Re-starting Avro Arrow build - Page 20 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 04-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #191
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
Re: Re-starting Avro Arrow build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Yes he did, guess Ted wants to punish me for being in California all winter, but that's ok, I'll be there all next winter too

Updates on the Arrow, well, outside of cleaning up the moulds, not much. Waiting for the weather to get better as I have to now do the fiberglassing outside, simply because it is too big for the workshop.

I still need to make some moulds but most came be done inside once I get the workbench cleared off.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #192
larry baraniuk
RCC Noob

I am: Larry

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutkoski View Post

I still need to make some moulds but most came be done inside once I get the workbench cleared off.
Instead of cleaning off the bench , just set up a new one. I now have several work benches.
larry baraniuk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:39 AM   #193
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Unfortunately, no more room for another workbench. Plus, I helped Ted out for a day this week and he gave me a new foamy jet, so I have to put it together too, my foamy fleet is growing rapidly.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #194
Mike Fry
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mike Fry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

Hi John,
I don't know if you communicate with others interested in the Avro Arrow, but if you do, I appreciate it.
I had an uncle who was an Electrical Engineer on the Arrow project before it was scrapped and he was one of the many looking for new work.
As a tribute to him and others, I would like to attempt to build the Arrow either as a hybrid (wood and foam) or all wood or all foam.
I was hoping for about a 36 to 48 in wingspan and all electric (there are good EDF units available today).
I believe that you are one of a very few individuals who have successfully built, flown and kitted this very rare plane.
If you have the time to offer assistance for my Arrow project as a semi retired RC builder/flyer, I would be appreciative.
My name is Mike Fry, I live in Oshawa, Ontario and my e-mail is mikefry49@gmail.com.
Should we happen to be close to each other and work out communications, I can supply refreshments or what ever else may be required to get this built in the next couple of seasons.
It would be great to see plans for the Arrow offered to all RC modellers to enjoy in the future.
I hope that you will respond and assist me on this quest to be a part of Canadian history.
Thanks and Regards,
Mike
Mike Fry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #195
larry baraniuk
RCC Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fry View Post
Hi John,
I don't know if you communicate with others interested in the Avro Arrow, but if you do, I appreciate it.
I had an uncle who was an Electrical Engineer on the Arrow project before it was scrapped and he was one of the many looking for new work.
As a tribute to him and others, I would like to attempt to build the Arrow either as a hybrid (wood and foam) or all wood or all foam.
I was hoping for about a 36 to 48 in wingspan and all electric (there are good EDF units available today).
I believe that you are one of a very few individuals who have successfully built, flown and kitted this very rare plane.
If you have the time to offer assistance for my Arrow project as a semi retired RC builder/flyer, I would be appreciative.
My name is Mike Fry, I live in Oshawa, Ontario and my e-mail is mikefry49@gmail.com.
Should we happen to be close to each other and work out communications, I can supply refreshments or what ever else may be required to get this built in the next couple of seasons.
It would be great to see plans for the Arrow offered to all RC modellers to enjoy in the future.
I hope that you will respond and assist me on this quest to be a part of Canadian history.
Thanks and Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike
I have plans for a 1/14th scale EDF Avro Arrow that would use twin 70 mm
Dr Madthrust EDF units. The wing span is about 43 inches. I have a building thread on RCgroups. I use blue core foam and 1/64 inch thick 3 ply baltic birch for the fuselage.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015141
Old 05-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #196
alex sorensen
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Alex S
Radio of choice:
futaba 7c
# of RCs: 10

I made a 48" version using 55mm units,but I never did fly it.I used the plan views,after making a miniature tester.do you know that if you create the side view of the fuselage,make a box of that view,add a wing saddle,you now have the simplest jet that you can imagine?There is a ton of room inside the fuse to do as you want,and the delta wing is not complicated.
alex sorensen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #197
larry baraniuk
RCC Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex sorensen View Post
I made a 48" version using 55mm units,but I never did fly it.I used the plan views,after making a miniature tester.do you know that if you create the side view of the fuselage,make a box of that view,add a wing saddle,you now have the simplest jet that you can imagine?There is a ton of room inside the fuse to do as you want,and the delta wing is not complicated.
The fuselage is easy but the wing is a challenge to make scale if you want it to have a flat top. Doug Hyslip has one of his models on display at the Hamilton warplane museum . The airfoil has a slight camber near the leading edge.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:05 AM   #198
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Did you get my email Mike?
Old 05-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #199
Mike Fry
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mike Fry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 4

Hi John,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Because of your many years of dedication to your Arrow projects, you have a wealth of knowledge that we are attempting to gather for our projects.
You mentioned you have plans for a 1/14th scale version with twin EDF units.
Would you be willing to sell a copies of your plans and build notes (instructions) to help me out.
I am not great yet at RC building but I am getting better fairly quickly and I can read plans (civil, mechanical, electrical, other) and extract required information from them.
I am still working full time at 67 to support my new chosen hobby when I fully retire in a year of so.
I would like to start the Arrow and slowly work through it so I can possibly have a fully flyable version ready for when I do retire to pursue this hobby full time.
Should you decide to assist me with this request, please contact me by personal e-mail (mikefry49@gmail.com) and we can take it from there.
I would be a real pleasure to meet with you.
Thanks and Regards,
Mike Fry
MAAC#89837
Mike Fry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #200
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Happened to be in Hamilton this morning so afterwards, visited the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. In the gift shop, there were numerous framed art prints and photos of the Avro Arrow and the prices were very reasonable. Then I saw a framed picture and noticed it was autographed. I recognized the two signatures of Jan Zurakowski and Spud Potocki, the two main test pilots. The signatures were done in different types of markers, so figured they might even be authentic. Plus, the price tag was $39.99, how could I resist.

When I got home, compared the signatures that were in the Arrow book, they look good enough for me.

Another addition to my collection.

Last edited by Dutkoski; 05-29-2016 at 05:48 PM. Reason: pictures

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in