RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 09-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #1
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87
Glow Engine Bearings

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
As our flying season winds down at least here in Ontario I have a few tips on oiling your glow engine. This should also apply after each flying day. Our raw fuel is very harmful to exposed metal used in bearings. Even if you hook up your glow driver and use your starter you will never get all the fuel out of the crankcase. Take a look at the pictures I've enclosed, most were rusted from fuel left in the crankcase. If you can't get oil in the motor right away at least block the muffler and carb and even the oil vent on 4-Strokes to stop air from getting in, until you can oil the motor. I use a 50/50 mix of air tool oil and red tranny fluid as my after run lubricant. Its been discussed many times on this site before. But, any oil will be better than no oil. I fly mostly OS Alpha 4-Strokes and for the winter I remove the cam cover to get oil in the motor. But every Alpha I have is always full of oil because of the way it gets circulated through the engine. Alpha's are the best lubricated engines I've ever seen. Its so important to oil glow motors but not many people bother to do it. I use a ink refill dropper for mine. It will even fit inside the oil vent on all 4-Strokes. Don't put it off, oiling is so important to all glow engines. Need any bearings, send me a PM. Cheers Floyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4252.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	1062289   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4255.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	1062297   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4257.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	1062305   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4259.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	1062313  

floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: Glow Engine Bearings

All very good points.

I have been using that same 50/50 mix for over 3 decades for both assembly and after run lube. Neither damage the seals or gaskets.

I also agree keeping out the atmosphere is important, (more specifically any moisture) but capping the intake and exhaust serves to keep your transport and storage area clean by minimizing the chance any residue leaks out.

It should also be mentioned that although all are vulnerable, the quality of the bearing metal does make some difference in durability. Pac Rim bearings may be less expensive. You pay for that in less life even with good care and feeding.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
Raptor30V2
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jason
Radio of choice:
DX6
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
The compression stroke wears out bearings so no amount of lube will save them. All need replacing and is considered normal wear maintenance.
Raptor30V2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor30V2 View Post
The compression stroke wears out bearings so no amount of lube will save them. All need replacing and is considered normal wear maintenance.
The article focuses on preventing bearing failure due to rust, not normal wear and tear. Most bearings in RC Motor's get neglected and end up rusting, not wearing out. Cheers Floyd
Old 05-23-2017, 11:38 PM   #5
Raptor30V2
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jason
Radio of choice:
DX6
# of RCs: 3

Disagree if you take one apart you will see the hammering of the race in only the bottom section. I use cool power fuel and have never had a bearing rust, always changed due to wear.
Raptor30V2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Disagree if you take one apart you will see the hammering of the race in only the bottom section. I use cool power fuel and have never had a bearing rust, always changed due to wear.
Why don't you start your own thread with your own opinion and see what people think of it. If you look at my pictures you'll see what I've experienced over the last 30+ years. Maybe your theory is right, but I see very few wore out bearings. Bearings are designed to take a load. I know guys that still don't balance any props. Cheers Floyd
Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Floyd,

Good reminder..... I use the red tranny fluid = red auto transmission fluid alone as a after run oil as I have most of a gallon jug on hand from the time I used to extensively service my own cars.
michaely is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaely View Post
Floyd,

Good reminder..... I use the red tranny fluid = red auto transmission fluid alone as a after run oil as I have most of a gallon jug on hand from the time I used to extensively service my own cars.
I only ad the air tool oil as a rust preventative. Air tools properly oiled will never rust. Tranny fluid is high in detergent to keep the engines clean from any gumming like Caster oil does over time. That's why I made my 50/50 mix. Cheers Floyd
Old 05-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #9
Skidoo55
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 13

Quote:
I disagree. I haven't changed as many as Floyd, but haven't changed any that just wore out. As for the bottom of the race being hammered, I guess that would make sense, but with the counterbalanced crankshaft I think that the impact at the bottom of the stroke is minimized. If it was hitting so hard that it was distorting the bearing, then the whole motor would be shaking itself apart and probably come out of the plane before the bearing failed.
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
pierretessier
RCC Apprentice

I am: Pierre T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaely View Post
Floyd,

Did the same for all my engines. Never had a problem.
pierretessier is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in