, won't spool up

So when I plug in the battery this is what happens....This is the 90a YEP BTW

I get the 6 beeps signalling a 6 cell lipo is present, and then there is no final chime finishing off the initializing of the esc..light is on, on the esc....vbar initializes and swash does it's vbar dance...BEC is working...Sats are lighted up....and have full control of all my servos....

BUT NO MOTOR !!!

Even thought I wasn't getting any error codes I plugged in the prog card to try and reset anything...no luck...

Ruled out it being the motor at all...plugged another 40a YEP I had laying around and motor runs so it's not the motor.

Really SUCKS, cuz there is NO visible signs of anything crapping out on the boards, took the shrink wrap off and looked over them...and I wasn't even pushing it when it went, it was my last flight of the evening and was just being docile with it doing some tame flips.

The first YEP I had go was EVEN WORSE scenario....litteraly crapped out sitting on the bench over night lolol.

Was in the middle of doing setup on a 450 when I called it a night, and went out the next morning to continue when the BEC on a 45a YEP decided it only wanted to put out 1.7v now all of a sudden!!!

Think I'll try out a Hobbywing now instead!!!...the Platinum Pro 100a-V3
Goblin380,MiniV,Xnova3215,YGE90LV,BK3001/BK5005,Switchblades,GensAce55c
Goblin700C,VbarSilverline,Xnova4530,HW160,BK7002/BK7006,Switchblades,Pulse65c
Blade450x,All lynx/blade upgrades-4SALE IN CLASSIFIEDS
HK Clik+Twisted Hobby Click super-lite(BNIB)
Losi Mini8,Leopard LBP2838,HW10BL60,BK5001,Shumacher Pins,Rhino1050mah40c
gixerfien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #2
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: 2nd YEP esc to bite the dust..Think I'm DONE wit em!! :(:(

A bit confused. Did you ensure something in your throttle channel had not changed to prevent the first one from final arm?

Also, just to be sure you did not leave that 45A powered overnight? If not, was the output plugged into the receiver and/or flight system when you powered it up the next morning?

Only thing I can think of as to the 1.7V dropout is that switching regulator circuits tend to need a load on the output when powered up. If not there things can go poof.

For several reasons, even with my 450 I always ran a separate switched BEC. The integrated were usually limited to well under 5A and could be affected by heating from the motor switching circuitry. If there were issues with cooling airflow, gearing or blades the power component heating could climb drastically and threaten thermal shutdown. That separation also helped keep electrical noise from that motor circuitry away from the receiver, (although there are many other possible sources, as well).

Having said all that, had you checked your current demand when under loads to ensure you weren't pushing the ESC near limits? Had you checked if it was too hot to touch at the end of a flight?
Old 09-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

With the 90a that went the other day, the ONLY single thing I touched in the transmitter is reducing the pitch travel by 2% on the positive side after the rebuild and I reset the head back up on the vbar software so that I was getting a perfect 13 degrees each way....I played with the throttle channel curve as well and tried lowering it just to check if it wasn't picking up low throttle for some reason and preventing it to arm like you said, but it didn't work either.

With the 45a that went last year, NO it was definitely NOT plugged in over night. I was at the point where everything was installed in the 450 and I was doing the vbar setup and got to the point of finishing the tail and called it a night and told myself I'd finish off the last 2 pages for the governor in the morning....went out in morning, plugged in battery and nothing would fire up...now on that esc, prog card now shows no lights unless maybe powered by external battery(can't remember if I got it to work with an external batt or not), voltage tester shows 1.7 outputting from BEC, and if I power the FBL and sats up from an external battery but still use the throtle channel output from that 45a, then I can power the motor just fine still so it's just the BEC on that one.

I never did check current loads with the 450 but ran that esc and scorpion 2221-8 3595kv motor in the 450 as a flybarred setup for a season before I swapped over to the flybarless head...and the esc never got hot, just warm.

The 500, same thing, never did check current loads but I was only using the stock 500mx dominator motor. The stock Align esc is only 70a so I'm sure a 90a esc is plenty!!...same thing, was never hot, just warm...

Even though these esc's have the newer more powerful BEC's on the market these days. I can say that with the 450 running HV servos, I never once had a problem and ran em fine....BUT with the 500L I did have a brownout earlier this year after switching to BK servos all around and changing the adjustability of the BEC output on the 90a esc to 8v...I then found out Mikado did some research with the real YGE version of that esc and showed the voltage sags in different scenarios..I then got a capacitor for it and never once had any issue again with that.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:22 PM   #4
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

well I managed to get it fired up

Used another 40a yep I had to test the motor and rules the motor out.

Then hooked up the 90a to another Rx I had laying around and still nothing....THEN...I raised the throttle to full to teach it it's endpoints again and VOILA!!.

i HAVE NO IDEA WHY BUT THAT DID IT!!

I still have to put it back on the vbar and see what happens/happened.

The only thing I did was trim the servos in the software on the swash trim page and then reduce my endpoints on the positive collective by 3% which gave me the even 13 degrees positive and negative I was looking for.

The ONLY thing I can think of is if for some reason maybe the pitch channel is reversed in order for everything to work correctly in the software/Tx and maybe lowering the positive pitch endpoints by 3% someone makes the esc see this on the low side?

I dunno, I'll play with it tomoro some more and see if putting that 3% back into my endpoints fixes it.

If not, I guess I'll have to set the endpoints on it from scratch and redo the gov setup.

Still really weird this happened

And I was litteraly MINUTES away from pre-ordering the new Hobbywing wi-fi module and getting a 100a to go with it...lol
Old 09-28-2016, 06:44 AM   #5
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

Glad you got it working. I wondered about that final arm.

What radio system?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #6
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
Glad you got it working. I wondered about that final arm.

What radio system?
DX9

Ya it's weird...I guess I'll find out later today whether changing the endpoint on the pitch did anything and I caused the issue afterwards or if it was maybe actually the one-way that did fail and made it fall outta the sky and the smack just joggled the esc memory or some ish.....This hobby sure is confusing at times lolol....even to the best of us!! lol
Old 10-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

well it definitely just bumped it's noggin and reset the internal memory or something that day because it's working just fine again, flew 2 packs through it yesterday.

After I reset the endpoints using another program on Tx and spare Spektrum Rx laying around. I then plugged it back all up to the vbar like it was and everything continued to work as normal, went through it checking things and found the gov was not working properly and the esc had also forgotten that it was in external vbar gov mode. I redid the prgramming on the esc and gov setup on vbar from scratch to make sure everything was ok and voila back to normal!!...

This hobby does weird stuff sometimes!!!
Old 10-20-2016, 12:25 AM   #8
joliecoeur13
RCC Master Contributor

I am: alain s
Radio of choice:
DX8

Total Props: 1

when the one way bearing fails in flight some bad things can happen ... like big current spike so that's probably why the ESC went into overload and warning beeps ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in