I'm getting wood! Details to follow! - Page 43 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #421
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
Re: I'm getting wood! Details to follow!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It is done...minus the wheel pants and the landing gear cuffs! Everything is setup and ready for run-up at the field! I'm hoping the rain will hold off so that I can at least get it running tomorrow and maybe do a bit of taxiing around. I want to do the maiden flight at Arnprior so that I've at least got a better chance of saving it in the event of a deadstick, so I'll likely just do some run ups at ORCC Drummond Field.

Now I can get to repairing my Slick and then on to my next build!

Thanks for reading, everyone! I'll post some field pictures when I get a chance!

Cheers,

Tyler
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #422
Jack Marcotte
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Jack M
Radio of choice:
futaba and JR
# of RCs: 9-0

Total Props: 5

All the best Tyler! keep us udaed oh the Maiden.

Ciao

2010 July 10-11 Imac at Hamilton Flying Tigers Slide Show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmyxbDM9bgc

TBrum Carden Edge at Hamilton Flying Tigers Club Apr 17 10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONEImndeWOA

The Hamilton Flying Tigers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOH63E2Sk1c
Jack Marcotte is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #423
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler P View Post
It is done...minus the wheel pants and the landing gear cuffs! Everything is setup and ready for run-up at the field! I'm hoping the rain will hold off so that I can at least get it running tomorrow and maybe do a bit of taxiing around. I want to do the maiden flight at Arnprior so that I've at least got a better chance of saving it in the event of a deadstick, so I'll likely just do some run ups at ORCC Drummond Field.

Now I can get to repairing my Slick and then on to my next build!

Thanks for reading, everyone! I'll post some field pictures when I get a chance!

Cheers,

Tyler

Tyler... what happened with the Slick already???

T
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #424
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrum View Post
Tyler... what happened with the Slick already???

T
You don't want to know, lol.

Another deadstick. This time I think it just idled down a bit too low and quit. I was about to go into a rolling harrier not too high up and it died. Luckily I was able to get it down without a lot of damage. Just some motor box repairs and the landing gear plate (which was weak anyway). The cowl is a bit cracked up but it doesn't look that bad. Probably a couple hours of repair and it'll be back in the air. It sucks that I only got about 11 flights on it before that happened but it'll fly again! No other damage other than what I mentioned.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #425
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler P View Post
You don't want to know, lol.

Another deadstick. This time I think it just idled down a bit too low and quit. I was about to go into a rolling harrier not too high up and it died. Luckily I was able to get it down without a lot of damage. Just some motor box repairs and the landing gear plate (which was weak anyway). The cowl is a bit cracked up but it doesn't look that bad. Probably a couple hours of repair and it'll be back in the air. It sucks that I only got about 11 flights on it before that happened but it'll fly again! No other damage other than what I mentioned.
Sorry to hear Tyler!! That's a couple crashes now because of dead-sticks!! Are you sure there isn't something wrong somewhere??

When is the maiden for the Yak???

T
Old 05-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #426
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

No, the engine is fine. I just idled it down too low, that's all. It's running awesome aside from that little hiccup.

I had the Yak at the field today but I couldn't get the engine to run up properly at all. Zeus unit turned out to be bad, as expected, but it wouldn't even run on straight hook-up through a reg. It will idle and start easily enough but it won't spool up at all. It managed to spool a couple times during one run but it wouldn't do it again after that. It's being a pain in the butt. I'm going to have to take it off and see if something is clogging it up. It surges up and down and boggs. It won't even run on stock settings, it seems to have to be even richer.

I don't get it and I'm pretty frustrated at this point. I may have to try and get the Slick repaired before the IMAC contest this weekend and use that.

I did snap a couple of pictures that I'll post later. It looks nice out in the sun at least!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #427
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler P
No, the engine is fine. I just idled it down too low, that's all. It's running awesome aside from that little hiccup.

I had the Yak at the field today but I couldn't get the engine to run up properly at all. Zeus unit turned out to be bad, as expected, but it wouldn't even run on straight hook-up through a reg. It will idle and start easily enough but it won't spool up at all. It managed to spool a couple times during one run but it wouldn't do it again after that. It's being a pain in the butt. I'm going to have to take it off and see if something is clogging it up. It surges up and down and boggs. It won't even run on stock settings, it seems to have to be even richer.

I don't get it and I'm pretty frustrated at this point. I may have to try and get the Slick repaired before the IMAC contest this weekend and use that.

I did snap a couple of pictures that I'll post later. It looks nice out in the sun at least!
Tyler!!

I had the same problem once... It was simply dirt in the screen of the carb... I'd check that first!!

Trev
Old 05-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #428
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Same here.
Last week my 30 started surging during idle. 2 flights later it quit at 3/4 throttle in the air.
The little screen in the carb needed to be cleaned. I have had it out twice since and it runs like a champ.

Sucks that its with a new motor. But we do tend to handle them a lot when there is all sorts of debris around during the builds.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #429
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Yeah, I've had the same problem with the DA50 before but I checked the screen on the DLE111 at the field and it was clear. I'm kind of wondering if all the seals and stuff are all moistened up yet. That could be part of the problem too. The engine sat for a year before I ran it. The gasket on the back of the carb was fine but the front one was partially dry. I gave it a squirt of fuel before I reinstalled it.

One other suspicion I have is that maybe a splinter of ply from the firewall might have made its way in. If that's the case, it could definitely cause the kind of issue I'm having.

I'm going to bring the plane back down to the shop and check it out.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #430
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

So I think I found the issue. Before I had even got the motor all the way off I saw something dangling down around the carb. I took a closer look and found a long strand of teflon tape from the header pipe had managed to get sucked right up into the carb opening and through the butterfly assembly. There had to be a solid 6" of strand inside the carb and I'm guessing it was all lodged up on the big screen between the carb and the crank!

I still took the motor off and disassembled the various covers to make sure there wasn't more debris blocking anything, but I think that was the culprit. It probably got sucked up on the one good run I had with it. I'm hoping to get it out in the back yard in the next couple days so that I can do a test run before I take it all back to the field for a tuning and hopefully a maiden.

I hope that's the end of that issue. If not, I'll have to fix the Slick before the Ottawa contest on the weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in