Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
ARF / ARC Aircraft Discuss anything and everything ARF or ARC related.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
Rowarrior
RCC Contributor

I am: Fernando G
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 0
Re: Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
maybe I am a little too late, but I just maidened mine 2 weeks ago. It has aWebra 80 at the front, and boy oh boy, she needed a pile of led at the front. She flew great, the o rings stink so I replaced them with rubber bands and EXCEPT for the tail rigging (that is functional) the wing rigging I did with seamstress sting, nice, black, and flexible!
It flies very solid with all that weight on the nose, but no bad habits. I tried to stall her and I couldnt!

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
Gregor77
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Gregory C
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 3

I had the same issues... It flies good.. I have two of them, both electric... The weather has been good, but they are a bear to transport. I might try them again this weekend.
Gregor77 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Rowarrior
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor77 View Post
I had the same issues... It flies good.. I have two of them, both electric... The weather has been good, but they are a bear to transport. I might try them again this weekend.
Please do share your impressions of the Camel, I have only flown mine twice...

Is it true the landing gear gives in easily? do you find its hard to stall it? have you suffered damage on the control surfaces because the balsa is too weak? or any other weaknesses you consider important?

All of these things I have heard of in the past and I would like to know your experience as I am sure you have flown yours considerably more than I have. I really like mine and I would not like to lose it to something like that (as it is a complicated machine in terms of parts)

Thank you!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Gregor77
RCC Junior Contributor

I got both of mine second hand. One is mint and the other is a bit ratty. Which is not a bad thing at all. I put lots of Hobbyking stuff less the Hitech Digital servos for the wings and the elevator. Rudder I used Hobbyking metal servo. The power system is a G60 (HK brand) with a 80Amp ESC and a sep SBEC 5V. It runs on 2 3S, 3000 in series to get 6S out of it. The prop is a 18X6E.

I flew it this winter and took off from a half snowy runway at TEMAC. The plane tracked like most tail draggers and pitched a bit to the left. I compensated with Right rudder. It took off in about 15-20 feet. I had added too much down elevator as I was afraid that the plane would pitch up to fast on me. But after trimming it flew level. It flies good and doesn't yaw like the Tri-planes do. I would saw I had enough power to be scale and not overdone. As for the landing it will come down slowly as you start to reduce power. Yes the landing gear is weak, but cheap as a replacement part. I have used rubber bands and not the supplied o rings. I had to add a ton of weight and my C/G is 3.5 from the top L/E and it tracked nice. As for weak spots, I only flew it a few times and it seems to be OK. I don't like the way the wings shake on a bumpy surface, it looks like they will break in half. It's a fun plane and really looks the part!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Rowarrior
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Hi Gregor,

Very insightful. Thank you very much, it will help lots. You are right, the Camel is truly a good flyier for what I could experience (maybe 20 minutes total) . I am renforcing the landing gear by putting fishing wire around the landing gear for bracing just like the real thing.
I know what you are saying about the yawing on a tripe. I fact, I recognize the Red Baron's tripe on yor avatar...I believe that picture was taken right before he moved to Cappy...serial number 477. Excuse my geeky-ness but it was my interest on the Red Baron that got me into the whole WW1 RC thing.
Anyhow, I still have my Great Planes DR1 ARF that I put together in 2003....but it seems both, my Camel and the DR1 I will never be able to land completely upright...both seem to nose over at the very last moment....JUST LIKE THE REAL ONES haha

That is why I bought my Camel, so the DR1 had a friend to play with!!

Last edited by Rowarrior; 05-04-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Rowarrior is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
Gregor77
RCC Junior Contributor

Wow, I have the same at home too!

Mine is a VK DR-1, I have not flown this model yet.. I was monkeying around with the GP (Smaller) DR-1 for a bit. Then used the EPO DR-1 (Learned alot), then grabbed all the GP WW1 planes. They all fly very well, I like the Newport 17, it is my fav.

I have some BUSA kits at home, one including the DR-1 which will be a long term project with the amount of planes and other hobbies in my life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vk_dr1_174.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	150333   Click image for larger version

Name:	camel.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	150334  
Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
Gregor77
RCC Junior Contributor

Oh ya, I used the HK pilot for the plane and it looks better IMHO.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
Rowarrior
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Quote:
Oh ya, I used the HK pilot for the plane and it looks better IMHO.
Yep! sometimes the pilots match other planes better. Thank you for the pictures. I hope you dust off and get that DR1 in the air soon.
I thought about the ARFs you mention, but I have not switched from Nitro to Electric yet...but I may soon, as the electric selction is really good. In August e-Flite is releasing a 55 in WS Albatros DV..you have to check it out on their web page...it looks awsome.

In the meantime, I play with my Hangar 9 Camel and Fokker DVII, a BUSA Bristol M1C, the GP Fokker DR1 60 ARF, Top Flite Elder and most recent baby: a 50 in Wingspan SE5.

WW1 planes present a complete different challenge than the rest, gotta love them!

Great rigging job on the Camel, how did you do it? string?
If you look at my Camel, you can see the landing gear bracing (which I hope is functional with the fishing line)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	150343   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	150344  
Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #19
Gregor77
RCC Junior Contributor

That SE5A looks like a version of the HK or the Dynaflight one...
Old 05-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
Rowarrior
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Quote:
That SE5A looks like a version of the HK or the Dynaflight one...
I wish! I think the Dyna Flite is 64" , but hey, cant complain...it should fit in the car in 1 piece

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in