Anyone have a shipping address in the US? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:42 AM   #21
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I actually have been very lucky with DHL in the past. I have received several shipments though them from places south of the border and nevr once had any charges from them. Got hit this time...guess I am still lucky as Jim pointed out the math seems weird. I just like the fee guide they used on all my other shipments. It seems to read like those Visa commercials. A bunch of zeros.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #22
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
As you know many of us in this area use the drop service in Soo Mi or maintain addresses there.We dont have a LHS the closest one being 300Km away.
Several points occur to me.
1-If a person is going to bring supplies into Canada for their own use make sure the supplier sends an invoice copy with the shipment.We have had cases where a copy didnt accompany and Canada customs can seize and hold the item until you come up with the paperwork.
2-Freight is definitly subject to the same GST PST taxes as the supplies.

3-The Fed Customs folks now collect PST for Ontario which was not the case up until a few years ago.I dont know how it works in other Provinces.

4-Services you buy in the US such as a check up on your radio are taxable.

5-Its tempting to not declare something or if its small put it in your pocket.
Not a good idea in my opinion.In these days of big brother computer records you dont want to end up on the Customs oaf list if they happen to catch you and even if they normally wave you and your weird stuff through you can get caught in a computer generated spot check where they take your vehicle into a small shed and give it special attention.
They have all the cards ............you have none.
6-Give factual info when paying taxes......ie model airplane supplies bought in the US.If you get into discussions of country of manufacture remember some low wage countries who supply the US retailers and distributors may not have trade arrangements with Canada and the item may be subject to duty which opens up an area where you definitely dont want to go!
7-Support the Canadian Mail order suppliers when you can.Savings are not what they once were when shopping ex the US.Availability and speed of delivery and freight costs however are other subjects.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #23

Total Props: 57
Johnny,
I have a US address, my shop is only a half mile from the border, if you need to have something shipped there just let me know, only downside is I'm on the westcoast but shipping within Canada is pretty reasonable anyway.
Jeremy
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #24
JohnnyHotRocks
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: John U

Thanks everyone for the excellent posts, PMs and generous offers of help! I think this thread has produced alot of good info, and hopefully others will be able to take advantage of it.
JohnnyHotRocks is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #25
Peter Gordon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: peter g

They have something nice set up down where I am. It's a receiving center that holds your package for a $3 fee. I end up paying $3 for the bridge each way, plus $3 for them to receive it, plus any taxes at the border. Works well...
http://www.corp-center.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in