Hobby Zone Cub upgrades? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:44 PM   #21
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
Re: Hobby Zone Cub upgrades?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thought I'd dig this thread up again. I've ordered my stuff for upgrading the Cub, which include an HXT 2900kv inrunner, Turnigy Plush 25A esc, 4 new servos, Spektrum AR6100e receiver, and 3 3S 1300 Zippy FlightMax packs.

I'll be running the motor through the stock gearbox and with the stock prop. It'll be turning somewhere in the 970kv range with the 3:1 box, so it should have a bit more performance over stock. Run times should also be improved.

I'm also looking at adding ailerons, hence the two extra servos. I have a nasty wing I painted up that I'll try the ailerons out on. Should be a fun little project!

The pics are of a new battery box and gear mount I've made up to strengthen up the landing gear and also to make the whole lower pod more sturdy in general. I've also gone up to 2.5" Dubro tires in an effort to get the thing to take off out of grass. I'm getting tired of hand launching my planes!

I'll add more pics once the equipment comes in from Hobby City. Should be here any day.

Tyler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gear mount.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	42718   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	42719   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	42720   Click image for larger version

Name:	top.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	42721  

Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #22
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Well, got my stuff. I've completed the whole project and test flew it today.

No real issues except that the Turnigy in-runner shaft is slightly smaller than the stock motor shaft. No biggy, just built of the shaft with a drop of CA and then a little CA in the pinion and put it on. I won't be able to get the pinion off with anything less than a hammer. Good thing I don't intend to use that motor for anything else!

Here's some of the install pics from the power setup:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	motor in mount.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	42858   Click image for larger version

Name:	receiver, servos.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	42859   Click image for larger version

Name:	servos installed.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	42860  
Old 01-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #23
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Also did the ailerons today. Some more pics of that little project:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cutout.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	42861   Click image for larger version

Name:	beveled aileron.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	42862   Click image for larger version

Name:	under wing.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	42863  

Old 01-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #24
marco2236
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Marc A.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 10+

Ailerons look good, I hope mounting the servos like that dont weaken the wing too much. have you tried flying it yet, or is to wintery out for that.

BTW.. I like what you have done with the landing gear rubber...

MAAC #81823... Valley Model Aeronautics Club.
marco2236 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #25
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco2236 View Post
Ailerons look good, I hope mounting the servos like that dont weaken the wing too much. have you tried flying it yet, or is to wintery out for that.

BTW.. I like what you have done with the landing gear rubber...
I flew it this afternoon but the wind was really gusty. That coupled with a vibration problem made me bring it back down very quickly. The prop shaft is the tiniest bit bent but it's causing a prop vibration at about 2/3s throttle. Need a new shaft.

It does fly pretty decently, though. If I didn't have the ailerons and the extra power on it it would've got blown away for sure.

The wheels are 2.5". It was the first time I tried them out and I was able to take off in the snow. The extra power certainly helps that too. Full up elevator and power and off she goes!

I'm going to try it again tomorrow afternoon. The wind is supposed to be around 5kms tomorrow. Perfect for a second test flight.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #26
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

I got another test flight in but fried my ESC. Too much motor for the controller. Dumb mistake on my part! I've got a 40amp replacement on the way.

Much nicer day and very low wind. The Super Cub is surprisingly aerobatic with ailerons and more power! It really climbs strong now and once I get my replacement ESC and prop gear shaft, I'll see if it can hover.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #27
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

New update: Turns out the SC prop shafts are crappy and none are straight. I bought a brand new gear box with prop shaft and the new one was even worse than the original. The gear was also installed off-round, so it caused some binding with the pinion. I'll never be able to fly it at more than half throttle with that kind of warpage.

So I'm scrapping the inrunner and stock gearbox in favour of a ply firewall with the Hobby City HXT motor mount and a Turnigy outrunner. More updates to come once I get the new equipment.

PS: My 25A Turnigy Plush ESC that I thought was fried is working fine. I think it may have gone into thermal shutdown, but it seems to work fine now. The new motor I'm getting pulls 24A with a 10x10 on 3s, according to someone who tested it, so it should work well. I'm going to try a smaller APC prop with it to make better runtime. Power will never be an issue, even with a smaller prop on this little lightweight plane, so I'm gunning for long runtimes with the 1300 LiPos.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:44 AM   #28
Steevo
RCC Apprentice

I am: Steve R
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 0

I have been running lipo power in my stock Super Cub for a year now. It is an awesome performer, even on floats! (GWS Flaots).
I have a few friends doing the same and none of us have had any problems. Its basically the same speed controller as the FW190, so just remove the jumper and go lipo. Cheap fun!
The 1300 packs fit no problem, but I modified my battery box to slide a 1800ma or 2200ma lip vertically up into the plane. The C of G is a bit forward but a few clicks of the trim takes care of it. It will go vertical in a small wind, and even do outside loops.
Steevo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #29
marco2236
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Marc A.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 10+

Hey Tyler, what size of servo's did you use in the wing to control the ailerons? I found some Walkera Micro helicopter servos and thats what Im using on mine.. just have to run and get more epoxy, then I'll post some pics..

MAAC #81823... Valley Model Aeronautics Club.
marco2236 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #30
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco2236 View Post
Hey Tyler, what size of servo's did you use in the wing to control the ailerons? I found some Walkera Micro helicopter servos and thats what Im using on mine.. just have to run and get more epoxy, then I'll post some pics..
I got some small Turnigy servos for it from Hobby City. They look to be knock-offs of the HS-65. They work great! They're Turnigy 1160A servos. I used them to replace the two stock ones and then two in the wings.

I've propped down considerably on my setup. I'm using an 8x6 APC-e prop now. It draws around 16amps at full throttle while holding the plane stationary. So it probably pulls closer to 14 or so at full throttle level flight. That should make for some decent run times. I haven't had it out for awhile due to the weather. Just too much wind lately. And if it's not windy, it's too damn cold!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in