Some people need to give their head a shake! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 05-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #11
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336
Re: Some people need to give their head a shake!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
A local fellow here bought a Sig 1/4 scale cub and an OS 120 four stroke about 15 years ago. It was his first plane and he never finished it. Now he wants me to buy it. The plane is most likely not salvagable but the engine is NIB. He wants full new price for the engine. It's obsolete as far as parts go as the warranty has expired plus prices of the new ones are less than he paid. How do you explain that to him without sounding like you are just wanting a bargain?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #12
aquila
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jeremy J

Total Props: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
A local fellow here bought a Sig 1/4 scale cub and an OS 120 four stroke about 15 years ago. It was his first plane and he never finished it. Now he wants me to buy it. The plane is most likely not salvagable but the engine is NIB. He wants full new price for the engine. It's obsolete as far as parts go as the warranty has expired plus prices of the new ones are less than he paid. How do you explain that to him without sounding like you are just wanting a bargain?

Easy, just tell him you're not interested, if he asks why you bring up the price of a brand new one, explain that while the engine may have never been run, it is not a new engine. Corrosion could be in the bearings, while unlikely if there is any manufacture defect or it doesn't run properly (which can certainly happen) there is no warranty or easy parts support etc.

But I get what you're saying. It amazes me how people will say "it's a brand new engine" when it's years old. Never run does not mean brand new.

Recently the one that I rolled my eyes at was an engine I was offered at what seemed an attractive price. I was then informed it was in USD. Seller from Canada talking to me in Canada....... *sigh.... That made it only $115 less than a brand new one, granted they were including shipping BUT, it was an earlier generation engine which means when it was purchased, our dollar would have been pretty close to par with the USD. Today, at $1.34, they'd be making a pretty good profit. Despite the fact that it has never been run and the warranty was transferable, I'd rather buy the current generation for a hundred bucks difference.
aquila is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:26 AM   #13
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Yes I had that happen to me once too. A lady in Winnipeg selling her late husband's stuff. We had a price agreement and then "By the way - that would be US dollars." No go! I dropped the deal, as a Canadian I will not do business with another Canadian in US dollars. That is an insult!

Never mind the fact that I came away with the distinct feeling she was trying to pull a fast one...

Old 05-29-2017, 07:41 AM   #14
Mytmerc83
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Ryan T
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster TX16S
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 6

I had a very similar thing happen to me, was talking to a fellow in Toronto about his used, well flown 3DHS Edge. He has it posted on one of the US site the price was ok but then I read USD so I contacted to see if a deal could be made. No dice!! At his USD price it was only $175 less than to build my new one.

And Kijiji to me lately is a waste of time or comedy hour on the internet.
Mytmerc83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #15
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Like , the new in the box engine but only run once. ISSUE..... one bad lean run, can ruin a piston ring so fast ! Takes several rich runs for the ring to keep its tension.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:26 PM   #16
DO335
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Holmes View Post
You never know; P.T Barnum (I think it was) opined there was a sucker born every minute an four more to take him in.
Apparently, the phrase was not by Barnum.

There is disagreement from whence it originated:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%...n_every_minute

Nevertheless, it does appear that Trumpetman has indeed found a remarkably clueless individual.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #17
Orion1971
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Kevin K
Radio of choice:
futaba 10CAG
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 0

Kijiji strikes again. Just saw an add for an Eagle II kit...........for $500 lol. Thought maybe it was a typo since that kit is currently available from GH for $134.99 and maybe he meant $50. Curiosity got the best of me so I messaged him and asked if it was a typo and mentioned the current price. Nope, no typo lol. I was promptly informed that his grandfather purchased it in 89 for well over $300 lol. Ya, maybe if he bought the engine, radio and everything else at the same time lol. I wished him luck selling it and had a good laugh.
Do these people really think that someone would hand over that kind of money without looking into what they were buying even the least little bit ??? Lmao
Old 06-03-2017, 10:41 PM   #18
Me109G
RCC Contributor

I am: William
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX9
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 4

---------------

Last edited by Me109G; 06-03-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Me109G is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #19
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Some people are just plane greedy.

A number of years back we had a guy come to a club meeting and ask us about a used CG Eagle II that he was thinking of buying of the asking price of $500. Turns out that the seller was a former club member and we knew the plane well. Our former president was totally shocked by the asking price. "I pulled that thing out of the garbage, glued it back together and gave it back to him! And he wants how much?!"
Old 06-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #20
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Some people just like to prey on the innocent and uninformed. Always do your own research, homework and ask for advice from others on what your buying and then simply walk away if the price sounds ridiculous.

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in