onboard glo driver - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 05:15 PM   #21

Total Props: 57

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic
Hey Chad, a REAL man can flip his engine so d**n fast it doesnt need a glow driver to start at all!

OK, if you dont believe that, then how about that I carry a 60 pound, 200 amp hour RV battery with all the cells wired in parallel, I only have to charge it one in the spring and its good to go for the rest of the flying season....

Naw didnt think so.... (I have three c size glow drivers - I know at least one is charged at any time )
The pro driver has a normal receiver nicad with a charge jack wired in so I just fast charge it like you would your plane.......

But if you want to carry around three drivers feel free
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:34 PM   #22
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Quote:
Tyr one of these handy new inventions.
Jim....I hate those crappy sub C power pieces of junk - they never (well, well seldom ever) work when you really need them!!

No sirree..I got me a 4000MaH D cell powered one!! Works real good until it comes in contact with the keys in the same pocket

Actually, I've got one of those fancy programable onboard thingy's but don't need since I got rid of the Saito 56

heh heh heh...hope you realize I'm kidding It was a pretty good lil engine........

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:22 PM   #23
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Chad,
I carry three - one for me, and two to lend to the guys who ALLWAYS forget theirs! Yes, I am the guy who has a spare of everything in the flight box/truck/trailer!

I think of it this way... I fly twice a week all summer. When I go flying I fly non stop, ie, not just one or two flights. I have never yet been unable to start my engines, due to a dead battery, ever! So I will continue to use my $5 nistarters, no need for fancy pants $60 US thingy's...

If you have your engines set right, they should start within seconds. Even a sub C 1400 Mah battery is good for a few days flying... unless you forget its on and fly a 15 minute flight with it! :P

(just poking fun, dont hate me because I like to be thrifty!)
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-03-2003, 02:18 AM   #24
airhog

hey chuck,
after reading all the posts, i don't think you really got your answer.what i have seen as a plug clip was a simple alligater clip,try yourself clipping one on,then try to remove,don't think-so.with a washer grounded off the engine,works perfect,easy to remove to replace plugs,will never fall off.
give you another idea aswell.i have several glow stick chargers kicking around,well if you want a remote glow,cut the adapter off,wire the end to what i just explained in the above paragraph,cut a whole where you would like the glow stick to clip on when you start,there you have it.cheap(free in most cases)stuff should be kicking around.
i have an idea in mind for my heli,i have a pull\recoil start engine,keeping it simple i want to have an onboard glow,i'm just going to add a sub-c rechargable,then add a recepticle so i can charge without ever having to remove the battery,add fuel flick the switch,a few rips of the cord,i'm flying helis,less junk to take\carry\have.fuel in one hand,heli in the other,radio strapped around the neck,lets go flying. :P
airhog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:02 AM   #25
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

..somebody makes a moulded rubber cap that fits over the glo plug, and the wire is pressed against the pin of the glo plug by spring pressure....can't recall who makes them, but they were only $5 or so...

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:18 PM   #26
Colin
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Colin B
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 13
My dad makes ours, he uses an old glow plug, drills it out and solders a wire to the plug, then runs the wire to an clip l-e-gat-or clip and then the clip goes onto the plug, so when you need to change a glow plug you just take the clip off and replace, these things last about a 4 year period!

Colin
Old 06-19-2003, 11:50 PM   #27
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

The method I used for on board glo was a micro roller switch on the thottle servo. I hooked it with a reciever swich for idle to about 1/2 throttle. This helps inverted engines when loading up. This was also on a twin DC2 and I didn't want an engine to quit. I used 1800 mah ina tube stays light and easier to remove. As for carrying I used a small homemade plastic box which just fitted the transmitter,starter(14 cells),prop wrench,Plug wrench 5/16 with handle,small glow plug igniter with meter(1800mah),and plugs,prop. If you couldn't get it started you had major internal problems.Hope this helps. John
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:55 AM   #28
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic
Chad,
I carry three - one for me, and two to lend to the guys who ALLWAYS forget theirs! Yes, I am the guy who has a spare of everything in the flight box/truck/trailer!
I'll attest to that! I ran into Andrew at the Tillsonberg Fun Fly and he had spare helecopter parts in his truck even though he didn't have a chopper to fly!!!!!
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:11 PM   #29
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
If you want to get real techy instead of using the throttle to activate the onboard glow driver, you can use a micro servo to turn the switch on/off installed on the retract channel as long as your not using it. Its yours to command at the flip of a switch on your Tx at any time the radio is on!

I've seen this used an many aerobatic aircraft and sports planes alike. Just another suggestion.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:29 AM   #30
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

Andrew,
You think like I do. I have 2 in my tote along with a plug and my starter and transmitter, 5/16 nut driver and screw driver. My tote is 1/4" clear plastic with dividers 8.5x9.75". The starter has 12 C cells in a pack under it in a case. Makes it easy to handle and also protects the tran. when you are moving the bird. I can remember a few antenna's being broken and switches knocked off.
Also somebody must be real young if they get rid of every engine that won't idle properly. I probably have about a dozen carbs(spare) for that reason. Also the tolerances were not that good back then. How many people tear the back cover off now before running it. Sometimes you had enough crap inside to start another engine. It is very far and few that it happens now. My gosh they even polish them now on the inside. They don't look like they have been operated on with a file.
John
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in