kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18
Re: The Lead Thumb Award

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
PADMAC's lead thumb trophy went missing in the spring of 1972, then one shows up out west. Do you think this is a coincidence? Where is this trophy now? Is it still in Surrey? The trophy was made using the lost wax process. He carved a wax thumb, covered it with plaster of paris, Heated it so all the wax drained out and then filled the hot mould with lead. What do you think?

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #12
Lake Flyer
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: To

Total Props: 5

I was not in the hobby in 1972 and I am guessing Bill moved out here in 1978. I'll ask our president if the lead thumb is still around. RCFCBC numbers went from over 400 members to about 40. It may be long gone. But the two sound very similar. Maybe Bill was the last one to win your and was not happy about it . Bill was an amazingly good builder and did a lot of scratch built scale projects.
Lake Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #13
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM

The condom wind sock, if you remember there was a fine of $50.00 if it was not in plain sight when a club member entered your house. Cliff Swartz use to pile a bunch of club members in his nine passenger station wagon every once in a while and go visit the latest guardian of this coveted prize. One guy owed $300.00 for the longest time. His name would come up in the accounts receivable column on the financial statement at every club meeting. They had a lot of fun over it. I remember going into Frank Lewis's place one year and there inside the front door on the left was the wind sock.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)

Old 02-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #14
Larry Pierce
RCC Contributor

I am: Larry T
Radio of choice:
Spectrum 10T

Total Props: 2

Hello there:

I was in Gimili until 1965, and flew with the Winnipeg guys during this time.
We flew off the North Taxi on the week-ends. When did you arrive at Gimili?
This pic. was taken in Winnipeg at the Downs.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Boys in Winnipeg.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	837442  
Old 02-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #15
Lake Flyer
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: To

Total Props: 5

I do not remember a wind sock. I gave this a little thought yesterday. Bill was a really good guy. I admired him as a person and a modeler. Lets say if he did bring yours out west, mount it on a new base, and present it as his own, I'd be very surprised.
Lake Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #16
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM

Hi Larry;
John Laprade and I flew off the North Cut aircraft parking area from 1966 to 1971 when they closed the place. Like you say it was mostly weekends and the odd evening. The days were really long in June. I remember one June evening I sat in my back yard and read the paper at 11:00 PM, the northern lights helped a little. Daylight until 10:00 PM was normal in June.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in