Shawnlh
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Shawn
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: -2
Flight sim physics realism??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have been using this sim http://members.tripod.com/manuelguillen/pcair2/air.htm It works with the fms interface I have and it's a free download. My question is what do YOU think of the physics. I am not concerned about the how pretty it is, just the flight and landing realism. Let's here ya.
Shawnlh is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:31 AM   #2
cplant

Total Props: 0
Ok so the graphics need some work, but the physic engine is excellent. I think with a little work you could make the models behave as well as AFP. As it is I think they are better than RealFlight. The only glitch I encountered is that the trottle response is a little odd (engine doesn't return to idle properly). Not sure if that's just the way the model is set up though. I will have to play some more later. I took a look at the way that the model data is arranged and it should be reletively easy to add new model designs if you have some proficiency in 3D modelling and the right software. The geometry is in an open format.

I already changed the splash image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverted_109.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	4995   Click image for larger version

Name:	ke.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	4996   Click image for larger version

Name:	splash.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	4997  
cplant is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:03 PM   #3
Shawnlh
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Thanks for the input cplant, if you get time to create new models or tweek this sim, could you please let me know, and maybe I could download the info from you?? If this sim can be tweeked to be just as good in physics as AFP that would be too awsome because it's FREE

Old 10-13-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
Shawnlh
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, what is the splash image?? Is it the pic you see on start up?? Can you tell me how to do that??

I know, I ask alot
Old 10-14-2004, 08:21 AM   #5
cplant

I'm going to play with the model thing this weekend. I looked at it a bit more and I think it can be done! Anything I come up with I'll share of course. I'm still not happy with the throttle but I can live with it. I'll get a better handle on the rest of the physics when I get a true 3D plane in there to try out (this is where AFP rocks). So far I'm impressed though.

Yes, the splash image is the one you see when you first open the sim (where the menu is. See the last pic I posted). To change it look in the main folder for the sim. In it you'll see a folder called "data" and in that one there is one called "textures". Locate the file called "Menu_Xtreme_5x5" in the textures folder. Find a picture you want as a splash image and open it in whatever program you have for editing images. Resize it to 512 x 512 pixels (if it won't let you make it square make sure you turn of the feature that constrains the proportions) at 600 dpi. Save it as a jpeg with the name "Menu_Xtreme_5x5". Put it in the textures folder replacing the one that's already there with that name (you may want to back up the original somewhere else first). Start the sim and the image should now be the one you made.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:50 AM   #6
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

How do you set this sim to use the joystick for X and Y (Elev and Ail), and use the keyboard for throttle and rudder?
Seems if you set it up for joystick, it wants to use the joystick for everything.

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #7
cplant

Ron

Go into controllers, select joystick, select edit. Make sure ch1 and ch2 is set to joystick x and y respectively. Select key axis 1 and key axis 2 from the drop down menus for ch3 and ch 4. Click Ok and then click define keys. Highlight the key increment and key decrement boxes for key axis 1 and select the keys you want to use for throttle up and down. Make sure to uncheck the auto centre box. Do the same for key axis 2 (rudder right and left) except leave auto centre checked. Click ok and test it out. Not the easiest way to fly but does work.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:04 AM   #8
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Thanks Colin, I'll try that tonight!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in