Riddick
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: jay
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4GHz
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Thumbs up I finaly maidened my corsair.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Holy crap, I don't think I have been so scared in my life. I was excited and terrified at the same time. Thank God for expo, my hands were shaking so much. After a minute or so and a few clicks here and there on the TX, I started to settle down. The RCV 120sp ran great and pulled the TF Corsair around with authority. BUT, yes there is a but. About 5-6 min in, the engine died and I had to bring it in dead stick. I had to bring it in quick and ended up collapsing the retracts. No other damage was done to the wing or fuse, just bent the retracting linkage (replacements are on there way).
Now about the engine, It got to about 1/2 tank when the engine died. I'm going to take out the tank and double check every thing. Also, when do you know you need a pump for glow engines?

I FINALY MAIDENED MY CORSAIR.

Last edited by Riddick; 06-07-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: pics
Riddick is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11
Re: I finaly maidened my corsair.

A lot of times people think they need a pump, but really you need to go back to basics and check your fuel tank. Is the clunk and line floating back and forth inside freely? Does it reach the back of the tank without hanging up? Also is the tube from muffler pressure facing upwards into the molded air bubble?
cassat is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:01 AM   #3
John M.
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 91

Sometimes the vent and fuel feed lines are reversed - never done that myself .............
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
canadianice
RCC Master Contributor

I am: jeff t
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 12

Make sure it is not over heating you need much more exit air than inlet.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

You need a pump when the tank substanily above or below the carb center line or the tank is mounted away from the engine. Knowing the Top Flite Corsair design I really doubt this is your problem. What happened is a classic example of running the engine to lean. As the tanks empties it doesn't have as much head and it gradually leans out. After you check all your connections and tank, fill the tank half way and adjust your engine. Fill the tank up and go fly.

The other possibility you may have is a small pinhole in the tank clunk line. As the fuel level in the tank came down during the flight it exposed the pinhole and the engine sucked air through the pinhole and quit.

Hope that helps
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Congratulations on the maiden.

I agree with the other comments here. Before going out and buying a fuel pump (which you probably dont need) go back to the basics and check everything over each part of the fuel system and engine one step at a time.
  1. First,when I maiden a new plane, I always prefer to do it with the cowl off. This eliminates any heat (overheating) related issues. You want the engine to run as best as it can so you know its maximum performance in the pkane. So if its running right and later you put the cowl on and it runs badly, you know that the cooling has something to do with it.
  2. Second, do a fuel tank inspection. Remove the tank and double check the clunk is OK, and the vent is OK, and that it reaches up to(but not touching) the top of the tank. Make sure the tank plug is secure and doesn't leak
  3. Make sure you know exactly which fitting coming out of the tank is FUEL and which one is VENT. Mixing these 2 up is a common mistake. They sell coloured fuel line that makes this easier to keep sorted out. My preference is GREEN for fuel and RED for pressure line. My logic is RED=hot, so the HOT gasses from the exhaust connect to the pressure line.
  4. Check your fuel lines for pinholes. If you hold the line and stretch it, it makes the holes very visible. Most pinholes are near the ends of the fuel line, so check that area very carefully.
  5. if your fuel system checks out, then it could simply be your engine is still not broken in yet or your needle settings still need to be adjusted. I could write a whole other chapter on that...

Good luck, and hopefully your corsair will fly again but this time for the whole tank!

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Riddick
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: jay
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4GHz
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

Thanks guys, I did fly it with the cowl on, so that could be a possibility for over heating. It is well broken in with close to 2 gallons through it on the bench but I was messing with the low idle mix the day before. Could it be possible that my fuel lines are to long and my fill valve is mounted lower then the tank?
Riddick is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
Thanks guys, I did fly it with the cowl on, so that could be a possibility for over heating. It is well broken in with close to 2 gallons through it on the bench but I was messing with the low idle mix the day before. Could it be possible that my fuel lines are to long and my fill valve is mounted lower then the tank?

Position of the fill valves have noting to do with it, unless it is one of those "inline" fuel valves. they have been known to leak. Well, not really "leak" per-se, but "air leak" meaning it will be sucking air through the fill valve. so now your engine is not getting the fuel flow it needs, but instead gets fuel with air bubbles in it. When that happens, your mixture goes lean and deadsticks are common. Replace your inline fuel valve (if that is what you have) with either a T-fitting coming off your tank-carburetor line and terminating in a fuel-dot, or use a 3'rd line from the tank also terminating in a fuel dot.

Fuel Dot/T line examples:

http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=HAN116

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN115

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9
Ontario Re: I finaly maidened my corsair.

Sweet! Another corsair in the air!!!!! Post some pix....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in