Turnigy B3656 1800kv motor in Freewing 90mm fan DATA - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1 (Eric K)
Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control
# of RCs: 777

Total Props: 203
Turnigy B3656 1800kv motor in Freewing 90mm fan DATA

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just measured thrust and watt data for my Turnigy B3656 1800kv motor mounted in a Freewing 90mm fan. Running a Turnigy 6S 45-90C 5000mah Nano-tech battery and a cyclone power 85A ESC with BEC. The numbers settled down to 1580watts 74A producing 2.2 kg thrust (mounted in my Starmax F/A-1.
The thrust drops to 2.1kg with the wattmeter hooked up indicating it robs power. My wattmeter wires are too thin getting warm during the test indicating the actual watts and AMP numbers are likely higher.
Cheers
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...77&postcount=1
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
Re: Turnigy B3656 1800kv motor in Freewing 90mm fan DATA

Don't push this motor beyond the recommended power and amp draw. I tested pretty well all of the Turnigy brand motors that could be used in EDF applications. On the bench they look promising, and they are very nicely made. However, I have not had one motor live longer than two flights. I was using the AP-900 EDF unit and the Hoaye 89 mm EDF units. I think they are similar to the one you are testing. If they list it as a 5 cell then don't push a 6 cell setup, they are not Mega motors that can be abused a bit.

If you want, I have a couple left, will sell them to you at half price plus postage......I don't need them.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control

Thanks for the tip!
The setup has about a dozen flights so far with no issues (so far). The Freewing fan is a clone of the WEMOTEC 90mm and much less load than a Hoaye fan. The other thing going for mine is that I added a complete ring of cooling fins to the exposed motor.
I'll pass on the motors...
Cheers

Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
pogo
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom Muir

Total Props: 5

Hi guys- I should probably be quiet here but I just don't understand why you are fooling around with Freewing and Haoye fans when HET and Wemotecs are readily available at 50 & 80 bucks respectively- not a bunch of dollars for proven, efficient fans. I certainly don't have unlimited resources (far from it, in fact ) and the really good fans (Shuebler etc.) are certainly out of my league, but, really...
Tom
Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
mike88

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
Hi guys- I should probably be quiet here but I just don't understand why you are fooling around with Freewing and Haoye fans when HET and Wemotecs are readily available at 50 & 80 bucks respectively- not a bunch of dollars for proven, efficient fans. I certainly don't have unlimited resources (far from it, in fact ) and the really good fans (Shuebler etc.) are certainly out of my league, but, really...
Tom
I was wondering the same?
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control

Hi Tom and Mike,
It all started with the arrival of my Starmax 90mm F-16 with stock V2 setup. It was a steep learning curve but it taught me the basics of getting a reliable setup. Since it was so badly presented (out of balance/ crappy shroud/ etc etc) you can either fix it or start over again and I enjoy solving problems.
I've found the Freewing/Starmax 90mm (WEMOTEC clone) fans to be very good. The freewing being the best as it's shroud is better than a Wemotec (4 mounting holes, not 2). The Freewing fan and plastic spinner is well constructed and needs little if any balancing. The Starmax fan is good but the aluminum spinner of the older model is always out of balance. Not a bad thing sometimes if you are trying to dynamically balance an out of balance motor. I've tried the Haoye fan which was almost the same as my old FLY FLY fan and they are useless (way too much pitch for most motors).

Back to my favorite (Freewing), for $20 bucks they work as well or better than the Wemotecs and are easier to get (with identical performance). If you try the Freewing fan and motor you won't be dissapointed (I wasn't anyway).
Had many enjoyable flights in the 1500 to 1700watt range without any fan failures. 2.3 to 2.4 Kg thrust measured in the aircraft is fine by me.
I think many of the more expensive setups available are equal in performance but why spend more than necessary? I'd rather have two or three times as many aircraft in my stable (now I just need to find space to put them)!
Cheers

Last edited by 4stripes; 03-31-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
pogo
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom Muir

Total Props: 5

Hi Eric- you've certainly stated your case for the Freewing fan well and succinctly. I said in my previous post that "I didn't understand..." but now I do- you have had good success with this fan and you're happy with it's performance, and of course that's all that matters. Sorry if I came off as cranky before- it's proving to be a long week...

Tom
Old 03-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control

No worries Tom!
I've quite enjoyed what I've come across so far in this new avenue of modelling.
Cheers
Old 03-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
mike88

Total Props: 0

Yes, Very well said Eric.
I hope I didn't come off cranky as well?
I have NO experience with 90mm's yet only 80to50's .
Your experiences and "R&D" so to speak are educational..
  Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in