Hero Gopro Lens Mod - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Aerial Photography/Video Discuss and exchange ideas about aerial photography and video in Canada.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15
Hero Gopro Lens Mod

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm thinking of changing out my gpro "fisheye" lens with a Sunex lens ($49) that removes the distorted look. They are out of stock and the shipping is $75 to Canada from the US. If others are interested in this mod, perhaps one order could be put in and then shipped out to the other buyers. Any takers?

Brian.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375480

Last edited by buffythesaint; 02-09-2011 at 09:59 PM.
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5
Re: Hero Gopro Lens Mod

I am interested too but I am watching the development of this, not 100% convinced on it yet, especially the hacking off the old lens, plus I have not seen many videos with it to see if there are any issues. I like using the case to waterproof the camera, and yes, you can modify it to fit but the curvature of the case lens was made to fit the old lens, this one is different and I wander about distortion.
Dan
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Emdry
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Emery D
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0

Looks very interesting now maybe worth taking a look at one of theses cam never like the fish eye look of the pics and video before. Too bad Gopro wouldn't make it available with this lens, looks like according to the thread that Gopro maybe interested in making it an option will wait a little longer and see if they do.
Emdry is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

It all looks good but, the chance of destroying a $300 camera with channel locks or hack saw I do not like, plus there is no going back and for some stuff I like the fish eye lens, hmmmm...
Old 02-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
Emdry
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
It all looks good but, the chance of destroying a $300 camera with channel locks or hack saw I do not like, plus there is no going back and for some stuff I like the fish eye lens, hmmmm...
You must be reading a different thread than I am, from what I have seen in the mod it wouldn't be hard to go back to the old lens. But hey if you like the fish eye look so be it not every one does. I guess I feel I have a distorted view of the world as it is don't need it in my cam. Seems like a lot of guys are doing it and no reports of anyone destroying their cam yet. I guess I missed the part of using the hacksaw but this mod wouldn't be for everyone thats for sure if you not confident with you ability to do the mod you should never attempt it and when I say you I mean anyone not directed at you personally
Old 02-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Emdry I am not taking it personally, I know what you mean, I just would like an option to turn it back if I do not like it. The treads I read, said something about the lens being glued in on plastic threads and had to be removed with pliers or cut and removed with razor saw and new lens screwed on. I need to see a video of this to see if this can be done safely, I guess different threads have different people doing it in different ways. if it is simple and non destructive I am there to try it! Focusing may be interesting without direct out also. I do not just use my GoPro for planes only, I want to take it under water this summer for some snorkeling, it has many uses, it is great little camera.
If anyone has any links on this mod please post it, I may need a refresh on this mod!
Dan

Last edited by ddruck; 02-11-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

Dan, I know what you mean about messn' with a nice camera that works pretty well out of the box. I've had mine for over a year and I think the warrenty is over. The 1080 mode works good, not much warp. The 720 is really warped but at 60fps. With the new lens, the 720 won't be warped and you are able to slow it down for some nice smooth slo mo effects. Also with the new lens, the still shots are normal. The original lens is just loctited on. A heat gun with 2s burts softens it up and it will unscrew easy. I'm going to try it when more lens are available.

Brian.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Yes I prefer the 720 at 60fps also much easier to slow it down. If heating is all it takes, that is a different story, i guess the early adapter went to it the 'bull in the china shop' way. Ok, let me know when the stock is available and maybe we can get it shipped in in a group. S75.00 shipping! that must be $20 per minute of packing! I want that job.
Dan
Old 02-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

Sunnex has 172 lens in stock now. I'm going to order one. I will order a few more if anyone wants one too. PM me if your serious and we can split the shipping cost. It would be less then $10 to ship in Canada. I have a venture one account with Canadapost and I get a little off the shipping and always $100 insurance and tracking # with every package. I'll order soon so don't be late.

Brian.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Emdry
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR

Found this on another site might be worth having a look at shipping is real reasonable
I don't know about the quality of the lens or the people selling it but might be worth having a look at.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/6MM-LENS-Mod-Narr...t_10919wt_1034

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in