Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 11:06 PM   #31
Youngguy
RCC Contributor

I am: Bruce B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z & 18MZ

Total Props: 4

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Oops! Don't know what happeened on that reply. We are planning on Jet Cats. I am pretty sure I will be using the P-70 in the XL. The owner of the F-86 is convinced that bigger is better, he my go with the P-80.
Let me know on the site, the longer it takes the less choice we will have on dates.
My concept for a rally is a weekend of trading information and flying with very little organizational work. Maybe a barbeque and some beers during one of the days.
Let me know.
Youngguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:12 PM   #32
Youngguy
RCC Contributor

I am: Bruce B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z & 18MZ

Total Props: 4
Thats the one. It is now ready for paint but I don't want to do it untill I have the engine sorted out. I hate doing patch ups to a new airplane after installing the equipment. The engine may require some changes around the mount area.
Youngguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:28 AM   #33
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Yeah, mounting the engine is a piece of cake...it is getting all the components placed within reach of the leads that is probably the biggest challenge.........

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-19-2003, 12:24 AM   #34
gbruce
RCC Apprentice

I am: G.Bruce

Hi Jeremy

This is the "other" Bruce in Calgary..

I am quite disappointed in the general lack of enthusiasm for JEts in the West...Perhaps it is the cost?...Lack of a focal point for Jet enthusiasts?? Lack of appropriate flying spots?

As you know I fly Electric Jets and would LOVE to attend ,if you will have me.

I showed up at the Innisfail Jet/Scale rally that was VERY poorly attended , I brought along my EDF F-18 but the wind was horendous. Perhaps that is why nobody bothered??I am working on a Ta-183 which will have retracts and should put on a good show.

Funny that I went to an Airdrie Funfly in Sept. and when I launched my Hornet the whole audience got up and were plastered to the fence to watch...perhaps they were expecting a disaster..LOL Anyway it went off the Bungee OK and the crowd was very agreeable and applauded after the landing.

There were over 100 people at this one!! Hope I created a little bit of a Jet Buzz for others.

Time will tell.

Anyhow if you don't put your nose up to much I would like to attend the Jet rally as well LOL

Bruce
gbruce is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:53 PM   #35
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Jeremy.... Is this event likely to happen? or do you know at this stage?

Old 01-15-2004, 11:44 PM   #36

Total Props: 57
I'm workin on it Shooting for the 3rd weekend in July
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:24 AM   #37
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Great...there is another one brewing in Idaho, but that is a looooong drive....

Old 01-16-2004, 10:38 AM   #38
gbruce
RCC Apprentice

I am: G.Bruce

Hi Jeremy

Have you given any thought to having a Scale/Jet rally in Airdrie, our club has access to the Airport and being so close to Calgary would at least draw alot of people/spectators.

Advertizing is a no brainer,any Television station would do an "Around Town" announcement ...there are almost 1,000,000 people here! event would need a little exposure for alot of responce.

THere used to be a Scale contest held here called "Classic Scale" don't know why it died.but I 'm sure with a little enthusiam and dedication we could "DO" a very nice show..Call it "CANJET 1"

This would HAVE to include ALL "JET LIKE" models until it got big enough to do EDF,ICDF and Turbines exclusively. Great planes Prop-Jets and pusher jets come to mind as an "EASY" way for people to get started.

Either way, I'll do what I can down here to promote/advertize no matter where it is.

Bruce

Tele:948-7352
gbruce is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:55 PM   #39

Bruce,
The thing with Airdrie, or Edmonton, or whatever is this,
If somebody else wants to do it, great, I really don't care where it's held. If I'm going to be doing the organizing and everything like that though, it's got to be local to me. It's not like a regular funfly. I have local sponsors for safety equipment donations (extinguishers, first aid etc), I can go to the field the day before and set up what is needed (outhouses, flight lines etc) and I can deal in person with the people I need to. If it's done in Airdrie or whatever, that's to far for me to be dealing with. If you want to take the ball and run with it that's fine with me. Personally I have very little time to devote to this so if I do set it all up, it's for you guys, the pilots. The 2 previous times I hosted the rally, it was $500 out of pocket for me personally for county event fee's and outhouse rentals. I've never made that back, and that was ok. The first year was a blast, the second year was a bust. The only reason I am willing to do this again is the jet population in Western Canada, and specifically Alberta has increased a tremendous amount. I'll put in the work that I can, but it's got to be at least somewhat convenient for me. Like I say, if you or somebody else has a field that is easier access, and wants to grab the ball and run with it, by all means go ahead. I just can't devote the time to doing it somewhere that I have to drive an hour or two just to get too to set it all up.
As for promotion, the previous 2 years I held the rally, it was not allowed to be open to the public for spectators. This was a county bylaw for the airport, I don't know what the airdrie airport/county would or wouldn't allow, but here are a couple things to keep in mind.

1. A good field for hosting the event is needed.
2. Fire fighting equipment is a must, extinguishers and a fire dept that isn't to far out is a minimum, if you can have an onsight truck that would be better, but not totally necessary.
3. Due to the nature of the Jets, first aid is a smart idea, it is with props as well, but even for something as simple as a burn.
4. Rest room facilities, specifically if you are going to invite the public.
5. Concession, not necessary, but nice to have, it's nice to at the very least have somebody who will collect money and make a lunch run for the pilots.
6. Safety officers, both at the entrance gate and on the flight line, mostly to keep spectators safe, most of the pilots are very good about Jet safety, but you wouldn't want a small child running out from a crowd and falling on a jet, getting hit by something, or even just running behind one while running.
7. When at a full scale airport, you MUST have access to a radio for any full scale activity. Issuing a NOTAM is a very wise idea as well.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone else from doing this, in fact, I just want a local rally, I'd really prefer if somebody else wanted to do this, it just fell on my shoulders again as I've done the last 2. I'd really rather just be able to show up, pay my entry and fly
So, that's where I stand, I'm willing to do the organizing if it's local. I'm very happy to attend the event if it's not

Jeremy
Old 01-19-2004, 01:49 PM   #40

Ok guys, I've got permission for the field I was hoping to use, I'll be going out there this week just to look it over and make sure it will be cool for our needs. The runway is 3150' long x 60' wide. There will probably be room for campers if needed but I'm not sure yet. I'll post more info as I hear it.

Tentative dates are July 17th and 18th 2004.

Jeremy
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in