Bfl Canada Insurance ??????? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Scotte

Total Props: 2
Re: Bfl Canada Insurance ???????

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi everyone,
I'm the president of RCFCBC, one of the biggest clubs in western Canada and when we ran into liability issues concerning our landlord, Anne Taylor and myself, along with advise from Larry Rousselle (MAAC insurance chairman) developed the wording in this policy to help our club and its members. This insurance has a true "Hold harmless" clause, specifically worded to model aircraft (under 35 kg.) and also will cover a subscribed clubs members where ever they fly that is not MAAC sanctioned,,,,,,The underwriter is Lloyd's Of London and as club bought insurance, it is a great policy........I must stress that a claim made, would effect the ability to re-insure or the increase of the policy cost so this insurance is designed as a liability savour, not run to the park & fly because I'm covered!!

Anne Taylor and the whole BFL Canada insurance team are great people to work with and can answer any questions that you have.........I will totally recommend this insurance and the quality company selling this policy,

Scott Esplen

Last edited by Scott Esplen; 07-31-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Scott Esplen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
cgblues
RCC Noob

I am: Daryl W
Radio of choice:
Hitec Auroura 9 running XPS gear
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 0

I just increased the liability on my home owners insurance and have emails on file at my Broker's, from my insurance carrier, AXA Canada Group, confirming that I am covered wherever I fly model airplanes. This is not hearsay. I spent a couple of weeks setting this up.

Daryl
cgblues is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #13
papatango
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Patrick T

Total Props: 1

Scott,

Are you aware of a policy available to non-club members from BFL? I currently am not a club member, but often fly on private properties around Ontario.

Cheers,

Patrick
papatango is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:37 AM   #14
Kopter
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: kopter

Total Props: 3

Quote:
AXA Canada Group, confirming that I am covered wherever I fly model airplanes.
They told us the same thing and at one time years back they actually had an information booklet listing that specific information. Our deductable is 500 dollars per event. It's not a gray area if you do some foot work.

I had mentioned this homeowners libility fact coverage to a fellow MAAC member who looked us all straight in the eye and suggested a made up a lie. MAAC is still good for the extra peace of mind, contacts, event fun, and club aspect as that is where many hang out.

Now this other BFL thing, we won't be using BFL for obvious reasons, they even state they won't pay if the other carrier does plus the $2500 deductable is nuts. What would you use if you had 2500 or 500 deductable available? I'm sure BFL wee-zuls took the homeowners thing into account in their risk analysis as many flyers have this, especially when you look at the pricing structure/member participation/minimum charge. Looks like AXA is the place to be, hey-plus the rates are very good regardless.

The sad thing is, because of how the BFL thing is worded people already covered with effective home owners insurance with club membership would have to subsidize those who don't pay for insurance at home. There are enough clubs around here that if it became a forced issue we'd move and split the club, not a good thought. I think at 33 dollars per member or 330 per club and in likht of the AXA thing MAAC could do a better deal with their existing carrier for wider coverage. I'd sooner let MAAC have my money. Small cklubs want to look at this money grab very carefully.

Last edited by Kopter; 08-02-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Kopter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #15
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

Thumbs down Re: Bfl Canada Insurance ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopter View Post
They told us the same thing and at one time years back they actually had an information booklet listing that specific information. Our deductable is 500 dollars per event. It's not a gray area if you do some foot work.

I had mentioned this homeowners libility fact coverage to a fellow MAAC member who looked us all straight in the eye and suggested a made up a lie. MAAC is still good for the extra peace of mind, contacts, event fun, and club aspect as that is where many hang out.

Now this other BFL thing, we won't be using BFL for obvious reasons, they even state they won't pay if the other carrier does plus the $2500 deductable is nuts. What would you use if you had 2500 or 500 deductable available? I'm sure BFL wee-zuls took the homeowners thing into account in their risk analysis as many flyers have this, especially when you look at the pricing structure/member participation/minimum charge. Looks like AXA is the place to be, hey-plus the rates are very good regardless.

The sad thing is, because of how the BFL thing is worded people already covered with effective home owners insurance with club membership would have to subsidize those who don't pay for insurance at home. There are enough clubs around here that if it became a forced issue we'd move and split the club, not a good thought. I think at 33 dollars per member or 330 per club and in likht of the AXA thing MAAC could do a better deal with their existing carrier for wider coverage. I'd sooner let MAAC have my money. Small cklubs want to look at this money grab very carefully.
The main reason for buying this insurance as a club, is for the hold harmless for our landlord......We are covered from anything that originates from our flying field, for what ever reason as long as the aircraft is under an all up flying weight of 35 kg, no other MAAC safety code rules apply, negligence included......This is offered in the states (AMA) to clubs but not from MAAC......The coverage for flying elsewhere is truly secondary for us and can be covered with individual homeowners policies, if it is worded correctly.....I would get all the facts before I start bad mouthing companies........

In our search for a new field, many prospective landlords think this "Hold Harmless" insurance is a great benefit for them and in today's liability "sue all" mentality, it is some peace of mind for us at a reasonable cost.......remember if you have a MAAC claim and an adjuster can prove safety code violations, their insurance may not cover your club.......a $2500 deductible is a small price in a million dollar lawsuit and this insurance helps cover our club from another angle, our toy planes have the ability to create a huge liability risk!

Last edited by Scott Esplen; 08-02-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Scott Esplen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Would the insurance cover those that are using their R/C planes/helis for profit? Photo business etc.

Last edited by Ken Currell; 08-02-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: tpo correction
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #17
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Currell View Post
Would the insurance cover those that are using their R/C planes/helis for profit? Photo buisiness etc.
Lloyds of London will insure pretty much anything for a given cost and I would talk to BFL about any specific situations you may have,,,,,,,Anne Taylor is a great person to talk with and can answer more accurately most of these questions............
Old 09-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #18
Inverted360
RCC Apprentice

I am: Sage M

read a little of the info sent to us. This policy is the last in line type. They will only pay if no one else is paying. Eg MAAC Home Owners etc.
Inverted360 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #19
Tom Molloy
RCC Apprentice

I may not understand completely the pros and cons of other insurance but I would like to clarify my understand of MAAC insurance.

If I want to be covered by MAAC while flying;

I cannot fly at my home.
I cannot fly at a regular airfield.
I cannot fly at a park.
I cannot fly at a car park.
I cannot fly at a school.
I cannot fly anywhere except at a club field.
The club field has to comply with very specific rules otherwise I can't fly there either.

Since I am a casual "pilot" and might use the club field 10 time a year maximum; at $75 per annum this is $7.5 to possibly being covered by MAAC while I fly.

Is my interpretation correct?

If it is then the BFL or the AXA insurance options might be worth further investigation
Tom Molloy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #20
Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Molloy View Post
Is my interpretation correct?
YUP!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in