RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0
Homebuilding KJ66

Andrew,
I have read all the back posts of yours and a whole lot more just browsing around.
I have a few questions for you and if anybody else wants to jump in please do.
1. What fuel tank did you make yours from? I measured a few at a few stores and they where under 100mm.A few thought I was crazy.
2.Where did you purchase your turbine and compressor? I tryed looking at Wren but I can't get the top of there web site for info.but I have ABC.
3.Did you also purchase the nuts from a turbine supplier? I know you made your own shaft.
Thats it for now. I got my book last Sat. and have read it 3 times. I am going to start with this and will make the sheet metal templates out of card material to figure out the amount to order. Also I am going to turn some items for the spun parts to fit on.
I wanted to wait for the cd from the GTBA but they told me they where in the process of updating and would let me know when it was available. I would like the old one if I could get it. At this time I am not to happy with there site. I think I can get more info from you or others on this site.
I am going to get enough material for 3 because after thinking about it I will probably need them. 2 for the CF100 and one for a trainer.
I appreciate any help you can give and I will keep this thread open and keep you up to date. It is going to take awhile from seeing how long it takes to get a book.
John
Old 09-04-2003, 06:35 AM   #2
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
John,
I am just on my way to work this morning, but later on today I will reply to your questions...

I think I can answer most if not all of them!

And, I do have the GTBA cd from about two years back and the newer newsletters dont have much to add to KJ66 building anyhow. I will send you the CD and you can use it for as long as need be. I also have the printed out material, there is a LOT of info there!

Get back to you tonight with more.....

Andrew
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:40 PM   #3
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

Andrew,
Thanks for the return on my post.
John
Old 09-05-2003, 06:27 AM   #4
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

John,
Once again, I am short on time...

But, to answer a few questions....

I made my compressor nut, bought the turbine nut from Wren. I also bought my turbine wheel pre bored from Wren, and the NGV casting. They are excellent to deal with.

The gas canister I bought from ABC microturbines (as thery are not available here) as well as the parts for the combustion chamber, and the diffuser, bearings and KKK compressor wheel. I made up the remainder...

I have tried to get in touch with Alan Blackmun, from ABC Microturbines, but have not been able to get in touch with him since I purchased my parts in January. There are other places to get the parts (Artes Jets, a fellow in Switzarland, and a few others) too, I can get the info for you..

First things first, email me your address and I will send you the GTBA CD I have for you to look at. I can get it out ASAP!

acoholic@nt.net

Also, do you have Thomas Kamps 2nd edition book on building microturbines?? If not I recommend getting it. I can send you my copy too...

Old 09-06-2003, 01:17 AM   #5
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

Andrew,
I have the 2nd. addition by Thomas Kamps. That was the book I had waited for for quite awhile. As for ABC, I emailed them and Allen replied after awhile. They gave me the toltal price on a turbine but did not break the components down ie turbine and compressor. My son is coming up tomorrow so I will see if he can figure out why I can't get any info off of Wrens site. I have only little x's in the top rows.
I have a few friends still left in HD parts industry, and I will check some more but so far the closest filter found is a Fleetguard ff211 fuel filter. I went to the Toyota dealer to find one that was on a web site but no luck for Canada. The 211 filter is 114mm od. and I was thinking I could make the diffuser & front cover a couple of mm's larger on the od. it should work. These items are not rotating and could be machined to the outer size.
I will send you my snail address by email. You didn't keep the package that I sent you. The return address is on it.
I will get back to you a little later.
John
Old 09-06-2003, 10:42 AM   #6
Marty C
RCC Expert Contributor

KJ66

Hi John, If you would like to email me a list of parts you require I may be able to assist/supply with certain KJ-66 components...
Old 09-06-2003, 02:37 PM   #7
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

Marty,
Thanks for the help. I know it is going to take me awhile but I will persavere.
Had to haul garbage and wood scrap from redoing my model trailer. Got to get a digital camera soon to start showing what I did. The trailer is 12' long and 4' wide. I made the front part 32" high and where the tail fits it's 40" high. There are 2 doors on the rear and the top opens with two covers.
Everything is plain jane to look at since I don't want to advertize what is in it. Anyways while at the dump I found a stainless steel hot table and the sides let alone the top and drawers are in good shape. I then asked if I could come back during the week and grab some of the metal. Since it is a small town he just asked what I wanted and I told him. Now I am going back for that but also they have a bunch sorted out in another spot. I think I am getting lucky.
If I can get some parts from you it will save me a lot of headaches. I don't suppose you know what some guy's are using for a case or are they just ordering it like Andrew. : He is sending some info so I will be at the end really deep in debt to him. Got to meet this guy when I go East next year. There are a lot of neat people in this hobby but I haven't met anybody quite like him.
I will send email to you.
John
Old 09-06-2003, 08:01 PM   #8
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

John,
Hey, its the least I can do! The CD will be sent to you Monday morning. xpresspost. You will need a lot of time to digest all that is in the newsletters and it is interesting to follow the progression of the design.

I will also send a copy (my working copy) of the Artes KJ66 drawings for you to study. The only thing that isnt clear is the lubrication line, that is in the GTBA newsletters and I can also detail how to do it, not something you need to know untill later on...

There are some other sources for materials, like some guys in the UK I bought some steel from for the NGV rings, and some other SS for the exhaust cones, etc. Up here in my town 310 is non existant!

Oh yes, I have the left hand thread 6mm tap and die. They cost me about $50 and PLEASE dont buy them, I will send you mine. I cut my threads on the shaft on the lathe and finished it up with the die. The spinner nut I had to tap, my turbine nut I bought from Wren when I got my wheel and NGV casting.

If you want the tap and die now, let me know and I can send with the CD. If not I can send it when ever you are ready.

I will also help with whatever I can, be it metal you cant find, sources for other parts, etc. Everything is out there, just need to find out where!! Thats half the battle..

Are you planning to machine your own difuser? Are you planning to buy any premade parts like I did? Or make 100% from scratch?

Old 09-07-2003, 01:40 PM   #9
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

Andrew,
I am going to try and make most of the parts myself except for the turbine and compressor and nuts. I have lots of time and if I make a mistake I will redo it. As for the SS I am going to see what the guys have at the waste place. I know there was a hot table or stove am not sure which
there plus they had a bunch in another location. You never know what will show up. If not the Metal Mart in Calgary said they could get it for me or have it in stock. I am going to do a lot of reading before committing myself to the final parts but I will start on the shafts first so if you can send the dies I would appreciate it. I thought I had the bearings already but as it turns out I had to get a set from Lethbridge which I will pick up tomorrow where I have an appointment for accupuncture. I have 4 ceramic 607 bearings in my supplies plus some others but they won't work.
Somewhere I found the shafts could be made from 4130 steel and I like that better than working from the large capscrew they have in the book. I am not to fussy about grinding the hard surface from it but I will if I have to. Thanks for the tip also on the leather belt it works like a dam.
I am going to look for a spot welder attachment for my 250 amp welder. It maybe easier or I will make my own.
Any info you can send me would be appreciatted and I will send it back.
Marty has also sent me an email about parts and I am real serious about purchasing from him. He is a rep for TJT and I would prefer dealing with somebody here.
I just made some templates for a few things which gives me an idea what I will need for sheet material.
Thanks in advance.
John
Old 09-07-2003, 03:31 PM   #10
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

OK tomorrow I will send out the cd, the tap and die set and some literature.

It says in the Artes manual any toolsteel will do for the shaft. I was looking for 4340 or 4140 but went with some oil hardening drill rod (left unhardened).

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in