Exploding Fists 250mm FPV Quad Build Log - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:26 PM   #11
Recursion
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Recursion
Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D Plus
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 3
Re: Exploding Fists 250mm FPV Quad Build Log

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
No important changes, but I went FPV flying tonight on 4S again. Quickly edited together some of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGBmLGGfKkE

Starting to get the hang of it. The video signal could use some improvement I think so I need to start measuring the Chinese antennas I have to see how well they are tuned.
Recursion is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #12
Recursion
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D Plus

Finally got an opportunity to fly with some awesome guys today (I'm upper right). I've confirmed my cheap Chinese antennas are completely crap (untuned) and perform like there is no antenna. So I'll order a decent set, while I'll see if I can desolder and resize the cheapos ones to retune and salvage them (since I really want backups). Stock performed a hell of a lot better, so you're better off keeping stock.

Last edited by Recursion; 05-16-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #13
Recursion
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D Plus

Not a lot of changes. Added an aprox 35 degree angle to both cameras. Probably need a bit more eventually but this is okay for now.

Edit: A video of some dive practice I was doing today. The ending is the best :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA5a-SsYhOc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w11.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	627825  

Last edited by Recursion; 05-27-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:59 PM   #14
Recursion
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D Plus

So I've now successfully tested what happens when the quad is smashed into a concrete curb head on at about 80kmph. The 'bang' was spectacular. Unfortunately the SD Card was ejected from the back of the camera (which along with the battery was shot about 20m forward) so there is no footage available.

The full damage consisted on a delaminated front section of the frame, a busted motor (warped the bell), broken nylon posts (the flight controller ripped them while flying forward), a broken Mobius camera (the USB port was crushed), and what I'm going to attribute a broken FPV CCD camera (it technically died when I tested the rebuild tonight, but I suspect it was due to previous damage). I'm not pleased I don't have a video of the crash, but I've been waiting wondering when I'd get the opportunity to do some rebuild improvements.

My goal is that every time I need to rebuild a quad (or significantly repair it), I want to make at least one improvement in the process.

1. I replaced the bottom plates (this wasn't really required, but I'm planning on cutting the front/back of the plates off of one of these frames for a future LOS acro quad anyway.
2. I extended the LED system to have LEDs in the front of the frame to assist with orientation and potentially night flying.
3. I removed the USB connector and hard wired the USB power to the board inside of the camera, fixing the camera. This actually removes about 1g of weight as well, so bonus I guess.
4. Replaced the broken CCD camera with a 500TVL CMOS Camera I had as a backup. I have another CCD camera almost here for a future build, so I'll get this replaced shortly.
5. Cleaned up the wiring a bit more securing it everything better internally.
6. New antennas.
7. New PID controller (Okay this had little to do with the rebuild, but I've been meaning to try Luxfloat after they recently fixed some bugs with it).

Here is the camera image I made for future reference:

Final rebuild:

I re-maidened it tonight but I didn't get footage because the mobius was still broken at the time. It was extremely windy and the performance was steller (increased rates for double the speed for flips as well). So far I think I'm liking luxfloat better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w15.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	627857   Click image for larger version

Name:	w16.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	627865   Click image for larger version

Name:	w17.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	627873  
Old 05-29-2015, 01:33 AM   #15
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

nice build thread! look forward to some crazy videos!

I have been working on tuning my cloned-MXP250 (very similar to the clone-out you have here) for 6 months now, LOL. OK I am easily distracted by my 20 other FPV planes. finally getting it closer to what it should be. Decided to build a 2nd identical one so a crash doesn't end my day at the field. I run Cobra, RG, and 3S system, with Boscam FPV. from today
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:52 AM   #16
Recursion
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D Plus

Nice location for flying. Is that local to you? You should consider trying 4S batteries on that. If you're making TPA adjustments does that mean you're using PID controller 0? If so you might want to consider trying out the others (assuming cleanflight).

One upgrade I'm making soon will be attaching an Openlog data logger to the FC . Should help with seeing the actual gyro/correction values for things like punch oscillations and help with further PID tweaking. The visualization software made for it is incredible.

I've already got almost all of the parts for my next build. I agree that having at least one spare is a good idea to keep us up in the air between crash repairs. Most of the cost is in the ground gear (e.g. googles/transmitter/chargers/etc..), so incremental builds doesn't hurt as much.

Last edited by Recursion; 05-29-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #17
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis

I just changed to multiwii 3 PID controller. slowly learning how to tune these to perform fast and hard.

I probably will not make this on 4S, but I am going to build an identical one, possibly 4S, and also I just ordered a Armattan mini hex frame with tilt/gopro unit which will be 4S (all Cobra, RG gear). I already have all the electic bits, just need better frames (have an old minihex and small quad which I feel are eclipsed by these newer frames)
Old 05-30-2015, 11:08 PM   #18
Recursion
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D Plus

I think by the time I'm done I'll have all of the PID controllers tuned since I keep changing my mind, but this build has really been more of a testing platform anyway. Chances are I'll have 2-3 more builds by the end of the season this year.

I've never built a hex personally (though with the spares I order I easily could). There is something elegant about the simplicity of a quad. Mini quads I'd rather keep lighter too, and it's less painful to break all of your props
Old 05-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #19
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis

totally agree, the hex makes it pricier, heavier and larger, which flies in the face of the wonderful physics of a miniquad. However the way I understand it, the hex makes it more possible to have Gopro aboard instead of only Mobius while doing crazy aerobatics. Though now I see many miniquads carrying Gopro and I guess they just use 4S or more volts.

Anyways we just found out our 2 RC flying fields are up for sale (one of them is $18 milion), so just might be that I can't fly planes much longer. Miniquads all the way!

-

hey have you tried the new unbreakable props that Surveilzone is selling? I just ordered some up. I broke 6 HQ props this week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0am9L4jp8
Old 06-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #20
Recursion
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker View Post
hey have you tried the new unbreakable props that Surveilzone is selling? I just ordered some up. I broke 6 HQ props this week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0am9L4jp8
Yeah I've ordered a couple sets of each to try them out at various sizes after someone I was flying with was raving about their durability. They haven't arrived yet. They are definitely breakable, but are apparently way more durable. The added durability comes at the price of some efficiency though (likely due to the extra bendability) and thrust when using them.

For flying in a forest or shrubby areas, the compromise might be worth it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in