engine conversion - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Boat Discussion Discuss RC Boats, submarines & hovercrafts in electric or nitro.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
boatsrme
RCC Apprentice

I am: BRUCE K.
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Elec engine conversion

I'm planning on buying a cabin cruiser ready to run, twin engine. I'm hoping to redo the engines so they run independantly, I want to know where I can buy a radio with side by side throttle controls, so I can make it "turn on a dime". I'd appreciate any possible help.
boatsrme is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Ron Marwood
RCC Contributor

I am: Ron M
Radio of choice:
Airtronics, Taranis QX7
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 6
Re: engine conversion

I plan on doing this for a tug boat at some time in the future. What I plan to do is remove the springs from the right hand stick and instal a ratchet drag on it so it behaves the same as the throttle stick on the left. If you want to be able to control other items then you should have a good 6 channel radio.
Ron.
Ron Marwood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
bartman
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brian C
Radio of choice:
12x,DX7,DX3r,
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 10

I wonder if one could mix the throttles to the rudder chanel and have them automaticlly slow and reverse to each other. Would take some programming but I think it may be possible.
bartman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

What transmitter do you have? Asking as someone may already have instructions or hints on the procedure if it is possible with your system.

One option would be to program mixing into the transmitter so that rudder can offset the throttle input to each motor.

For an example, if the throttle was full rudder would reduce the inboard throttle in a turn. At neutral the rudder would forward one motor and reverse the other.

This could be set at any amount, (even cancelling the effect at full forward and reverse throttle values so the physical rudder on the boat is all that moves) and even set to a switch to allow it to be turned on or off.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

I was going to do this with my Viking ship. Two ESC and motors have the stick spring load to centre on both left and right stick so you can have forward and reverse function on both sticks. That way when you push both sticks forward you have full power both motors or leave one stick alone and have power to one prop or full forward stick on one and reverse stick on the other and you could spin the boat on the spot. Just like the real thing.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in