Tail Heavy Beauties - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nostalgia - Old Timer Aircraft Everything about the good old days of RC!

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Leslie
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Leslie S

Total Props: 0
Tail Heavy Beauties

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi

I was looking through my husbands plan collection over that last horrible snow storm. There I came across a quantity of oldtimer plans that look just so interesting. Plans such as: Buzzard Bombshell; Bulldozer; OldTime Satyr; Cloudster; and the Viking to name only a few.

I take note that these are similar in design, being high-wing with short noses and long hind quarters. They all seem to have their under-carriage placed well forward.

In the future I would like very much to try building one, but, have concerns about proper balancing. They all look to be tail heavy to start with, and once R/C gear is installed to upgrade the original free-flight characteristics, I imagine balancing issues would increase.

Do the pro's just pile lead into the front of these to balance? I can't believe that simply adjusting the battery position would be sufficient, especially considering there would be a fuel tank in the way. How are these beautiful planes balanced?

I hope someone knows. Thanks. Leslie
Leslie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11
Re: Tail Heavy Beauties

Yeah Leslie,

You need to set up a folding picnic table down the back road behind the forestry school
when the bears are out and pin down the plans. The tail feathers were usually built
with select balsa called AA or AAA grade....which meant super light. Sig Mfg became famous
for being able to supply these different grades or weights. Nowadays, we just build them
and modify a few sections according to our keen flying common sense as you have already indicated.
Williame should be able to add to this!

Cassat
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Leslie
RCC Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassat View Post
Yeah Leslie,

You need to set up a folding picnic table down the back road behind the forestry school
when the bears are out and pin down the plans. The tail feathers were usually built
with select balsa called AA or AAA grade....which meant super light. Sig Mfg became famous
for being able to supply these different grades or weights. Nowadays, we just build them
and modify a few sections according to our keen flying common sense as you have already indicated.
Williame should be able to add to this!

Cassat
Hello Cassat

I'm not exactly sure what back roads and bears have to do with it, but, I certainly do not need to pin plans down on a picnic table to get an intelligent answer. May I please take the liberty to assume that you are just totally drunk. Have a good one.

Leslie
Old 05-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11

Nah, I'm still alive an kickin. I guess you missed the part about the Balsa weights and grades. AAA being the lightest grade.It is the force of mass leverage...kind of a physics thing from an engineering persective!

Regards
Cassat
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:42 AM   #5
ricksed
RCC Apprentice

I am: rick s

Hi Leslie, I just completed an oldie called a Kloud King that needed a pound of nose weight to balance so I extended the nose by 3.5 inches and moved the engine ahead.It changed the look of the plane a little but sure made it fly better.
ricksed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
tom0187rc
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Hello Leslie

Here is a link to a company in Ontario that sells Buzzard and other old free flight kits for Radio Control. They may have sugguestions for best way to balance .Send them a e-mail since sell these kits sure have sugguestions for you.

http://www.soy.on.ca/BUZZARDbombshell.html
tom0187rc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

you could also use the new micro servos hitsc hs-55 /65, planes like this would need very little power to controll the surfaces & the very light weight of the small gear would help preserve the flight charistics of this type of plane .you could also use pull pull on elevator& rudder with kevlar cord or dental floss , this helps save the weight of pushrods in the tail .Roger
Old 05-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

I use to fly free flight 30 years ago, these models were not balanced in the usual 30% but close to 45 to 50%, they had a lifting tail airfoil which was the reason the cg was further back and they were designed to float with no change of attitude, the motors were quite heavy and the rest of the plane quite light that is why the nose was short. The modern versions of these should have a little longer nose to get the motor out and to get the radio under the cg or forward, but it is still a floater so control surfaces should be fairly small since you are just correcting a free flying plane, usually just small cut out tabs, this is no windy weather or 3d machine.

Dan
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

ddruck has it right - most of these designs have a lifting tailplane and the CofG is like he said. Spirit of Yesteryear (SOY) is a good source of O/T kits, some down-sized for small electrics. The nose moment can certainly be made a bit longer if you're building from scratch - the engines were comparatively heavy and had an ignition coil, small capacitor (condenser in those days), and a couple of cells, usually AA size to power the ignition.
I do believe Leslie, that the landing gear was placed well forward to save the propeller from coming to grief as they were often hand carved. Sometimes makes the take-off a little squirrely!
Hitec HS-81s would be perfect for this application, on what were referred to as Class B power jobs! (Around 0,29 cu.in. displacement.) Small electrics would be about half-A. (0,049)
Now you're entering a whole new world of pleasure, Leslie - welcome.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
Leslie
RCC Junior Contributor

Hi

First of all, thankyou all for your generous replies, I'm finding this especially interesting.
I'm developing a mindset of what would be required to build one of these truly inspiring air pioneers, and only with your help. I believe the prerequisite would be to select materials with acute attention to weight and quality. The idea of Ramjet's "pull-pull" system with dental floss intrigues me. I intend to research the rigging of such an adventure and aquire a drawing of the system.
Also, I'm wondering if the CG was a little further back on the originals due to a lifting tailplane, would a modern drawing take that into account. eg. the Buzzard Bombshell plans we have are from RCM and show servos; they were probably converted from a freeflight drawing example.
I'm not sure if I'd care to make the nose longer, as I'm afraid that may remove from the character of the plane and make it something entirely different. Perhaps adding one of those heavy Higgley nose-cones is an alternative.
Anyway, I'm going to make a discision on what oldtimer plans out of the horde I would like to build off of, and then formulate a building plan based on your input and help from my hubby.
Maybe one day it will even fly if I can build it.

Leslie
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in