Right-size a downloaded Plan - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
RCC Plans Exchange This is a place for RCC members to exchange plans that they own (they have drawn). Please note that commercial plans will not be allowed. If you do not have the rights to post the plans, do not post them.
Plans should be updated in DXF format or zipped to decrease the size.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
nahashmi
RCC Apprentice

I am: Naveed H.
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Right-size a downloaded Plan

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi,

Someone forwarded me the following links for plans. There are also many good one on these sites. The problem is how to get them printed in their right size. I mean when I zoom-in and take a print it prints exactly what I see on my screen or when I zoom-out and can see the whole plan on the scree it would print the whole plan on my 8.5 or A size paper. Can any one tell me if there is a solution to this ? or these sites are just for waste of time and good for nothing ?

Thanks.
nahashmi is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
nahashmi
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
JR

Re: Right-size a downloaded Plan

Sorry! Here are the links :

http://users.skynet.be/Modelers/Buildingplans.htm

http://www.willingtons.com/mymac/Plans_Download.htm
Old 11-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1

Not wanting to be harsh but ... how do the plan authors get paid for these copies of their plans?

and, to answer your question, learn CAD or bring them to someone with this knowledge.
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
rbwater
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4

Leaving aside the question of copyright - i.e. have original designers given permission for reproduction/use - most files seem to be .dxf or .dwg CAD files. I have used 2 ways to print plans (my own designs) & 1 other way to print legally downloaded plans (e.g. RCPowers samples) previously:

1. Plot on large plotter at 1:1 scale if you have access to plotter.

2. Draw a grid over plan at a size which is same as largest piece of paper your inkjet printer or similar can print. Make sure to allow for minimum margin in sizing grid. "Plot" each page separately to printer. Tape together.

3. Use Freeware which creates .pdf tiles of the full size drawing that can be printed & joined as in method 2. I have not done this myself only used the tiles produced by somone else. Not sure if CAD software is used to produce full-size pdf & then converted or if Freeware converts dwg/dxf directly to tiles. Internet search or look at www.rcgroups.com should easily find freeware.

All 3 methods require CAD software to open original files.

RB
rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
RobMackenzie
RCC Apprentice
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Rob Mackenzie
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i

Naveed... you might want to check out a great, free program called Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.ca/) that lets you manipulate both the on-screen of many files and also gives you enormous control over how they are printed (and a whole lot of other things too)

An AXN floater, an Apprentice 15e, a Stinson SR-10, a DHC-2 Beaver, a GP J-3 Cub 20 on the bench, a scratch-built TTP by Russ40 and two Funbats and a "The Twins" still in the box...
RobMackenzie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
wymbly1971
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Taranis X9E
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4

You can download a good CAD program called Draftsight. It works on Windows, Mac and Linux. It's almost identical to AutoCad and "easy" to learn. If you must, draw 8 1/2"x11" squares and plot them individually and tape together.

The best way is to get someone to plot them full size for you or convert to a pdf to be plotted at a local printer. If you want to PM me your details, I may be able to help you.
MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
mrrandyman
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Randy
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum

Total Props: 10

If you have cad you can convert it to a PDF.
mrrandyman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

I put a copy on an SD memory card and take it to the local office supply place, show them the inch markings and tell them I want it that size. They can make it any size I want.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
nahashmi
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
JR

Thanks all of you nice people out there. Will try and let u know about the result.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #10
Mooney_Driver
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jim P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahashmi View Post
Hi,

Someone forwarded me the following links for plans. The problem is how to get them printed in their right size. I mean when I zoom-in and take a print it prints exactly what I see on my screen or when I zoom-out and can see the whole plan on the scree it would print the whole plan on my 8.5 or A size paper. Can any one tell me if there is a solution to this ?
You might also download and install Autodesk (Autocad) DWGViewer which is free. It will take your DXF or DWG file and print it like you need or want. If you can get it converted to PDF then Acrobat Reader version 10 will print tiled on the paper size you specify (A or 8.5x11) and with overlaps as wide as you specify.

Another solution would be to purchase Turbocad. I purchased version 16 Deluxe just for that purpose and for converting those files to PDF. Unfortunately Turbocad PDF converter is hit or miss and when I called tech support about that problem I was told that they did not garauntee the PDF creator to work! I do not know if the current version (17) fixed that problem or not but as far as printing files on the size paper you want then it will do that.
Mooney_Driver is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in