Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
BansheeBoy
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jeff.S

Total Props: 10
Nitro Race engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am fairly new to the hobby, I have been throwing around the idea of buying a pylon racer of some kind, just for fun(this is not my first plane) . Listening to other members at the club and getting some ideas, I have been told you can but a high performance engine for these type of planes. Is there in fact race engines a person can buy ? If so who makes them and what is a well respected brand? I know haven't given any size of plane or engine because I am just trying to learn about this pylon thing. I do know I want a 2 cycle and nitro powered. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
BansheeBoy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
atc666
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Adam Clarke
Radio of choice:
JR 9303 2.4
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Re: Nitro Race engine

I have no experience with these, but have heard good things about them. The manufacturer is Jett Engines

MAAC# 75232
Aeroworks 75cc Extra 260
DA 85
JR 9303 2.4
atc666 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Ed Smith

If you are just casualy interested this will probably put an end to it. The Top rated engine of choice for Q500 type pylon racing is the Nelson N40. It is a .40 size all out racing engine. This is not a plaything, it is meant for one purpose only. The cost is $425.00 US. They are built in the US by Nelson Competition Engines. They are distributed by
Performance Specialties.

www.pspec.com
  Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Smith View Post
If you are just casualy interested this will probably put an end to it. The Top rated engine of choice for Q500 type pylon racing is the Nelson N40. It is a .40 size all out racing engine. This is not a plaything, it is meant for one purpose only. The cost is $425.00 US. They are built in the US by Nelson Competition Engines. They are distributed by
Performance Specialties.

www.pspec.com
Ed, you say that the Nelson N40 is a top rated engine choice for Q500 and is an all out racing engine but even at $425 US it seems a pretty reasonable price. There must be more expensive engines for pylon racing, are there not??

I'm just asking out of curosity as I know a few of the car guys who are really deep into racing and some of the engines these guys buy are upwards of $600 and $700 for a .21 size engine. I am just asumeing here but I would think that pylon racing would require as much or more high performance as far as engines go as would car racing, would it not??

If you would be so kind, perhaps this would be an opportunity for you to help the rest of us understand these engines a bit more. I for one would really like to learn more about pylon racing and the power requirements.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Ed Smith

Sorry Gary,

I had the whole answer for you all typed out then it dissapeared from the screen. I am not going to do it all over again. In fact I think I will retire from this Forum until the problems are sorted out.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
BansheeBoy
RCC Master Contributor

Smile Re: Nitro Race engine

Well that sucks. I just get some answers about pylon racing and the guy who seems to know something about it bows out of the forum.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
Frequentcrasher
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeff M

Alrighty, I'll wade in where Ed left off. No Gary, there aren't more expensive Q500 engines. MB and others make a wickedly expensive racing engines, but only for FAI. I don't think the MB is available in North America, but don't quote me on that one. For your purposes Banshee boy, I'll tell you that 95% of racers run Nelson engines. They have a new Long Stroke version that really hauls, but is a bit more complicated to set up and run effectively. The other 5% run Jetts (who now have a Long Stroke too) or the older (no more parts available) Webra Q engine with a Nelson pipe. There is a new racing engine put out by Profi with integrated crank bearings that is supposed to take the Nelson's to task, but I've never seen one ran, so can't speak to it. A Nelson Q500 .40 will turn a racing prop at around 23-25000 rpm. We out here in the west de-tune our Nelsons by taking the mini-pipe out of the muffler. That way, the guys with Webra's can compete with a fully functioning Nelson mini-pipe. My Webra's turn a 8.5x7.5 around 18000 rpm. My Nelson will turn a 8.75x7.5 around 19000. Close enough for flying to be the only difference in winning races. Which I can't seem to do! I'm only speaking about Q500 racing engines thus far. When the Q40 Nelson and Jett come up, that's another story (Different plane designs, smaller prop, a little different timing, more RPM) I suggest finding a good working Webra Q and a Nelson pipe from Pspec and a Q500 ARF as a great way to start racing. Careful though, you may not want to fly anything else after. Sport flying after a race will seem boring! Hope that helps.
Jeff
Old 04-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #8
BansheeBoy
RCC Master Contributor

Thank You.

I don't feel cheated now...

Jeff
Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

You said you want to get one "just for fun"...

Instead of spending all you dough on a Nelson, you could always spend a little less on a Jett .40 or .46 and have a lot of fun. Jetts are also excellent engines, made to a very high quality and run superbly.

I have a SPort Jett .46 that I have flown for years and it is my favourite glow engine. It is finding a new home this summer in a Lanier Dominator "race" plane, although I will be sport flying it only.

Check out the Jetts... you wont be dissapointed.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Frequentcrasher
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeff M

Here's an option: With the new Long stroke engines coming out and racers updating to them, you should be able to find a used short stroke nelson pretty easily. About $160-200.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in