What are "scale" model planes? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
NAP1947
RCC Apprentice
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Norm P
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 0
What are "scale" model planes?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Still lurking here and using the Aerofly simulator. I have finally been able to take off (optional as I understand) and land (described to me as mandatory) once, all flights ones where I got off the ground would have been expensive with a real plane. Hardest part is remembering the direction of the plane relative to me, much harder when coming toward me, much easier in a real plane as I remember it.

Anyway I have been offered an Anniversary Balsa Piper RJ Cub kit, with radios and a couple engines, all brand new although close to 20 years old for an extremely low price. The Cub is described as a "Scale" model, I do not understand this phrase, cannot find a definition and the seller cannot explain it either. Can someone enlighten me what I am getting into please.

Thanks

Norm
NAP1947 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
JoeT
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: JoeT
Radio of choice:
Tandemist (Ex Horusist)
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 65
Re: What are "scale" model planes?

Scale model = Close representation of a full size airplane but in a size and scale suitable for our purpose.

Example: 1/3 Scale "Scale P-40" is a smaller (1/3 the size) of the full size P-40.
Skywing Edge 540 V3 Build: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rcan...9580468180020/
Skywing NG Build: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rcan...4310223707045/
JoeT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
NAP1947
RCC Apprentice
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8

Thanks Joe that actually makes sense, if I remember correctly the Cub is a .30 and has a 76" wing span so I suspect that is close to 1/3.

So in building models that are stated to be scale I assume it is important to keep everything in scale as well, for example the size of the engine etc. This set include a .90 and 1.30 two stroke, I am guessing but it would seem the .90 would be closer to scale as the original Cub was about a 40 horsepower Continental as I remember them.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Cricklewood
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 4

A 1/3 scale Cub has a 144" wingspan. A 76" wingspan Cub would be just over 1/5 scale. Have fun building the kit, if you get it. If you have any questions there are lots of people on here who can provide help and/or offer advice.
Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
NAP1947
RCC Apprentice
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8

I better check, 144" is a big plane.
I do not plan to tackle it until, after I get my wings on some other model, so my risk of a bad crash is lessened (but not eliminated).
Is it safe to assume that being a kit most everything is repairable with time, effort and patience? Do you think such a model 1/3 or 1/5 is compatible with electric or are the 2 stroke a better option?
Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAP1947 View Post
I better check, 144" is a big plane.
I do not plan to tackle it until, after I get my wings on some other model, so my risk of a bad crash is lessened (but not eliminated).
Is it safe to assume that being a kit most everything is repairable with time, effort and patience? Do you think such a model 1/3 or 1/5 is compatible with electric or are the 2 stroke a better option?
You can definitely use an electric setup in that plane, but it won't be inexpensive. For myself I prefer to stick to smaller planes for electric power because the big batteries are so expensive. I'm pretty new myself but I think you might even get away with a 20cc gas engine in that airframe.

My last bit of advice, invest in a foam trainer like the eflite apprentice before you put any money into the cub.
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
-Rick-
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick K.
Radio of choice:
Frsky X12S Horus, X20S
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11

Also, A twenty year old kit and the motors may be okay. You might have to replace some wood in the kit because of age. The motor(s) might need work but that's doable. But I don't believe you will be able to use the old radio that comes with it. A twenty year old radio will no longer be legal to use. (I believe)

Rick
MAAC #20880
-Rick- is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
NAP1947
RCC Apprentice
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8

Thank you, good suggestions on the power and the wood. I do plan to fly a foam plane first and make the Piper a project for later use. I did not know older radio might be unusable but have a Spektrum DX5 I use on the simulator and figure I could upgrade at some future time so the radio is a write off. Are the servos usable? They seem to be bigger than what today's units appear to be, are they better or stronger or just old tech and big?
Norm
Old 09-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
strikemaster
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Darth
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4

Did some Googling -- this is the carl Goldberg kit with 76-inch wingspan. This would be a good second model, a pretty forgiving design.

I'd also find a local MAAC club and join -- most clubs have a good student program and makes life a lot easier when you have people who know how to build a wooden model. BTW, this is really not a difficult kit to build, just takes patience if this is your first time.

I agree, dump the electronics and get a modern radio -- it'll serve you well in the future. Of course, you may have gotten lucky and the radio is narrow band -- check it against the MAAC frequency chart to see if it still legal for use in Canada. Have a fellow modeller check out the engine to make sure it hasn't suffered from rust or gumming or worse.

BTW2, I just saw that you'd posted as I was composing my answer. Make sure that you are using standard-sized servoes and not micro servoes. If they're about a 1/4-inch thick, you have micro servoes. Anything close to 3/4 of an inch thick by two inches long, you're in the standard range.
strikemaster is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Servos will be heavy and less powerful compared to today's but should be perfectly usable so long as they were stored well to avoid corrosion or UV erosion. They will undoubtedly be older analog "tech" but perfectly compatible with the radio they came with.

20 years old would put a radio @ 1994 well after the 1991 change to narrow band FM so it will still be perfectly legal to use. I would be leery of any issues like I said before re: corrosion or degradation. Get it outfitted with new batteries and try it out in a test environment first.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in