akb
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Closed Membership
Radio of choice:
N/A
# of RCs: N/A

Total Props: 3
Alberta Fire Bans

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
For turbine operators in Alberta for your information here is an article in the Calgary Herald on an interpetation of the provincial fire ban.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...296/story.html

In the Greater Calgary area there is a Level 3 fire ban in the County of Rockyview. Here is a link
http://www.rockyview.ca/Default.aspx...92&EntryId=420

To your local area in the province, conditions may vary. Please use common sense in this issue. If you feel that your area has a high risk factor involved in your due to little moisture in the last few weeks and you are in a forested area, dry grasses or crop stubble from a previous years crop is in your vicinty, give a second thought. When we have high energy crashes we can't control most times where it is going to happen. And remember we can all be excellent pilots, but all it takes is a mechanical or the dumb thumbs and it can be over in a heart beat. This is a hobby and not a lively hood, we can always fly our jets another day. If someones buildings, crops or grassland burn up then you are messing with someone's income.

You can also phone your local muncipality's fire marshall or cheif and tell them what your doing and they would be able inform you on their opinion, if they felt you would be safe.

You are the pilot in command, make the wise choice for you. Good flying and have a great Victoria Day weekend.

Alan
akb is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
dtymko
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dan T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z, JR 12X

Re: Alberta Fire Bans

Very Well Put Alan,

As the fire and terrain conditions may differ from region to region please use common sense when deciding when and where to fly.

Most fire bans include bans on ATVs on public/crown land. There are several reasons for this, the main one being the hot exhaust pipes. When an ATV operator drives through dry grass or stops their vehicle for a moment they leave the area and don't check for fire that may have started in their wake.

As an RC jet pilot we thoroughly search a crash site looking for parts and therefore spend considerable time at the scene to note any fire conditions.

As a Platoon Chief with our local fire department I have been in contact with our Fire Marshal and other fire officials of the Authority's having jursitiction in the surrounding area and they have no issue with our flying.

As with anything to do with fire, Be Carefull and Be Aware

Dan
dtymko is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
kev-o
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin f
Radio of choice:
Spektrum /Vcontrol

Total Props: 13

Agreed Dan you have done your homework which is more than most.

I think that the last thing the jet community or our hobby for that matter needs is bad publicity for starting a fire and possibly endangering people and or property and sombodies livelihood.

I think it would be very poor judgement to risk that and jeopordize so much.

Yes it's my opinion but I'm sure several would agree depending on the level of the ban.
It's not worth it
MA XLPRO2K Long live the flybar

Last edited by kev-o; 05-17-2012 at 05:42 PM.
kev-o is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
akb
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Closed Membership
Radio of choice:
N/A
# of RCs: N/A

Here is the provincial website that outline where all the fire bans are in Alberta. Please think before you fly.

https://albertafirebans.ca/

Alan
akb is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
furballll
RCC Contributor

I am: TODD DAVIS
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 245

very good job on the research alan, i might add one point to it though. electric flyers need to keep this thought in mind just as much if not more since there are a higher percentage in that catagory. fire bans and extreme fire risks are not something to take lightly, it takes that one in a million hit to cause a fire, turbine, lipo, or otherwise. play safe and smart.
furballll is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in