Hawker Sea Fury - Scratch! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #11
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Adam S

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Engine choice was tough, I did a lot of research on various engines, but I was pretty certain I wanted to build a radial engine into it. The Saito 90 3 cylinder was my initial choice, but read lots of reviews about it being quite under powered for its size. People were recommending the 120 size radial for these 60 size models. With its recommended prop it's rated at >2kg thrust. And the motor weighs around 800 grams. So light will be the name of this game. 9 lbs seems like a good number to aim for.
If you guys have digital documentation you'd be willing to part with I would definitely welcome it. I can either post my email or send me a pm and I'll give it that way.
Larry I live out in Innisfil, been looking at joining a club next year.
Warbird_ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

This mobile app won't let me quote or view other posts so it may take more time to reply to people.

Mike - where are you located? We could maiden these 2 at the same time in the new year.

Also, thanks to all for subbing in, will try to keep regular progress photos over the holidays
Old 12-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #13
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34
Re: Hawker Sea Fury - Scratch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird_ace View Post
This mobile app won't let me quote or view other posts so it may take more time to reply to people.

Mike - where are you located? We could maiden these 2 at the same time in the new year.

Also, thanks to all for subbing in, will try to keep regular progress photos over the holidays
I live in Moncton, NB
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #14
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Merry Christmas everyone, happy New Year, Happy Festivus to everyone else!

Not much progress to report so far. Currently working on ribs W5 out 11. One thing I'm glad I added to the inner wing (that I didn't add to the outer wing panels - now regretting) is building tabs. I pin a couple straight pieces to the plans along the building tabs drawn on, lined up with the nose. Now taking each rib I can easily sand, set down, sand, set down. Extremely easy to sand these pieces to proper shape without spending so much time finding a common alignment point. W4 and W5 have the re-engineered landing gear blocks for the new air retracts. These goodies are currently on an airplane from Singapore (as of Saturday), so hopefully I'll be seeing these next week!!!!!!

With my shift work, my goal is to sand down at least 1 pair of ribs per night. All goes well, I should be assembling next week.

Really regretting not taking the time for those buildings tabs on the outboard wings....

Pics to follow tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #15
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

Those tabs were likely there to ensure proper washout when assembling the ribs to the spars. May require some other method to get the washout you need.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #16
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

The tabs were actually never part of the original plan, I added them during the re-engineering process. I had planned to build some sort of jig to build the outer panels that I could add washout into. The degree of this isn't actually specified. I was going to add 5°, does that seem adequate enough?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0983_1451398886895.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	789570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0971_1451399012344.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	789586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0970_1451399131908.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	789594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0969_1451399192591.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	789634  

Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 PM   #17
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Well, I finally did it! Sadly, I committed my first error on this build! And it was the simplest of things to avoid. Always trust my instincts! I decided tonight I was going to finish shaping the centre wing panel. Got the bright idea to clamp them all together to check the profile out and make sure they all lined up. Sounds great and all. Except for the whole elliptical wing part! Yes, I neglected to realize this at the time. Right up until I noticed my spar slots weren't aligned either. Then I started to wonder if I was really that far off? Nope. Not at all. Put a spar in place, magically, everything lined up! Too bad I already shaved 1/8" off each rib.
Each measurement was made with digital calipers. And the variances between each rib is by fractions of a mm.
Hard lesson # 1: always trust your instincts! And your measurements!
Back to the balsa and knife........
Old 12-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #18
mwavesdave

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

5 degrees washout seems a bit much, seem to recall 2-3 degrees being the norm, but some online research will probably help with a firm answer.
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #19
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

On each of my warbirds that went together lacking plans I limited myself to 2.5 degrees washout, (or washin if building the wing inverted).
Old 01-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #20
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it, and will work them into the build when I get that far.
Little update for everyone.
I'm almost finished re-cutting the centre panel ribs, which I'm glad I did. The old ones I screwed up the first time had some imperfections I wasn't completely satisfied with. The new ones are much better, and I am satisfied burying them under balsa.
I do however require some assistance with a single pair of ribs. In order to achieve the accuracy for adding dihedral to the outer wing panels, my solution is to make these ribs out of 5/8" balsa, and run them thru a band saw at the required 5 °. With lightening holes of course. The spars are going to be wrapped in carbon fiber strips with tails that will actually extend past these angled ribs and get laminated up against the matching rib on the outer panel, essentially locking the panels together. What I require assistance with is the use of a band saw that's capable of making a nice 5° rip thru 2 ribs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in