Multirotor noob, looking for opinions - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
ksolomon
RCC Apprentice

I am: Keith S.
Radio of choice:
Turnigy 9X
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Question Multirotor noob, looking for opinions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So with the holidays rolling around, I'll be getting a nice bonus from a client that keeps me on retainer. I've been interested in multi rotors for a while, but the prices have finally reached a point where I can realistically get into it. Right now, I've got two packages I'm looking at, so I'd like to get some opinions.

First, we have this: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/x525-v3-q...lticopter.html

I like this package because it's an all-in-one kinda deal, but I've never dealt with GoodLuckBuy before.

Second, there's a package made up of the following:
1 - http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...6&productname=
1 - http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...1&productname=

This one is a little less expensive, and I've dealt with RCTimer in the past, so I'm comfortable shopping with them.

I realize they're basically the same machine, but there may be something I'm missing due to my lack of experience with multis. Of the two packages, which would be the better option? I'm not looking to do anything fancy, just mainly fly it around my yard, and be the only guy at the flying field (that I know of) with a quad.
ksolomon is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15
Re: Multirotor noob, looking for opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksolomon View Post
So with the holidays rolling around, I'll be getting a nice bonus from a client that keeps me on retainer. I've been interested in multi rotors for a while, but the prices have finally reached a point where I can realistically get into it. Right now, I've got two packages I'm looking at, so I'd like to get some opinions.

First, we have this: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/x525-v3-q...lticopter.html

I like this package because it's an all-in-one kinda deal, but I've never dealt with GoodLuckBuy before.

Second, there's a package made up of the following:
1 - http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...6&productname=
1 - http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...1&productname=

This one is a little less expensive, and I've dealt with RCTimer in the past, so I'm comfortable shopping with them.

I realize they're basically the same machine, but there may be something I'm missing due to my lack of experience with multis. Of the two packages, which would be the better option? I'm not looking to do anything fancy, just mainly fly it around my yard, and be the only guy at the flying field (that I know of) with a quad.
Goodluckybuy is a hit and miss. Some guys have received different parts or missing parts from their orders and other have had no problem. I would go with RCTimer as they will get back to you if you have a problem. Nina is very good.
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

I like the GLB 550.

I now have 2, both fly very well, and I guess I would say I am one of the guys that has had good luck with my buy (LOL)

Honestly, I dont know anyone in my circle of friends that was not able to get the GLB525 flying stock. The only problems I have seen with people that I know with the GLB525 is when they started messing with it. Build it the way it comes and it flies fine.

My first 525 has an FPV setup in it and I flew it extensively all summer. I got it April of this year and its got hundreds and hundreds of flights on it.

Also- the GLB 525 youhave shown there has extra "frills" of the LED's. Do you really need that? (YES if you dont plan n flying it FPV)

If not, here is the base version (that I have) for considerably less. 45 bucks less to be exact

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/x525-v3-q...lticopter.html

IMHO its the simplest way to get into quads. All you need in one kit. It even comes with props, so after you assemble it and add your RX, you are ready to fly.

Also, IMHO, the plastic frame from RC timer (and HK) are crap. One whack and its broken. Seen it a few times now. Where my 525 would have just bounced, that plastic frame broke.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
ksolomon
RCC Apprentice

I am: Keith S.
Radio of choice:
Turnigy 9X
# of RCs: 5

Well, the main reason I picked the package I did for the 525 was because it has the MWC board. There's nothing wrong with the KK board from what I've read, I just prefer the MWC to the KK.

And yes, the LED strips are a "meh, whatever" addition to the package.
ksolomon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Mark L @ FL

GLB is very hit or miss, sometimes missing parts sometimes fine.
The KK2 board is a good simple setup as well, no need for a PC to setup and tune.
  Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in