BigBreeze
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Marc B
Radio of choice:
JR9303
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Re: Snapping with Elev.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofler View Post
Reduce the elevator throw or one day when you get into a tight spot and panic, it'll bite you big time.

SACRILEGE...never do this to a 3D model, MORE is BETTER!! Just learn to recognize when it is going to snap....they call them snappy caps for a reason!!
BigBreeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #12
astrofler
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Al E

Total Props: 3

when I want to hover I use a helicopter.

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Thanks for the replys and suggestions guys. The CG is in the middle of the balance range and requires just a touch of down elevator to fly inverted so I think that is OK. I will probably try raising the rons a bit like midair suggested. I will also tone down the elevator throws a bit on low and high rates and then fly the crap out of it. It is a very nice flying aircraft otherwise and is a very light aircraft dispite its large size. It flys very similar to my Funtana S.

Cheers

Curt

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:05 PM   #14
gkm41
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Gary

see, thought you would like it, I did... but I pushed it aside for my Extra, just personal flying style difference I guess. I had my como 90 in it and it was nice, Enjoy
gkm41 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:42 PM   #15
TomG
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Tom G

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
Hi guys... I have just finished getting my BME Cap 232 Maniac into the air with a ST G90 in the snoot. Although it flys very well, it does have a tendancy to snap roll when to much elevator is applied. My Funtana 40 does the same thing also. Other than the obvious (don't apply so much elev throw) is there anything else that can be done to counteract this problem or is it just the nature of the beast?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Curt
Yeah pretty much all the caps around that size are known for being "snappy". It makes it a more aerobatic plane, they are more unstable and will do a better snap roll, spins etc.
If you increase the throw enough, the plane will not snap since the both wings stall together. The problem occurs at that certain elev throw where one wing stalls first. You just need to learn where that is and use it to your advantage.
I have a smaller 40 sizer and it does the same thing, just have to learn the planes habits.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #16
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
Talking Re: Snapping with Elev.

I'm on my third yellow aircraft Cap 10 B. Probably one of the worse planes for high speed snapping. Flying along at full throttle and blip the elevator and it will do the quickest snap you've ever seen. Slow speed or landing with flaps, there's no hint of snapping. Combination of high wing loading and airfoil is mostly responsible The wing is fat symetrical at the root and halfway out the span and very thin and almost flat at the tip. About the worse scenario you could get. Yet it's my most favorite aerobatic plane. Does two perfect lomcevacs in a row. Most planes are lucky to be able to do one. If you hold the controls in, it will go into a knifedge spin with the wing perfectly vertical and dropping like a stone. Just bought a 60 size ARF kit from China I'm electrifying. Hopely it'll fly the same.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #17
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Many higher performance aerobatic planes will tend to be "snappy" when appluying too much elevator.

If you see just how little elevator is used on many IMAC planes (my Extra's for instance) it is almost no movement! Yet the plane is very responsive for normal flying. Pull too much elevator, even at a higher rate of speed, and you can snap. Especialy when the flying speed is lower as at the top of loops, etc.

Just dial back the throw for normal aerobatics, and use high rates only for 3D'ing.

SOme models, like caps and especially the Giles 202 and 300 are very snappy...nature of the beast! But tame the throws and you can fly them just fine.

Being overweight (higher wing loading) amplifies the issue as well.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #18
goneflyin
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Don M

Total Props: 3

Wing loading is the biggest culprit here. I've seen many aircraft do this, and invariably they're heavily loaded. We're just spoiled by the unbelievable performance of some of the better designs that don't 'capsnap', and you'll see that they are very lightly loaded. These are the best for 3D. Try to put the airplane on a radical diet (light batteries, wingtubes, wheels, landing gear, etc etc) and it will improve.
I wouldn't raise the ailerons because you'll be adding to your snap problem when you're inverted and want to push hard.

Don
goneflyin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in