General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 09-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
Xyrothryu
RCC Noob

I am: Mathew S
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Post 1/14 Tamiya Semi trucks

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello all, first off Im new to the forum, but secondly, im here for some answers and advice.

My RC experiences isn't anything super amazing, I have a Losi SCT, and a Heng Long/Tamiya/Custom 1/16 King tiger, I can't really base it under anything, it started as a Heng Long, it now has many other parts and upgrades, and is running 2.4ghz rather then 27 mhz.

Anyways, the point of this topic, Iv been looking at the Tamiya 1/14 scale trucks, and Im seriously considering getting one, I like the look of peterbilts, so I think a good starting point would be the king hauler.

So what I would like to know, is if anyone knows a place to get one at a fair price, or perhaps is selling one used? What you would recommend me to buy with the truck? The MFU seems like a need.

I came across this, http://www.etamiya.com/shop/tamiya-5...p;currency=CAD would you guys call this a good price? For a King Hauler, 4ch controller, and MFU?

Also, any advice anyone has for assembly and anything else is more then welcome

Also, is they're any clubs for these specifically in Canada? Or meets?
Xyrothryu is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
1985 kenworth
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: dwayne b
Radio of choice:
spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 15
Re: 1/14 Tamiya Semi trucks

hello mathew this is dwayne (1985kenworth)if you look on my page you will see that i am heavily into the semi trucks .i have been building them for awhile and i have several builds on the go now,i can help you in any way possible as i know much about these great trucks .first there are not many clubs if any in canada that i know of however me and a bunch of other guys in south western ontario are trying to get a club going where we meet run our trucks and give and receive advice about them.just a quick question?what make of truck are you looking at building and the mfu is not a requirement though it does add to the realism of the rig.the price of the truck kit should be around $350-$400 in that range.anything higher than that be careful they could be overcharging you unless it includes shipping.the mfu should be about the same $350-$400 range .if you can afford to get the mfu with the truck get them both at the same time and build them both together.next follow the instructions in the book to a tee and do 1 step at a time ,do not jump the gun.also keep the little bags of screws and nuts and bolts in the same bag they came in as they are numbered and some screws look the same siize but they are not
owner/operator...got to operate to own..dwayne

Last edited by 1985 kenworth; 09-15-2012 at 04:09 PM.
1985 kenworth is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
1985 kenworth
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
spektrum

Talking Re: 1/14 Tamiya Semi trucks

also do not dump everything into a big pile,it will take you longer than you would like to figure everything out.by all means take your time ...rome was not built in a day.and put locktite on the on everything that srews into the frame because the vibration will loosen it up over time and you will lose things .my first build i only put locktite on what the instructions say and my first run i lost a shock and several bolts and screws and to buy them back in individual bags is really expensive.next is to have fun and do not mistaken the grease for locktite as they provide both and i heard of someone putting locktite on the transmission gears instead of grease and seized the tranny.let me know what your plans are and i can guide you every step of the way...hope this helps you and i encourage you to get one if you can..be warned ...it is addictive and there are so many possibilities and resources for special parts and items pertaining to the trucks

Old 09-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
1985 kenworth
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
spektrum

one more tidbit is the instruction booklet tells you which screws to use for each section of the truck you are building and in some cases the bags actually have the pictures of the screws that are in the bags at the actual size so you can match it up from the bag and the instruction book also to the left of the page tells you which bolt/screw to use and which bag to find it in and the actual size is there so you can compare to make sure its the right bolt...wow i could go on forever trust me i made a few mistakes with a couple of mine but now i am pretty good at building them..check out some of my builds and let me know what you think,,,all are custom work by me
Old 09-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Xyrothryu
RCC Noob

oh this won't be the first model, im a Mechanic so it shouldn't be too hard, I was thinking of building a King Hauler, and yes id like to get the MFU with the truck, for a one time total build.

I heard the truck doesn't come with servo's, how many do I need?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
1985 kenworth
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
spektrum

you will need at least 2 one for the steering ,one for the shifter and a third one if you are going to make the fifth wheel powered and not manual.if you go with the futaba 4 channel radio .i use the fm stick radio ,i have tried using the 2.4 but never had any good luck with it,although some have .some radio's you buy come with 3 or 4 servos included
Old 09-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
Xyrothryu
RCC Noob

Well that sounds good, iv seen a few that come with servos, so I should be good there.
Ill let ya know when I start my build.

Id like to make it into a peterbilt, know a good place for custom parts?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
1985 kenworth
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
spektrum

Post Re: 1/14 Tamiya Semi trucks

you can start with www.gardentrucking.com they are located in mesa arizona the guy that owns ithis name is ric murphy.super nice guy .he is so busy i wouldn't suggest you e-mail him because it takes awhile for for him to answer when you go on the web page look to your left and scroll down to tamiya trucks ,click that and pages of oem and custom parts will show up,if you are interested in any thing i would call him first ,they are 3 hrs behind us ,all prices are in us and i have been dealing with him for about 2 1/2 years now check it out and let me know what you think
Old 02-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
HJLTIRE
RCC Noob

I am: Hal Foster

I know of a couple other sites for parts.
As for transmitter and receiver, I use 2.4 dx6
If you would like to message me I can send you the links to the sites I use for aftermarket parts
HJLTIRE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
juice1971
RCC Noob

I am: ajg

I just finished buildina grand hauler and really enjoyed it i will post a picture if you would like it was my first project i payed around 400 for the truck kit and another 400 hundre for the lights and sound
juice1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Tags
1/14 , advice , semi , tamiya , truck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in