Help with a letter for runway use - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 06-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
nate55
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Nathan Rondeau
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 0
Re: Help with a letter for runway use

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Dale ,

One thing from the back door approach is always have you homework in place , & ready to use ,

A ) If the airport is run by the provincial Government then it's a good reason to be in contact with Transport Canada, as a NOTAM will have to be in place to operate there , as well do you want a one off contact with the general airport Manager every time you or the club want's to fly , ( Winnipeg office is the best )

B) Radio communication is a must , the A/C frequency's are restricted, and you or the club will have to get a restricted radio permit from Industry Canada to operate , ( not difficult as I am a Federal Canadian Examiner ) and can help you or the club through the process .

C ) Its important to find out as I spoke above to see if the Airport was handed over to the town, back in 1998 the Alberta Government handed over allot off thier airport's to authorities and or to townships or county's .

D) I was deeply involved with the Cooking lake airport and formed a condo corp but that's something your not looking at all !!

E) If you have the blessing's of the airport people @ this time and your community are supportive you should be talking to your local Mayor and or Ward members hopefully you are living in Vermillian , and have talked to your ward and as well having his or her support .

F) making a formal presentation is something I have dealt with as I am the one with the help of another Jet member here in Edmonton that changed the land use by law . I can contest @ times it's good to know who's got the knife to your back , Keep those ones nice and close .

G) Set up a club presentation with council , that's very important and make it A FAMILY AFAIR , not a old boy's club , mom's and kids go along way ,

H ) You will have to stay positive whether its Jets or prop planes , Don't be discouraged from others as to whether your proficient or not this is a hobby and should always be treated as one , with out people like you we would be flying in the woods , We have lots of Jet people that are more than capable of good criticism leaving the negative out of your vocabulary , It will get you no where ,

I ) have your safety plan in place as it's a huge part of the plan ,

J ) there are provisions in the CARS act ( thats Transport Canada ) to allow the use of model airplanes @ airports , Kelly Williams was very correct in saying that a accident happen @ a airport and yes did cost some monies but remember common sense must pro vale ,

If you need any info as to people in places that will make a difference to your application feel free to contact me personally for any type of help and or regulations that will be helpfull to the plan ,

Cheers Nate Rondeau / Edmonton

Last edited by nate55; 06-18-2012 at 09:07 PM.
nate55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dale I

Wow Nate. Thats amazing info. I'll need to do more homework on this and get a few more things in line than I had anticipated but the path is much more clear.
I'll be in touch

Dale
Old 06-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
nate55
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Nathan Rondeau
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 9

Dale

Hope to met you @ Tofield in August , 10 to the 12 , It would be great for you to see a jet group in operation as well prop planes , I should have mentioned this in my last PM .

Cheers Nate .
nate55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor

Doesn't look like I can make that one Nate. I'm one of those Fort Mac workin guys and my shift starts on the thursday before.

Dale
Old 06-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #15
Kelly W
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Kelly W
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 6

Nate’s got some really good info there, nice post.

I would recommend you speak with a few others in the Edmonton Area. Bruce Bender (younguy), Wayne Beasley (Wayne22), and Bob Wonitoy. These guys are pretty level headed, respected by their peers, and will have some valuable experience to pass on. I’m in my 3rd year as Jet Chair, but Wayne did it before me… Bob W is the local jet committee member in the northern Alberta area, and just completed the process of having his club accept turbines. It was a very thorough process by the sounds of it, so definitely follow up with him... I can’t remember his RCC handle though, but his contact info is on the MAAC site in the jet section. Bruce is a club executive, and I've found him to be a very good ‘grounding post’ when I need honest and credible feedback on something.

The only comment I would make is with respect to section H, and feelings of negativity or others wanting to know if someone is ‘proficient’. I've been at this turbine thing for a decade now, and in that time almost every pilot I know is profoundly positive about welcome new members in and so on. The committee purposely eliminated the word ‘proficiency’ from a very significant policy last year, largely on Nate’s feedback from what I remember, so I don’t really understand where that comes from now. Last, I agree it’s a hobby, but unfortunately the world runs on money, meaning MAAC runs on money, and therefore we need to follow procedures and so on as if it is a business from time to time. If not, we would all be flying on our own, out in the woods, even quicker than the alternative route.

If someone takes my approach as negative, that’s an opinion, and as they say everyone has one... There’s nothing I can or will do to change that. All I need to say is that there’s a huge difference between a pessimist and a realist, or people that highlight problems vs. those that highlight them once they have a solution in hand. The committee’s we've had for the past 3 years are largely proactive, and I think the results speak for themselves. Every committee decision or recommendation has been a consensus, and the follow up ratification by the MAAC executive has also been consensus. We have a few things on deck, and I don’t see the trend changing. Not taking a proactive approach (such as encouraging mentorship) would almost certainly result in a true 'proficiency' test nation-wide, which would preclude any of the discussion in this thread... I would far rather be criticized now, vs let that happen later.

Kelly
Kelly W is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor

I have to say that it hasen't taken me very long to realize the amount of dedicated and extremely helpfull members of the the jet group. I'm at work now but I will be making a number of calls to people that from what I can see will give me all the direction I require and then some.
Thanks all. I realize this will not happen quickly, but I'm positive that it will end up giving the communittee another place to fly.

Dale
Old 06-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
Riptide
RCC Noob

I am: Ron L
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 1

Hello Dale,,,That Nathan guy is good people he got me going two years ago in those there turbiney things ,and what a rush he took the time with me to put me on the straight and narrow, and was always a phone call away if need be, 48 flights latter I still have a flyable jet.. When it came time to secure a site for myself Nate was the instrumental character ,everything he said was absolutely right ,and beleive you me not he has experienced negativaty like I have myself,he always emphized safety as the big factor and was always aware of his surroundings and people in play ,,,this is important because just when your about to soar like an eagle someone pulls out a fire arm and tries to put you down to the ground like the rest of them.....hopefully you take this information that these fellas have given, it is all good so good luck, this is of course my opinion and as stated in earlier comments we are all intitled to an opion, mines just more importatant than others,,,lol,,,,really good luck with this Dale
Riptide is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
Kelly W
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Kelly W
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 6

Well, again speaking in general, in a group of any reasonable size there are sure to be issues or disagreements occasionally. None of my business or anyone else's but those involved IMO, whatever the circumstances that may be involved.

That said, the point I was trying to make is that I don't believe this to be a wide spread issue or common concern in the jet community, so its probably isolated. Pretty sure the clear majority will concur with that.

Easy reference... I assume some of you guys are friends with Dan Tymko, a new guy from Alberta at Princeton this year. He seemed like he was having a good time and had a positive experience. Speaking of positivity, I heard he made an above average donation to the raffle...

Above all else, I can't see how this topic relates to helping Dale establish a new flying site, so I'll leave it at that.

Kelly
Kelly W is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in