goldberg electra - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
rusty33
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: dave a

Total Props: 0
goldberg electra

Anyone put anything other than the can 550/600 in this bird? I bought an arf knock-off that has a stick mount and I am thinking about putting a geared 400. Any thoughts? I did build one a lifetime ago and flew it with the stock set-up and found it a wee bit underpowered.

rusty
rusty33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
ModelBuilder
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bill H
Radio of choice:
DX9 iX12 DX18
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 1
Re: goldberg electra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty33
Anyone put anything other than the can 550/600 in this bird? I bought an arf knock-off that has a stick mount and I am thinking about putting a geared 400. Any thoughts? I did build one a lifetime ago and flew it with the stock set-up and found it a wee bit underpowered.

rusty
Rusty,

I posted here before with litle interest in the same concerns over a GP Spectra. I have the JES 40-3P opto speed control and a Phasor 30/3 motor to install in mine. I need a Li-saver for this ESC and I will buy the best 3 cell lipo I can afford when I am ready. I am using Mica film for covering as it is so light and strong. Pucture resistance as you know is good for the underside but I think it is the best stuff for a sailplane. I have new HS-85MG servos and a Hitec 555 for it as it will need the strength I think. This motor /ESC package is for Hi Perf sailplanes up to 120".

I am building a second Spectra but using the 550 that came with it and an Electrifly 55amp ESC w/BEC and a big lipo. Again covered with Mica Film and the same flight pack as above. It should be just fine as far as power goes. I figure the light building and battery weight savings will overcome the performance problems that come from using full scale r/c gear and that big 6 or 7 cell pack and an extra full size servo to throw the switch. It's hard to build a Spectra using the prescribed method with full size r/c and all without coming in at 8oz over gross. That will definitely create an underpowered model that is more marketable for it.

I haven't flown either yet. I don't know if the Electra and Spectra have become passe but I had trouble getting any answers for souping them up, or much interest at all in the Spectra. I know the ARF Spectra doesn't have near the motor the kit does. The Goldberg Electra kit motors were good.

Gets expensive to do the Jeti/phaso/opto route. One of those Electrifly CX's was $150. I haven't even bought a battery yet.

Good luck, Bill
Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
rusty33
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: dave a

Total Props: 0
electra/spectra

They may be passe, but they sure are relaxing to fly. Are you considering some carbon fibre reinforcement for the wings? They aren't particularly sturdy especially when you have a young, eager pilot (11 year old son) trying to do multiple loops

I recently bought a eflite 400 with a Cobri gear drive. With a big prop (at least 11x7) I should be able to get some good climbs. Good luck with your project.

rusty
rusty33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Nice aircraft, I do think she would need some reinforcement, not only the wings but the tail as well, she just wasn't built for speed or high Gs.
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
ModelBuilder
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bill H
Radio of choice:
DX9 iX12 DX18
# of RCs: 50+

Hey Jim and Rusty,

I am just going to fly it stock built with the exception of more shear web on the bias either side of what's there. The only performance I want is the ability to climb to altitude without the problems I see others encounter.

I see a lot built over weight as I mentioned. If they had the power to fly at that weight I can see them needing reinforcement to handle those loads under G. I have noticed also that people tend to launch them like javelins where they wollow around until the model actually does what the pilot should do and put the nose down to get some speed in the first place.

The Aero Naut 1.75 in spinner fairs nicely into the fuselage with the 9-6 or 10-5 folding blades for the Jeti powered model. I couldn't find an 8-4.5 that would do that with the spinner profile I liked. Hobby Lobby, maybe others have straight winged sailplanes that would better utilize the drive train of this one if aerobatics were what I had in mind.

Getting rid of that big 7 cell pack will put both of them nicely within the optimal weight range. I'm going to fly the 550 or Speed 600 model with an 8.4 pack initially. I don't want my sailplanes to do anything outside their intended parameters and realize that a 7 cell pack may be needed to get penetration on some days. I have one of those for my 72" geared 600 Yesteryear Playboy.

I've taken the old Q-Tee plan and enlarged it to 48" for a geared 400. SR Batteries has that Acro Pro, a different wing Q-Tee and they put a Phasor 15/4 in that.

I had bought an Elfite 400 that I was going to use for the Q-Tee but realized it wasn't the right kv and I should have bought the 480 to indeed get equivalent of the 400 I wanted. The Eflite 400 I then thought I would put in one the Eflite 400 kits which are cool. EHH. Sorry, wrong 400 again. There is so much to know about the electric stuff. Some trial and error regardless of how much reading needs to be done. I go on the E forums as well and of course there is little that adresses my specific wants. I have some odds and ends, that 400 for one, that I relied upon a "Tech Line" reps knowledge to buy. When in doubt they always say Yes it seams. Still my own responsibility ultimately but if I don't know an answer I'll admit it.

I'm busy building a pair of Brisighella ARE models right now. I haven't paid much mind to the electric stuff lately. A.D.D. at it's finest.

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in