Reedy .21vr any thoughts... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
imported_madac
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Reedy .21vr any thoughts...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just wondering what are peoples thoughts on the Reedy .21vr and any good and bad experiences with this engine?

Anyone who owns this engine also what breakin procedure did you use and how is your engine running from your breakin?
imported_madac is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
S.Bortolotti
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madac View Post
Just wondering what are peoples thoughts on the Reedy .21vr and any good and bad experiences with this engine?

Anyone who owns this engine also what breakin procedure did you use and how is your engine running from your breakin?

I can't say enough good things about this motor. Last season I ran the same motor in my truck from Tilsonburg, all the way to the RC Pro Finals in Edmonton and it had 8 gallons through it and never missed a beat. I started this season with 2 fresh motors and again, I haven't had any problems with them. The fuel milage is good, however they will run a little hotter than most motors but don't be alarmed - its normal for them to come off the track at 240-270.

As for break-in, I idle 3 tanks of fuel through the car, then drive it slow and rich for another 3 tanks. Like all motors, make sure it gets up to temperature (about 200-220) when idling and driving it so the piston/sleeve can seat in properly.

Hope it helps,
S.Bortolotti is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
imported_maximus
RCC Junior Contributor

The Reedy is a decent engine....good bottom end, lacking top end.... runs really hot ( improper head button design, swap in a V-Spec button and watch temps drop drastically ) ..picky tuning....Even tho its not a bad engine I am not much of a fan of it... You can buy a B5 cheaper that will have more power, more RPM tune easier and run cooler.... B5 is Italian made, Reedy is Taiwanese made..... As I say nothing too wrong with the Reedy, but you can really do much better within its price range....
imported_maximus is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
skidoos
RCC Contributor

I am: joe zuccaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
The Reedy is a decent engine....good bottom end, lacking top end.... runs really hot ( improper head button design, swap in a V-Spec button and watch temps drop drastically ) ..picky tuning....Even tho its not a bad engine I am not much of a fan of it... You can buy a B5 cheaper that will have more power, more RPM tune easier and run cooler.... B5 is Italian made, Reedy is Taiwanese made..... As I say nothing too wrong with the Reedy, but you can really do much better within its price range....
i bought 2 of them this year, and i read so many people complaining a bout temps goin high, and honestly i dont get past 225 and no lies i have lots of witnesses, lots of bottom end, and yes it does lack top end, i just went up a tooth on the clutch bell, other then that runs great, idle 3 tanks just like the manual says, and break it real slow, runs good for me no complaints, that i went out and bought another for back up, 2 weeks ago it was givin me issues and i said here we go, and i resovled the issue, it was my tank, it had a slight crack in it, now engine runs good as always,

serpent 811 cobra
dynamite
skidoos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
imported_maximus
RCC Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoos View Post
i bought 2 of them this year, and i read so many people complaining a bout temps goin high, and honestly i dont get past 225 and no lies i have lots of witnesses, lots of bottom end, and yes it does lack top end, i just went up a tooth on the clutch bell, other then that runs great, idle 3 tanks just like the manual says, and break it real slow, runs good for me no complaints, that i went out and bought another for back up, 2 weeks ago it was givin me issues and i said here we go, and i resovled the issue, it was my tank, it had a slight crack in it, now engine runs good as always,
Some people have had great luck with them too... its odd how some people have nothing but praise, and others nothing but scorn....In the end you gotta go with what works for you !
imported_maximus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
imported_madac
RCC Apprentice

It's going to be like that with any engine but I got mine and after five tanks of breakin it blows my vspec off the track.
So far nothing but love for this engine as for my vspecs I'll let my 8 year old son run them in his buggy until I have enough to buy him a new reedy engine then for sale the vspecs go. Not only is the breakin outlined in the manual so much easier it was fast and didn't waste over half a gallon for breakin and it has held it's tune for 1 1/2 gallons of byrons 30%. I am so glad to have bought this for the price and the value I couldn't imagine going to another engine now.
imported_madac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
imported_jimmy
RCC Noob

ohh yeah the reedy .21 is **IN FAST i have one in my jammin x2 buggy and it is crazy, constant power and great for the money cant go wrong
imported_jimmy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #8

Total Props: 57
I would not suggest them to my enemy, my self i had two and neither ran worth a * after break in. The first one we did a normal break in and it ran good for half a race weekend and started acting up after that. The second one ( now knowing about the slow break in ) i broke it in vary carefully and slow, it did not even make the track before it would not run proper. In this time the rear bearing was already loosing up...not worth the pain in the and the wallet !
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
Nick411
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Nicholas S.
Radio of choice:
Radiopost
# of RCs: 3

If you wan't proof of how awsome this motor is look at what Maifield has done with it.

On temporary leave.....be back soon!
Nick411 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
SANDYM
RCC Contributor

I am: sandy

If you are going to get one get the reedy 2039 pipe it makes the engine very easy to tune. As for temps I run mine at 300 degrees and that seems to be where they run the best for me.
Jconcepts
M2C Racing
VP FUEL
Fastlane Graphix
McIsaac Construction
Remax Georgian Bay
Arbon Electric
Back Hoe Jack's Excavation Service
SANDYM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in