Elevator Wired Backwards... - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #11
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjhind
I'm an obsessive-compulsive second-guesser. Nearly every time I range check, I also sit there and think "now, that goes up... which pushes the wing down... which rolls the plane to the left..." about every control surface, just making sure they are all going the right way.

Of course, to the more experienced eye, this would be instinctive, simply moving the control surface would tell them whether its right or not. I have no idea how the control surfaces could get reversed while just sitting there... but its like locks, you lock the door as you're walking out, then once its closed, you try the knob, even though you know its locked.

Well, maybe not everyone is as obsessive-compulsive as some...
Nearly every time? Every time before your first flight or before every flight?

You should do it every time before your first flight of the day.

Right before take off every flight I move the sticks to make sure, as I am taxi away from myself. I check the voltage before every single flight, especially the first flight of the day even though it spent all night on charge.
I also check all the horns and linkages and the surfaces before the first flight and yank on the prop as well as the gear, on my larger plane.

Better to be safe than hurt someone or lose a multi thousand dollar plane!

On a maiden I make sure to have someone else make sure the surfaces respond properly, engine and prop as well as surfaces are secure, it is to easy to look at reversed ailerons and not notice with all the nervous anticipation.
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #12
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

I always do a thorough range check on the first flight of the day. I just meant that I also take the time to look at it and figure out whether the surfaces are deflecting the right way before nearly every flight. I highly doubt a channel could get reversed between flights, or even in transportation, thats why I said I overdo it a bit.

I have caught myself several times with disconnected ailerons on the first flight though Its always when someone is standing there looking at me too...

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:10 PM   #13
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
I always do a thorough range check on the first flight of the day. I just meant that I also take the time to look at it and figure out whether the surfaces are deflecting the right way before nearly every flight. I highly doubt a channel could get reversed between flights, or even in transportation, thats why I said I overdo it a bit.

I have caught myself several times with disconnected ailerons on the first flight though Its always when someone is standing there looking at me too...
Nice buddy.
I always check the movement to reaffirm I am on the correct model. I have 8 models on my radio including the sim. The servos probably won't get reversed but it is very easy to be on a different model . Ask how I know!
PTA Hobbies

Old 02-23-2007, 04:14 AM   #14
jpmodels
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmanr2
Quote:

Nice buddy.
I always check the movement to reaffirm I am on the correct model. I have 8 models on my radio including the sim. The servos probably won't get reversed but it is very easy to be on a different model . Ask how I know!
Yet another example of how the programmable radio can bite you!

I've got two planes with identical radio setups as far as servo configuration and direction go. But, the endpoints, throws and trims are different so it wouldn't be completely obvious on a pre-flight check that the radio is set wrong.
Thorought first-flight checks are pretty critical.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:30 AM   #15
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

I never thought about the model memory thing, I could easily see how that could be a problem! I've got two radios, one old-school and the other is computer with a whopping 2 model memory. I can't seem to keep more than two planes in an airworthy state (well... can't seem to keep more than one in an airworthy state at most times ), so it has yet to be a problem on my end

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #16
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmodels
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmanr2
Quote:

Nice buddy.
Yet another example of how the programmable radio can bite you!

I've got two planes with identical radio setups as far as servo configuration and direction go. But, the endpoints, throws and trims are different so it wouldn't be completely obvious on a pre-flight check that the radio is set wrong.
Thorought first-flight checks are pretty critical.
Last year I saw a guy put one in unexpectedly right after take off. He brought the wrong non computer tx for the model. Yet another example of how having multiple planes can bite you!

For me the programing and flexibility of my JR 9303 is indispensable and well worth it.
PTA Hobbies
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in