New Insurance for Hobby etc. (MAAC substitute?) - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #41
Richard Lyle Barlow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Richard Lyle Barlow
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 13

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I would, at this stage like to mention that John Kovats is one of a couple of people from the current insurance industry who have given me invaluable advice on insurance matters for some time.
John was asked by me to join the committee and his agreement to do so is gratefully acknowledged.
This is a win/win situation for all of MAAC to have a current expert on board. There is no place for politics in the work of this committee. What we need is the best possible coverage for our members, and getting and keeping that is the sole reason why the committee should exist.
John, I thank you again and look forward to working closely with you, making good use of your valuable expertise.
Richard Barlow
Insurance Chairman.
Richard Lyle Barlow is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #42
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
And to be totally visible and since the middle zone AZM is past,John has agreed to be nominated for the insurance committee through the N Ont AZM next weekend ,which is totally legal in our constitution.
Its about time someone publicly thanked Richard for the job he has done with the insurance responsibility over the last year,which has been a thankless task at the best of times with much interference through the piece.
Correcting some comments on this site to the contrary, it was a board decision to vest the insurance responsibility with a member of the executive rather than a regular chairperson due to the importance and basic nature of this area,and I agree with Mr Sharpe that this is where the responsibility probably belongs.
Assuming Richard is successful in gaining the other additional member to John for the committee, that he mentioned above, and knowing the credentials of the individual involved ,I think that MAAC will have the strongest insurance group ever, and MAAC members will feel their interests are well served in this most important area.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:46 AM   #43
j-coles

Total Props: 0
[quote=
1) the club did not enforce "no flying behind the flight line rules", don't be surprised if the claim is denied and personal liability to all club members surfaces.

2) The club didn't have a wings program or enforce wings rules and an accident occurs with a person without wings, the same may occur

3) The club had no "circuit flying" rules when more than one plane was in the air or had circuit rules and didn't enforce them because the "guys didn't like it and didn't follow them". If a serious accident occurs because of a maneuvor was made to avoid a mid air, don't be surprised if a claim is denied.

.[/quote]

im not claiming to be an expert , but i have known for years that as a sailplane pilot ,MAAC insurance does very little to cover me partly becuase sailplanes dont conform well to conventional practice ,for example ;; if the wind is at my back at the flight station,,do i walk out onto an active run way to luanch into the wind from the other side or do i luanch down wind??

there are many ,many questions that i have in this respect and im sure there are many unknown things to the average club member,,perhaps a great place to start would be to start a new thread addressing some of theses concerns

i have always been under the impression that if my name is on a clubs list and if it every gets real nasty,,i could be partly responsiable??

one story i always remember from my old hanggliding days was of members never paying club dues until near the end of the season to better there chances of not being as part of the membership until after most of the seasons flying was done . i dont know how much truth there was to it but more food for thought

j-coles
j-coles is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:39 PM   #44
Sharpy205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lyle Barlow
I would, at this stage like to mention that John Kovats is one of a couple of people from the current insurance industry who have given me invaluable advice on insurance matters for some time.
John was asked by me to join the committee and his agreement to do so is gratefully acknowledged.
This is a win/win situation for all of MAAC to have a current expert on board. There is no place for politics in the work of this committee. What we need is the best possible coverage for our members, and getting and keeping that is the sole reason why the committee should exist.
John, I thank you again and look forward to working closely with you, making good use of your valuable expertise.
Richard Barlow
Insurance Chairman.
This looks like good news Richard. Thanks John. The confidence of someone with current knowledge in the field is refreshing.

And, thank you Richard for your work on this one. Those within know the challenges, difficulties and personalities Richard would have had to deal with in taking this one on. No envy on this end.

Marc Sharpe
Sharpy205 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:33 PM   #45
Sharpy205

Insurance and the Safety Code.

Perhaps John can enlighten me on this one.

Recently, additions to MAAC's safety code contain undefined and vauge terms, plus references to specific heights while flying.

Specifically,

.....Not to intentionally fly over an "Active Public Thorougdfare"

And

...."3D Flying" below 30m must be done with no other aircraft in the air.

I've spouted off a number of times about what I see as some huge loopholes that any lawyer worth his salt would enjoy exploiting.

ie: an Active public Thoroughfare could be anything a member of the public happens to use... path, horse trail, road, river, lake etc

or

ie: debate, even amoungst 3D flyers as to what constitues 3D flight, not to mention the inherent problem of assigning a specific altitude and the impossibility to get accurate judgement of height from 5 members sitting in the same spot watching the same flight?

Whatcha think?
Old 10-13-2005, 03:32 PM   #46
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20
I just got back from 4 days away looking at leaves in the far north. Had to stop in to see Andrew Coholic in Kirkland Lake to get some ca to fix my wifes glasses. Thanks Andrew.

I am not going to comment on your question. I may have an opinion, but I don't have an answer.

I think everyone should take the position that this is an "evolving" sport. Terminology, definitions, equipment etc.

I think you will see that MAAC will evolve with the times.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:34 PM   #47
Sharpy205

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKovats
I am not going to comment on your question. I may have an opinion, but I don't have an answer.
In escence, that does answer it.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:07 AM   #48
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKovats
I just got back from 4 days away looking at leaves in the far north. Had to stop in to see Andrew Coholic in Kirkland Lake to get some ca to fix my wifes glasses. Thanks Andrew.
Well you know I have the largest CA collection in the "far North"...

It was nice meeting you and your wife. Stop by again some time..
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in