wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 21
26LBS-3D on Electric

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Would like some info on where to look for an electric motor and batteries large enough to power a Comp-Arf Yak 55.Would make for an interesting project.

Thanks Jack
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:13 PM   #2

Total Props: 57
The only stuff I have seen on that size of model is mostly custom. Usually a few Hacker C50's ran through some sort of belt drive system (custom made) and a whackload of 10S packs. The last I saw was a 40% ish H9 Ultimate, using 4 of the Hacker C50's and 4 10S Tanic packs. You are looking at around $3000 US for the motors/controllers, and another $2500 US for each flight pack set (8 separate batteries). So if you want 4 flights thats $10,000 US in batteries, then 8 chargers - $1600 US to charge a single flight pack in an hour. Basically people are using multiples of the electric gear we are using in pattern on a single plane to get the power.

I am doing a couple of pattern planes - 10 lbs electric, thats about the break even size if you are flying glow.....much bigger than that and things start to get very expensive as the gear is not widely available yet. Even at the pattern size I advise people against it unless you have a desire for punishment. Electric is a lot more work at this size than glow or gas, there are many more pitfalls and the life of the gear is largely a mystery

Give it a few years yet, its coming
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:46 PM   #3
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz

You're right....for $10,000 I'll give it a day or two :P .Thanks for the info.I'll try something a weeee bit smaller.

Jack

Old 02-22-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
matteo
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: matt s

Total Props: 0
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=469

check it out!!!
matteo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz

Thanks matteo,that sheds a little more light on the subject.

Jack
Old 02-22-2005, 06:00 PM   #6

Just to comment on this again...I think you will find the performance with that combo to be less than steller and certainly not 3D.

That is essentially what our power systems on our 10.5 lb pattern models are, and only generate around 16-17 lbs thrust static. Even the geared systems like the Hacker are maybe at 18-19 at most. In fact we are up around 2200 watts while for twice the weight he is only getting 2500 watts.

I just cant see getting anywhere close to true aerobatic power out of this setup. He talks of going to 8s or 9s packs and a smaller diameter prop which is only going to make it worse.

Again a single 10s3p pack like that is around $650-700 US depending on which brand. Unless you have a $$$ charger your cant charge the full 10s pack, you need to break it into 5s packs and use 2 chargers.

These are basically the biggest powerplants available, so to get any more out of it you need two or more systems tied together.

To put it another way, its about as much power as a YS 140-YS 160 DZ will put out on 30% nitro.....if those motors wont give your planned model the performance you want than neither will any of the current single electric setups.

I know I am beating on this one, but I dont want to see anyone drop a bunch of $$$ and get something other than what they were expecting.

I would sit back and watch, there will be huge stuff coming Thunder Power and Tanic are already starting to build 10,000 and 15,000 mAh packs. Others will as well, the pattern and heli market are pushing the limits of the big motors determining what can be done for watts and temps, its only a matter of time before that info is used to build bigger more powerful and more efficient motors.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:11 PM   #7

It may not be as long a wait as you think. Check out the new Actro 60. It is rated for continuous 2200W - 2500W
Now, the interesting thing is how these are rated. I have an Actro 32-4 in a heli and get 2500W from it. Would not hold that power level for long, but is ok in bursts up to 30 seconds or so.
The point is that it can give double it's rated output for a short time. If the Actro 60 works as well, you should be able to push it to 5Kw. That's 6.7 hp!
The only problem at this time is the speed controller. For 5Kw you would need 20S4P lipos. The best controllers of today can only handle 12S or 13S if you want to push it.
I agree, It can get expensive.[/quote][/code]
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in