Thoughts on using Solortex rather than fiberglass to cover - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42
Thoughts on using Solortex rather than fiberglass to cover

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm closing in on having to cover the 72 inch Lancaster I've been building and looking for some advice. This is my first fully sheeted wing set & I'm going to be painting for the final finished colour. I've read lots about going the light fiberglass / finishing resin route BUT I don't see that adding much in strength but it will add weight. I have many years of restoring Corvettes & know just what it takes in materials to do a structural repair so light weight cloth seems pointless to me. I've been thinking about covering in Solortex (or Worldtex) followed by either finishing resin applied the messy way or Polycrylic sprayed using a conventional spray gun until the weave is filled, sanding, priming & painting. I could also skip that step & fill the weave with some of the many leftovers in auto paint but that may be heavier than the Polycrilic. Has anyone done something similar with good or bad results?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
PRS
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Paul S
Radio of choice:
Tanaris
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 2
Re: Thoughts on using Solortex rather than fiberglass to cover

Might want to look at Sig Koverall. It is heat shrinkable and you can put it on with Minwax Polycrylic and also use the polycrylic as a sealer.
Some people like Ezekote but it looks a lot like the Minwax which sands pretty good and does do a good job of sealing.
PRS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

Fiberglassing with 1/2 oz cloth is definitely lighter and gives a great base for paint. Fiberglassing with that light of cloth was never intended to add strength to a fully sheeted structure but does give the balsa some ding resistance.

I have painted super coverite and it takes alot of primer to fill the weave and it is heavy.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Although I haven't used Koverall I have looked at it & think it will be heavier by the time the weave is filled.
If the fiberglass isn't there to add strength why is it used? Leaving it out of the process must come with some penalty but other than helping to keep the resin from slowly running downhill I haven't come up with one.
Maybe I need to rethink this & go back to my early days (I've been in & out of the building hobby a few times) & re consider silk if I want to add a bit of strength, or tissue plus dope as the base for my paint. Tissue & dope will cover the grain in a lighter way than any other I've ever used.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126

The light weight fiberglass skin is applied just to give a good base for final finishing and paint. It's not there to give any real strength to the structure but it does add a bit of ding resistance. Done properly, it adds very little weight. Dave Platt has some DVD's where he describes a method for applying the .5 oz. cloth with Z-Pozy finishing resin. Works fantastic. The water based Eze-kote also works really well. Some folks worry about the water based product warping balsa but I have not seen it.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #6
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

I think Solortex will supply similar ding resistance but could be wrong. I thought of another idea that I'll need to explore too so I may have to cover something & test away. I have on hand some epoxy primer that I use on frames & suspension parts after sandblasting. One light coat of it should fill the weave & add strength very similar to finishing resin once cured. I have 1/2 or 3/4 oz glass cloth on hand & it would be my choice for the engine nacelles & maybe the fuselage but I'd prefer the Solortex on the wings & stab but can go either way. I've done 3 planes in Solortex & like it for the easy application & added strength. From a simple test it looks like 2 light coats (by brush) of Polycrylic will fill the weave of the Solortex.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Larry,

I looked at the pictures and semi build thread of your 72"span Lancaster; nice.

If I was in your position, I wouldn't commit to a finishing regime until I did a weight and cg check with all the bits and pieces on board, just in case there are any nasty surprises that would point you to an uber light finish.

If no nasty surprise, I would go with what I was comfortable.

.75oz fiberglass and laminating resin can be as light as a heavier plastic film like Monokote and probably yields a harder furnish surface than anything else, in my personal opinion, as well as providing an excellent base for any paint.
But you need to limit the amount of resin you use and absorb as much as possible of the excess; I've read the weight ratio to shoot for is 40/60 resin and resin which takes a lot of restraint. It's cloth, not the resin that provides the strength. People applied small patches of fiberglass cloth with thin cya/instant glue.
Thunderbolt in sw Ontario can supply such fiberglass cloth; they have had sales in the past year.

In terms of structural strength, I think your framework and all sheeted surfaces do that so I would look to the covering supplying split and ding resistance (the "strength") and a base for any paint.
So, again, in my opinion, you could even use tissue. If silkspan, Easybuilt in the U.S. still sells what I suspect is a medium weight grade.

You are using electric power so you could go to a water based finish and the big box stores, I understand, can perfectly match any color sample... and latex paint is light. But I gather it does take longer for the latex to develop scratch resistance than other finishes.
I've had success with NOT warping sheeted balsa surfaces with initial coats of water based polyurethane by applying 3 or 4 'spit'/almost dry coats to seal the wood sufficiently before applying a "wet" coat. The spit coats dry sufficiently within an hours to so these spit coats can be done in one day.

We want to see pictures of the finished model!
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Good info & there will be lots of photos. I'll do a full build thread soon, without going into the covering / finishing side of things because there are so many ways people do that part of a build. The actual construction of all the components is just about done & I need to do a trial fit again to check that everything is square relative to the fuselage etc & check that the landing gear retracts / extends without binding in the wheelhouses. Once everything is verified I can weigh the bare components but so far I don't think I've added much weight vs the original build the plans link to as a magazine article. My power set up is well above that recommended & just barely heavier.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #9
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

1/2 oz glass cloth /west system epoxy mixed down with 50% alcohol , apply the glass and epoxy but before letting it dry take a roll of paper towel and roll it over the wing to draw out the excess epoxy. as the paper towel gets wet keep removing outer sheets until you can no longer remove the excess epoxy. this will also pull the glass tightly to the wood giving a nice uniform finish
Old 05-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #10
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Thank you. I've read about the idea to suck the excess off but not in such a tidy (& easy) way like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in