CG Matrix 40 --> Lanier Razor 3D - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
ARF / ARC Aircraft Discuss anything and everything ARF or ARC related.

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 01:20 AM   #1
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1
CG Matrix 40 --> Lanier Razor 3D

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Anyone know anything about this one? Tower is selling them for 109 Usd.

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/matrix.htm

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
Thapgood
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Goldberg Matrix

Hi Claude,

Full review here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=442

GH wants $269 cnd. Biggest discrepency in pricing I have ever seen.

I was looking for one but the pre-assembled wing restricts shipping from US by normal means.

Really looks & flies nice tough...

I settled for the Funtana 40
Thapgood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Yes, that is basically where I am at too. Settling for the Funtana 40. Nuts I was looking to get something a little nicer and flashier.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:43 AM   #4
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Well ... I looked at the Twist and decided it would get old and boring fast. I looked at the Funtana and although it is a very popular plane - it is boxy, has some very obvious weakpoints to the airframe structure, and looks like it wouldn't last my interest all that long either.

I really wanted to go with the Goldberg Matrix but I couldn't find one very easily. So, I settled with something very similar. The Lanier Razor 3D.

http://www.lanierrc.com/lrcprivate/r...es/razor3d.htm

I am going to use either the Irvine 53 or the 90 four stroke depending on where the balance point comes out to when I get everything else mounted in the airframe.

I am looking forward to getting this one up in the air
FaceDeAce is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
matthew cotton
RCC Apprentice

I am: Matthew Cotton
Radio of choice:
DX6
# of RCs: 15

Nice why don't you do a build thread for us I haven't seen or heard too much on this plane.

Happy flying!

Matt
matthew cotton is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Sure, I can easily snap some pictures as the build goes along.

If you follow the link I provided above, there is another link there that will take you to the RCU review. I haven't looked much over at RCU but I am pretty sure there is already a build thread and a bunch of pointers too over there.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
matthew cotton
RCC Apprentice

I am: Matthew Cotton
Radio of choice:
DX6
# of RCs: 15

Ya I've read all those rcu reviews but I think they are afraid to say anything bad about the plane, it seems like all planes reviewed are the best and they should be your next plane so I would like to hear form you.

Thanks Matt
matthew cotton is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:12 PM   #8
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

OK, will do. I had to search alot to find anything about this plane, but I did find a few other reviews and comments on it. It supposedly flies very very well and will take you higher levels. I did find more than one comment regarding a minor high speed tip stall quirk, but we'll see if that proves out or if it is just the other guy's setup. Actually all of my more aerobatic planes do this when you pull back really hard at high speed. It is short and snappy. If you want stability this is not the plane for you. If you like the feel of balancing by your belly button on an over inflated exercise ball then this should be a good choice. (At least that is what I interpreted from the little bit of research so far)

Keep watching for my own build assessment and actual test flight. But it probably will not be until later this week or even weekend before I get a chance to do anything with it.

I got the black/red/orange one. The underside of the wings and stab are black/white checker board. Looks really sharp! I will have no issues with top-bottom orientation. I really like the sleek lines of the plane (reminiscent of pattern plane) and the colors pop.

I am hoping to refine my pattern skills and dabble more into the 3D realm with a more capable plane. This Razor or the Matrix fit the description. If you look closely - except for the colors and cowl they look like they came from the same workbench.

We'll soon see if the money was well spent on the flying capabilities or just the popping color scheme.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Here is a good page showing the Razor. The guy did a great job with the pictures. This is the color scheme that I purchased.

http://astro.umsystem.edu/andy/rc/razor/index.htm

I am going to use either the Irvine 53 or the 90 four stroke depending on where the balance point comes out to when I get everything else mounted in the airframe.

I am looking forward to getting this one up in the air!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:23 PM   #10
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

I am going to use the Irvine 53 to power this ship. HS-425 (ail) and HS-475 (rud, elev) servos on 6 volts (2/3A 1200 mAh pack).

The plane is going together fine. There are some minor issues with it that a "builder" would want to correct as you go along. But overall it is a decent ARF and I hope it flies as well as its good looks. My assessment is that it is a nice plane but the overall quality of the construction is lacking and below expectations for the price. It is a nice decent ARF but for the premium price the quality needs to be alot better than what I am seeing. The quality level of the kit indicates to me the a sticker price of $80 cheaper would be more in line. I am not saying it is crap. I am just saying it is overpriced. The Seagull ARFs are better built and priced where they should be. I wouldn't buy this plane again unless it was a very very good deal ($150 range)

Issues noted so far.
- Landing gear plate is an absurd 1/8" lite poor quality ply. I laminated a another 1/8" decent plate to it (stiff dark brown material typically used for clip-board backing actually). With the OEM setup the plate was "working" and cracking just on the workbench during my assembly/setup handling. I shudder to think about the results of the first take-off roll or a landing that is anything more than a feather touch.

- The covering is done well but there are some seams that need to be gone over and there is the odd spots in tight corners on the wing and fuse that need a patch piece put on to ensure all wood is covered.

- The supplied wheels are too small. The wheel pant setup is inadequate. The pants are not an issue for me, I do not use wheel pants. The supplied axles are just mild steel el-cheapo bolts. Some decent axles are needed.

- The servo mounting tray in the fuse is weak - lite poor quality ply. Laminated another 1/8" layer on it.

- The supplied engine mounting bolts and blind nuts are absurdly small. Due to the variety of engines that may be used and each modeller's preference for orientation, ARF makers should only mark the engine centers and thrust lines on the firewall and leave the mounting to the builder. I will be using the supplied mounts, but not the bolts or holes as pre-drilled.

- Glue is used very sparingly. A little too light actually. Go over every joint you can reach with a shot of thin CA and follow with a bead of med or thick CA in the typical high stress areas.

My next report will be actual test flight. Hopefully this weekend if I get the engine and tank setup done AND the sun shines a bit. I haven't seen anything but clouds and rain here since last saturday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in