Throttle Servo for DL 50 Engine - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
HOMEFLYR
RCC Apprentice

I am: denis l
Radio of choice:
jr 9303
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
Throttle Servo for DL 50 Engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Fella's....I need to determine what torque value is needed for a throttle servo on a DL 50 engine . Probaby most throttle servos are near the same torque value , but i've never ordered one for the throttle hook up before. I'm new to engine installations & this one is going into a 89" Carden Edition Yak 54....so i want to make sure i get it right the 1st time.

MAAC-78519
HOMEFLYR is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Michel G

Total Props: 12
Re: Throttle Servo for DL 50 Engine

Hi

Maybe , I can help.............First does youre throudle lever have tension on it ( or is it spring loaded ) Is the spring tension removeable ( sometimes it is only moved to the side to remove the tension ) This gives you an option . If you remove the tension , you need very little from the servo . If you use the lever with the tension , for sure you will need more powerfull servo . Most times the spring has a small hook on it that reaches back and holds the lever .closed .

One way or the other , a standerf servo is used , unless you are a very high performance guy .
Hope this helps

Michel
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163

a standard servo (approx 40oz/in) is fine. I prefer something more accurate like a digital coreless servo. This allows the idle to return to the exact same setting everytime. My fav. is the JR 8231, you don't need the torque it provides but the accuracy is fantastic.

Mike
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
HOMEFLYR
RCC Apprentice

I am: denis l
Radio of choice:
jr 9303
# of RCs: 7

Michel.....don't know what's on the eng throttle yet....i'm in the process of completing an order.....just wanting to get the necessary servo's with the same order.

Mike....I had it in the back of my mind , that i had read somewhere , the standard torque commonly used for a throttle servo , was in the vicinity of 40 to 50 oz/in. I think you are right in what you said.

Any body else out there ,that agrees with this torque range for a throttle servo on a DL 50 eng. ??

MAAC-78519
HOMEFLYR is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
3dflyer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: marc.c
Radio of choice:
hitec a9,jr 9303
# of RCs: 20

i have a 33%plane and i,m using a hitec digital 5645 which is overkill ,but i have a few lying around.i would definately go digital as metioned above.it,s the better choice and will last longer and be able to withstand vibration better.40 to 50 0z is a good choice for throttle.just my 2 cts.

life begins under 10ft and ends at ground zero.
fly it like you hate it.
troy built sponsored pilot.
cambrain rc flyers
3dflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #6

Total Props: 57
Smile Re: Throttle Servo for DL 50 Engine

DL engine has removeable tension sping on throttle.
Any servo will work, and I prefer mini digi.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

I too remove the tension spring from all my gassers...Zenoah...DA50....and now the DL50.

Pretty much any standard servo can be used as there is very little torque if any needed for the throttle on even the largest of planes. Personally, I opted for a Hitec Sport Digital servo on my AeroWorks 85" Yak 54 so that I could use my programmer to set up the fail safe feature of the Hitec programmable servos.

Seeing that so little torque is needed on the throttle, I doubt that there is much of an issure with accuracy as just about any servo will move easily and stay at the needed throttle setting. Digital servos also have better holding power to start with so even the Sport Digital will easily hold the position set. MHO!

The Hitec Sport Digital is only approx $25 as opposet to upwards of a $100 for a coreless digital. However, if you feel better spending the coin, then go for it, if even only on the throttle!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 2

futaba 9202, coreless. hi precision servo Non dig. Nylon gears.. Been using it all this year after having troubles with an other brand MG servo on my throttle. The throttle ign. kill comes in really handy in those times.

Last edited by Bryan Mailloux; 06-22-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Bryan Mailloux is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
Quadraman

All the previous posts are right on.. If you remove the spring from the throttle arm (remove means unhook it... leave it in place to keep the throttle plate centered) you can use just about any servo made. For an accurate idle and consistent return to the same idle RPM use a digital. The Hitec mini digitals work great
Thx
Gary
Quadraman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Mailloux View Post
futaba 9202, coreless. hi precision servo Non dig. Nylon gears.. Been using it all this year after having troubles with an other brand MG servo on my throttle. The throttle ign. kill comes in really handy in those times.

This is my servo of choice for throttle. You want ultra precision and this servo delivers. I'm using it on my DA 150. I too either cut or remove the hook on the throtte return spring..but don't remove your spring entirely or the throttle body can move and throw things off!
Make sure you have lots of throw otherwise you'll have trouble setting a proper throttle curve in your radio (if you can). Gas engines have a non linear response which you'll quickly find out if you have a short throw and no curve!

Lee
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in