JR DMSS and why I switched - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 09-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
cloudniner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Richard N
Radio of choice:
Graupner MC28 & MC20 & MZ-32
# of RCs: 24

Total Props: 32
Thumbs up JR DMSS and why I switched

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the comments in the links below, but I have and am switching to DMSS as I just purchased the DMSS module for my JR 12XMV to go along with my XG11. Why? Because (a) I trust JR and (b) this DMSS system makes a lot of sense to me, then add model match, servo synch, telemetry, easy programming, 4096 resolution, very low latency, etc. etc. and let's not forget QUALITY!

The processors in the Rx's are much more powerful (16MHz 32bit PIC as opposed to Atmel used in most others) types which I am sure adds to the cost of these receivers, but as indicated they are not that much more when you consider the telemetry is built in to all of the Rx's. The system has 4096 resolution! If you are using $5 servos who cares but I use nothing but JR8231 high res servos (5,900 steps per 120-degrees) and I can say that I have never felt more connected to my aircraft this summer. The servos synch function is great. This means that if you have a four aileron servos plugged into channel 2,5,7,11. These channels are transmitted all at the same time. If you don't think this means anything try setting up your system as above and do a snap roll and watch how much later the channel 7 and 11 take to get to their max throws.

This is from one of the web page posts.

--------------------------------------------
"DMSS

The interesting new kid on the block. It stands for Dual Modulation Spectrum System. To my knowledge, this is the first RC radio system that truly incorporates the best features of DSSS and FHSS. It is used in the new JR XG series of radio systems.

It is only available from JR. HH/Spektrum is sticking with DSMX, at least for now.

It uses a 3 MHz wide signal on each channel. Every other system uses 1 MHz or less. Note that the minimum required spacing is 1 MHz, but the signal itself could be wider. For extra robustness, it also uses the pseudo-random encryption of DSSS.

But this is also a full-blown FHSS system. Apparently, it is based on the DSMJ technology developed earlier by JR. Based on the specs alone, I would expect DMSS to be far more robust against radio interference than anything else out on the market today.

An excellent telemetry system is fully integrated into the transmitters. You can have vibrating alarms go off depending on various conditions in the aircraft, for example. On the receiver end, a separate telemetry module is required. JR already sells sensors for pressure altitude, temperature, RPM, and monitoring electrical power (voltage, amps, and watts).

Many have reported that this is the first Spektrum/JR radio system that does not support satellite receivers because it does not need them. That is not true. The telemetry transmitter module has a satellite receiver built-in."

While the full range double antenna receivers do have a satellite which has a receiver and a transmitter in it, it can be unplugged after binding. I do not fly small stuff so this is not an issue for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://rcadvisor.com/spread-spectrum-radio-technologies

http://rcadvisor.com/spektrumjr-ss-rc-radio-systems

http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/pro...hats_dmss.html

"A good argument can be made that DSMX is good enough. Many say that the interference problems today, even in worst case scenarios such as large meets, do not demand bulletproof technologies such as DMSS.

But guess what? It is nice having the choice."

Last edited by cloudniner; 10-20-2012 at 07:30 AM.
cloudniner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
nairbg
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian G
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 0
Re: JR DMSS and why I switched

Le us know how the 12X conversion goes.
Jr 12X
nairbg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
cloudniner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairbg View Post
Le us know how the 12X conversion goes.
I gave up trying to get the DMSS module to work with the 12XMV. I don't know why it would not work. Tried two of them. Did all I was supposed to do but could not get the RF to stay on.

I bought a Graupner MC20 instead.

If anyone has successfully got the module to work please post.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudniner View Post
I bought a Graupner MC20 instead.
WOW!

I wonder what I could get for all my Spektrum gear!

Did you get that local or order from across the pond?
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
cloudniner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

David don't be too loud with the Wow. There are a few blinkety blanks that will accuse me of bragging about my purchase. LOL
Old 01-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

You do know that Graupner filed for chapter 11 in Europe. I wander what will happen to the company and the radio line if they go under, the MC 20 is a nice radio.
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Will it output real time to the Tx and can you set an alarm for power consumed?

http://www.macgregor.co.uk/jrpropo/jrc03438.htm
Weather Station
Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

I set up the five positions on the Twin Otter to mimic the scale machine. I actually used the 0, 10, 20, 30, and 40 that the real one does.

On the Bonanza I only use three; 0, approach, land, Just like most Beechcraft that I know of. I never actually checked if that was accurate for the Bonanza but I assume it must be since it is a pretty common theme with them.

Regardless of which set-up I want my "panic" switch to be in the same place all the time and the same position selection that I have been using since I started with computer radios 15 years ago. That is "up" and "away" for flying and "down" or "near" for landing positions. The bummer with the default setup in the DX18 for five flight modes in ACRO is that the "panic" or master position of SW1 is in the middle. So I guess that would be the equivalent of what you describe as F-Mode 0.

I guess you could use a few different things like you say the D/R or throttle position but I have just become used to the switch that is on the top left of the radio is my flaps up/panic mode switch. I never really thought of something before but if there were a panic mode tied to throttle and I have the flaps set to retract in say 1.5 seconds or something it would give the airplane some time to build speed before losing all the extra lift of the flaps. Might be a good way to go.

Bottom line with the 18 was that it is completely stupid to have the ability to set up the switches the way I wanted in SAIL mode with the custom F-Mode table, but have that inhibited in ACRO mode. What genius decided that pilots would never want a custom F-Mode table in ACRO!!!!

The only "physical" strike against the Graupner I can see so far is no Airspeed on the telemetry, only SOG from the GPS, which is basically useless.

Warranty "across the pond" could be cumbersome too.

Decisions, decisions.

I would have to look at how I would force the flaps to up position with throttle. Not sure exactly what the method would be in the 18.
Weather Station
Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
cloudniner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Dave

I use the elevator switch as I find it is closer to my finger compared to the 'real' f-mode switch. Like you away from me is the default for zero or safe.

I know nothing about the DX18 but the flight modes can be set to any position and any switch in the JR and the MC20.

I usually stick with the three f-mode mainly because that is what is available on the one switch. I didn't like the idea of having a second switch determine the first three and last three. Just me. Would be nice to have a five position switch but haven't seen one.

I have twenty-four models in my JR now and one thing I try to do is make sure that all most all the functions are the same for all. Or at least as much as possible. Simple things like the A/R mixing switch is the same on all of them. The timer start/stop switch is the same on all. Things like that. Trying to remember what does what on many different types and numbers of A/C can get confusing. I learned that the hard way a long time ago.

Anyway I am sure Graupner will come out with an airspeed indication soon enough. I am mainly interested in Battery Volts, and the Vario for my gliders.

Richard
Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
cloudniner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Dave

I just read the manual ( always a good idea ) and it indicates the XG11 has a limit of three flight modes for aircraft. A bunch more for gliders and helicopters but only three for A/C.

I am still trying to figure out what to do with "Flight Phases" on the MC20.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in