Old 01-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #21
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20
Re: how do i fly 3 D

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose200 View Post
Is a cc the engine size??
Yes. cc = cubic centimeters. It is a measure of how much volume, in cubic centimeters, that the piston displaces from BTC (bottom dead center) to TDC (top dead center).

As a reference, a typical "60" size glow engine such as an OS or Thunder Tiger is .61 cid (cubic inches of displacement)..which works out to 10cc. The majority of glow engines on the market today are measured in cubic inches whereas the majority of the ignition gasoline engines are measured in cc's.....go figure.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #22
samsrc
RCC Contributor

I am: Sam Filippelli

Total Props: 0

I remember many years ago Frank Noll said to me I can teach you to Tork roll for $100.00 (this was before simulators as we know them now, and Tork rolling was something new) I, being this eager guy went, really? How??

Go out and buy $100.00 worth of gas...lol

Practice is the key.
IMAC # 3534
samsrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #23
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

Right on Sam. In my very first post on page one the same thing was stressed. There is no substatute for actually getting out and burning the fuel!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #24
moose200
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Moose

Total Props: 1

I got the G4 sim. What is the best plane for praticing 3D?? and whats the best set up of it??
thanks!!
I love the sim..lol

There is alot of money in the RC industry, I know because I put alot there!!
moose200 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #25
moose200
RCC Junior Contributor

Also is it better to have a high pitch prop or low??
right now I have a 11x8 on, or would it be better to get a 11x6 ?
thanks

Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #26
VA6WGO
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Will
Radio of choice:
Futaba 32MZ
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 15

As many of the guys said, a simulator will teach you the inputs required for a specific maneuver but you have to practice, practice, practice.

A pilot needs to have confidence, a mistake can easily cost you an aircraft, that is easy to do and tough to over come.

Any pilot needs to fly "very well" before jumping into the 3D arena, do non-3D maneuvers where the rudder is applied that is a good start.

You will find out the rudder control is the weakest point in most pilots, make sure that the rudder control is mastered in all angles, right side up, towards to you, away from you, upside down forward or towards to you, knife edge both ways etc.

You have to practice but practice in a smart way. Give your self some altitude maybe 2 or 3 mistakes high and practice on your weak points.
If you have a weak point throughout a maneuver, STOP THE MANEUVER work in your weak point and then go back to it.

3D flying takes a lot of discipline and patience, you won't learn this things in a day but mastering your weak points and increasing your confindece we'll make you a better pilot.

Of course, get the right tool for the job. A good 3D airplane, proper power to weight ratio and a good computarized radio.

These are my 5 cents.

Cheers,

Will
Falcon Props
VA6WGO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #27
dubcity

junior flyer is right about the size and prop. I started out with the .40 size twist. witha os. fx .46 with the apc 12.25-3.75. with digital servos. The Twist is in my mind a all round good plane. I have taught a few of my friends that had no idea how to fly rc planes. just make sure you have low and high throws set up and get flying. The very first flight i was flying high alpha with it. To this day i still have that plane. It is the oldest surviving plane i own. It can take a beating too. I touched the tail too har and broke it off and was able to pull vertical out of it and was able to bring it around and land it. Was a hand full still brought it back.

But what helped me to 3d was watching videos. bringing it down nice a slow and the switching to high rate and throw it into the wall. But once you learn to hover you can program mixes into your plane to make it smoother less corrections on the sticks.
dubcity is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #28
Riverdancer
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Total Props: 7

Good Day

My son flys 3d with the best of them...I could be a little bias though :0) As one fellow said the rudder is the weakest link for most R/C pilots.. I totally agree. If you have sim that helps..it's not perfect as there is no "Pucker" factor involved with the sim. I hear the odd guy say he can fly 3d on the sim but he doesn't do it on the reall one.. It's not the same at all..:0) Regarding the sim choose the larger airplanes that are labeled as "3D" they are actually set up pretty good for practicing. Everyones taste differs but its a good place to start. I like the Yak personally. The smaller airplanes are tough to learn on.

As for how to do it? I'm not sure anyone can teach you..Just do it..!! When my son flys you can hear the sticks clicking..If you have to think about the stick movements forget it, you are not going be able to keep up. My 3d is more like 2.5d but the best way I can describe it is you just have to trust your mind as it can work way faster than you can..:0)

That's my two bits worth.

All the best.

Riverdancer
Riverdancer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #29
big_air_jump

heres a website i leraned a few thing from
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/le...3d/index.shtml

there more under the learn category at the top.

one thing ive learned is flying into the wind makes it much easeir because the airpllane flies slower and whenyoure in a harrier or a hover having the bottom of the wing into the wind makes it more stable (it wont try and turn or rock as much)

the wind makes a huge difference.

and idk if youre this far yet but when doing any rolling maeuvers pracrice rolling left and right (i just realized my mistake wish i knew that sooner)

and idk if its been said but a lighter plane flies better
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/learn/lighterplanes/

sorry for any spelling mistakes.
big_air_jump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #30
moose200
RCC Junior Contributor

kk thank-you

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in