Noob needs guidance. Savage Flux / Baja 5T / FG - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
Treatz

Total Props: 0
Noob needs guidance. Savage Flux / Baja 5T / FG

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello all

I currently have a Savage XL
nitro is a bit to finnicky for my tasts so i'm looking at:

1> savage FLUX
2> Baja 5T
3> FG 1/5 scale 4wd fuel

can anyone recommend based on those 3

my concern about the Baja 5T is that it's only RWD
I really like the flux but am unsure about batteries and the truck's reliabliity and logevity

the FG is a nice truck but ground clearance is limited and i know virtually nothihg about the brand.

any help is apreciated.
Treatz is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: Noob needs guidance. Savage Flux / Baja 5T / FG

The flux is reliable now that they've put out new diffs for it as that was virtually the only design flaw. You really have to try to break anything else on the truck.

Can't go wrong with a HPI and I don't think you mind the 2wd as much on something that large.

FG makes a solid product and while not as respected as the Baja it's also a bit cheaper. Parts support would be the problem though.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
Treatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
The flux is reliable now that they've put out new diffs for it as that was virtually the only design flaw. You really have to try to break anything else on the truck.

Can't go wrong with a HPI and I don't think you mind the 2wd as much on something that large.

FG makes a solid product and while not as respected as the Baja it's also a bit cheaper. Parts support would be the problem though.
Is the Flux water proof / resistant? some of the traxxus stuff claims to be water proof.. not that big of a deal but if I can get something that's water proof vs water sensitive that woudl swing my decision.

oh ok so is there a way to know if the flux has new Diffs..
i guess ordering it from a store that has to order it in will get the newer stock?

I definatly like HPI, theyve been great to me so far with the savage XL and when i call in.

does Traxxas have anything decent or comparable to the Flux?

Old 10-23-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R

First, no the flux is not water proof, very few brushless systems are but they are easy enough to make water proof with some silicone sealant or plasti dip.

If they have to order it in then it will have the new diffs, even if you get an older version HPI will send you the new diffs for the cost of shipping.

Traxxas as the E-Revo Brushless Edition (ERBE) and it uses the same motor/esc as the Flux. The erbe is built more like a truggy than a MT so it's a bit lower and wider which gives it a lower cog. This means it's more stable at high speeds and is slightly faster with stock gearing.

One of the RC car magazines did a side by side comparison of the two and the ERBE won but it woud be a hard choice to choose between the two. I personally didn't choose... I got both.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Treatz

Quote:
First, no the flux is not water proof, very few brushless systems are but they are easy enough to make water proof with some silicone sealant or plasti dip.

If they have to order it in then it will have the new diffs, even if you get an older version HPI will send you the new diffs for the cost of shipping.

Traxxas as the E-Revo Brushless Edition (ERBE) and it uses the same motor/esc as the Flux. The erbe is built more like a truggy than a MT so it's a bit lower and wider which gives it a lower cog. This means it's more stable at high speeds and is slightly faster with stock gearing.

One of the RC car magazines did a side by side comparison of the two and the ERBE won but it woud be a hard choice to choose between the two. I personally didn't choose... I got both.
Ok thanks for the advice

what about the Traxxas E Maxx, is that an older truck?
seems to have decent specs:
•Traxxas Power Cell Batteries Included!
•Waterproof electronics
•Waterproof servos & ESC
•Four-Channel micro receiver
•All-new single speed transmission (Two-Speed optional)
•Revo®-Spec sealed pivot ball suspension
•Revo®-Spec sealed differentials
•Revo®-Spec sealed outer and center driveshafts
•All-new, low-CG chassis design
•Stronger chassis braces
•New transmission skid plate
•Scaleable battery compartments
•Snap-lock battery hold downs
•Dual-servo steering system
•Integrated servo saver
•Hex hardware throughout
•3.8" mirror chrome Twin-Spoke wheels
•3.8" Maxx® chevron tires
Old 10-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R

The Emaxx is a decent truck and the newer models are quite good. I personally prefer brushless though and also prefer the revo suspension over the emaxx one.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Treatz

Quote:
The Emaxx is a decent truck and the newer models are quite good. I personally prefer brushless though and also prefer the revo suspension over the emaxx one.
Ya, apparently the E-Maxx brushless is on it's way

i am also looking at the E-revo brushless
the kit comes with 2 starter batteries and a 2.4ghz radio. they're $800.00 around me. not that bad

have you had any experience with REDCAT products?
i'm also looking at the REDCAT Rampage MT2 truck
Old 10-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
2old2fly
RCC Apprentice

I am: Karl C
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 24

The Red Cat is a good truck. Downside, they are a bit heavy, the wheels are quite brittle and front shock shafts don't last too long.. Upside is they are quite tough and for all around Bashing, they stand up quite well.

IMHO, the FG in the long run is a better buy even though it is more money up front. Better components; Zenoah 26 cc engine, better shocks, better plastic parts, etc. Parts are more money than the Red Cat though.

The HPI Baja is a great unit and stands up well too. For the price it is the best all around 1/5th buggy or truck.
MAAC #75532
If my wife had another job I could have more helicopters!!!
2old2fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
Treatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2fly View Post
The Red Cat is a good truck. Downside, they are a bit heavy, the wheels are quite brittle and front shock shafts don't last too long.. Upside is they are quite tough and for all around Bashing, they stand up quite well.

IMHO, the FG in the long run is a better buy even though it is more money up front. Better components; Zenoah 26 cc engine, better shocks, better plastic parts, etc. Parts are more money than the Red Cat though.

The HPI Baja is a great unit and stands up well too. For the price it is the best all around 1/5th buggy or truck.
I love the 5T
my only concern is the RWD only nature.

i like dirt and bashing and i'm concerned that teh 2WD can't hang.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
2old2fly
RCC Apprentice

I am: Karl C
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 24

There are four of us here that have HPI Baja's and all of them work great. The 2wd is definitely different to drive than the 4wd but on the track my Red Cat Rampage TT will nearly stay with them as it doesn't slide out as much but that changes with track conditions. For bashing it is a toss up; the RedCat climbs a bit better and such but the Baja shoots rooster tails all over the place.

I like them both but honestly I have my Red Cat for sale and want to get an FG.

It depends on parts supplies for me. HPI is everywhere, Red Cat is quite common, but FG is a bit more hard to find. We have a great dealer in Calgary, High Performance Hobbies, that stocks all three.
MAAC #75532
If my wife had another job I could have more helicopters!!!
2old2fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in