Really Giant Scale Hurricane - Page 24 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #231
mwavesdave

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24
Re: Really Giant Scale Hurricane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It's a really nice break from small stuff, to get back to bigger construction. Bigger is easier, to be sure. I've got the cap strip on the leading edge of the Vertical Stab now, and laminated up the rear spar for the Horizontal Stab. It's also been marked for the double taper, which I'll cut tomorrow. I also managed to cut all the 3/4 X 3/4 pine strip, which will be glued to the top and bottom, both sides of the aft spar, bracing, and cut all the rough blanks for the ribs! Shouldn't take more than a few days to have all the ribs drawn out, cut, and lightening holes done. Process can be touchy though. What I'll do is craw and cut the root and tip ribs, and install those. I'll then cut a middle rib blank, out of 1/8th ply, fit, and ensure it's fair. Each rib will have a single blank cut, shaped, check for fair, before cutting the pairs of 1/4 inch actual ribs. Long slow painful process, but ensures there's no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_3938.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	424801   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_3940.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	424809   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_3939.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	424817  
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #232
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

As I'm adding bits to the Vertical Stab, and waiting for glue to dry, (I need more clamps!!), I'm also working on the Horizontal Stab. I finished the rear spar tonight, and had just enough time to cut the first set of ribs. The innermost ribs are canted outwards, to match the taper of the fuselage. Pics show one in place. Matching the angle is easy, I simply used the model stab!

I've also cut out the blanks for the main outer wing spars, and will start assembly of those soon. They'll be 15 feet long each though, so have to watch my space limitations. Once the tail feathers are done, and over to the museum, then I can go nuts on the outer panels. When they are done, then all the basic framing is done, and it will be time to do the small bits, flaps, ailerons, start hinging control surfaces, sealing all insides of the wooden structures, and start running control cables, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m_IMG_3941.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	425385   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_3942.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	425393   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_3943.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	425401   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_3944.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	425409  

Old 09-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #233
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

This evening's progress. Vertical Stab is ready to sheet. One of the leading edge sheets is cut, and fit, it will be used as a template for the second sheet, and they'll get glued into place shortly. Horizontal Stab is slowly coming along, 2 more sets of ribs cut and fit tonight, two more sets to go. Once everything is in place, I'll do the final fitting, check square and fairness, then glue into place. Should have the rudder fit to the vertical stab, and ready to ship over to the museum next week. Once the Horizontal Stab is done, I'll have to keep it around until the elevators are done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m_IMG_3947.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	426729   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_3946.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	426737   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_3945.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	426745  

Old 10-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #234
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Vertical Stab and Rudder together! Couple more evenings of work, then they'll both go to the museum, and await the completion of the Horizontal Stab, and elevators.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m_IMG_3961.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	432241  
Old 10-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #235
-Rick-
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick K.
Radio of choice:
Frsky X12S Horus, X20S
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11

Wow!!! Nice work! Can't wait to see it all come together.
MAAC #20880
-Rick- is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #236
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Me too! lol I'll have the rudder and stab done in a few days, then about a week or so for the horizontal stab and elevators. Have to see if we have room where the fuse is to attach, or if we have to wait. Then it's the outer wing panels, ailerons, and flaps. Probably around Christmas time to assemble the whole thing before covering begins.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #237
-Rick-
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick K.
Radio of choice:
Frsky X12S Horus, X20S
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11

I bet you like to see it done!! Still, it is a project that you should be very proud of! I could only dream of doing what you doing!!

Keep the pictures coming
MAAC #20880
-Rick- is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #238
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Honestly, it's just a big RC scratchbuild, without having to figure out where all the RC stuff will go, or cutting a cowl for exhaust. Not to mention, if I'm out 1/8th" on something, no one will ever know. Do that on a small RC, and everyone at the field will know, one way or another! lol
Old 10-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #239
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 47

You Know Dave after watching this build thread from the beginning I am only left with Two real questions...

1) You started off with a budget of $10K - how are you doing with that?
2) What have the curators of the Museum got to say about the project?

Personally - I'm Impressed!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #240
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Way way under the 10K budget. The 1/8th Baltic Birch Ply for example, is $22 a sheet. I'm in for about $1000 in plywood, probably about 1/2 that in clear pine, and a hundred or so in screws, glue, etc. Big costs will be the glassing of the wings and fwd fuse, and the fabric, sealer, primer and paint. We'll be well within budget though. Remember, my labour, shop tools, electricity, etc, are all free. I post on the Shearwater Aviation Museum's website as well, so far, pretty enthusiastic response from them. We'll have to wait though, for the public unveiling next year! They're talking about a Sea Fury, lol later on, I'd rather do a Spitfire though! Mosquito would be really cool, but my shop's too small for that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in