RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Pepperpete
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Glenn M

Total Props: 2
ATJ Turbines?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So I was browsing through my options for a different power plant for my F-16, when I came across ATJ. Now my first impression (at least of the website) is Uh Oh. But unless I'm mistaken, some of the stats of this particular turbine are kinda impressive. I will admit the throttle response times sound like total BS but that's what I've got you guys for...to set the record straight.

http://www.atj.com.tw/atj_120ti_e.htm

Has anyone had experience with them yet? Comparing it to my P80SE, it's only slightly more thirsty but with tons more thrust, and hardly weighs much more.

So lets here it. No holds bar. Is it crap? I was thinking that I could lighten up my plane as I had planned, install this and be at the exact same weight I was before but with way more power behind it.

*Edit*...Just learned that apparently FEJ is re branding these turbines as Jet Leopard (omg how original)... Does that mean I will have to replace every component in the Turbine before it will work properly? LOL.
Member #4 of the 2 litre club! And proud of it.

Last edited by Pepperpete; 06-11-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Pepperpete is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
Marty C
RCC Expert Contributor

Total Props: 0
Re: ATJ Turbines?

Apparently Jet Leopard are NOT related to ATJ from what I have been told from the horses mouth, they do look similar but its hard to tell from pics alone. The performance and thrust specifications Ive been sent do differ from the ATJ's. Iam waiting on the first samples (Jet Leopards) to arrive so will know more upon closer inspection.... Bottom line not many people have first hand experiance with the ATJ's or Jet Leopard's as yet so still bit early to pass an honest opinion. They do come from Taiwan and not China however so thats good news....
Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
kev-o
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin f
Radio of choice:
Spektrum /Vcontrol

Total Props: 13

glen in my opinion and its worked for me in the past.
pick a power plant thats familiar with the people you fly with normally from what i could see you have people that fly jetcat,wren,pst,booster and kingtechs our ability to help out is made a whole lot easier when we are dealing with similar components.it sounds like you are limited to what you can remove weight wise . it didnt seem to bad power wise just a lil on the porky side and you were a bit behind the thrust curve most of the time . imo just lighten it up as best you can and try changing some throttle settings to adjust where your thrust will be at certain stick positions thats what im doin with the tutor. you are doin really well with that airframe with all the issues youve had along the way and by all rights that could have bought the farm on the maiden but you brought it back kudos to you..
save your money for a flash

kev-o
MA XLPRO2K Long live the flybar
kev-o is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 41

The ATJ may be o.k. but for your F16 you need to lighten that puppy up and this ain't gonna do it.

If you want a slightly more thrust for a lot less weight:

http://www.jets-munt.com/pb/wp_b214c...53878119333855

If you want a lot more thrust for slightly less weight:

http://www.jets-munt.com/pb/M140/M14...94301743843505

Same mfr as the 160 in my Flash with a known track record. If I had the cash I'd be ordering the 140 for the Flash. It's significantly lighter than the 160 and plenty of thrust for a Flash.

For that airframe, I would recommend the 90 first. You are WAY too heavy and need to put that thing on a serious diet.

PaulD

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 41

BTW - with turbines you really have to watch the weight figures quoted as some only quote the bare turbine weight without starter, mounting, ECU etc.

PaulD

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Wayne22
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: wayne b

Total Props: 13

Kev-o's got some good advice...stick to a known entity where support and knowlege is readily available. You have plenty of power with that P-80...you just need to add a lot more lightness.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #7

Total Props: 57

Fill your tires with helium!
I'll echo what the others have said, go with an engine that other people have experience with, the only time I'm willing to own engines that nobody else has (like my Olympus) is when it's from a manufacture like AMT where the track record has been phenominal. They are a good known manufacture. ATJ has gotten some good reviews, but I don't know how many are actually in use, 20 maybe? 30? I have no idea.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
Pepperpete
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Glenn M

Total Props: 2

Great advice. Thanks very much. Lots of thinking to do.
Member #4 of the 2 litre club! And proud of it.
Pepperpete is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
hotspot
RCC Noob

I am: ws
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

I took the punt and have had an Atj 120-ti now for a year and must say its running very well with upto 30lbs available. It has over 80 cycles and over 11 hours flight time without any problems.Have talked to ATJ about servicing when 25 hours comes around and he has said no requirement to send the turbine to him till 50 hours so they are running very well under test and at the clubs in Australia.
hotspot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
So I was browsing through my options for a different power plant for my F-16, when I came across ATJ. Now my first impression (at least of the website) is Uh Oh. But unless I'm mistaken, some of the stats of this particular turbine are kinda impressive. I will admit the throttle response times sound like total BS but that's what I've got you guys for...to set the record straight.

http://www.atj.com.tw/atj_120ti_e.htm

Has anyone had experience with them yet? Comparing it to my P80SE, it's only slightly more thirsty but with tons more thrust, and hardly weighs much more.

So lets here it. No holds bar. Is it crap? I was thinking that I could lighten up my plane as I had planned, install this and be at the exact same weight I was before but with way more power behind it.

*Edit*...Just learned that apparently FEJ is re branding these turbines as Jet Leopard (omg how original)... Does that mean I will have to replace every component in the Turbine before it will work properly? LOL.
It has been a number of years since I researched these engines. Find out what kind of material the combustion chamber is made of and then compare to other well known engines on the market. If not inconel then I would question why not. Best price is not always the best price.
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in