Building a FPV plane with Head Tracking/OSD-GPS - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Aerial Photography/Video Discuss and exchange ideas about aerial photography and video in Canada.

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:58 AM   #1
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Building a FPV plane with Head Tracking/OSD-GPS

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello I am new here and I noticed that no one here has posted anything on video on board planes with head tracking and OSD with GPS.

So I guess I would like to be the first to show how it is done and where this stuff can be purchased. Anyone can enjoy this new experience of placing your eyes and mind in an RC plane 100s of feet above you in the sky... but doing this in a safe flying place with a spotter of course!

Rule #1: Power video and Audio/Video (A/V) transmitter (TX) on board the plane separately from the plane's battery. Other wise there will be electrical interference travelling back to the A/V TX which equals the dreaded horizontal video lines or worst... video static

Rule #2: Keep A/V TX far-far away from planes' receiver (RX) Other wise video interference!

Rule #3: BUY GOOD PROVEN EQUIPMENT!!!! That is a must!

Place to shop:

Intelligent Flight: http://www.intelligentflight.com.au/
Mark Harris, Thomas Sherrer and Daniel Wee ( Brilliant minds, great guys!!!)
They provide OSD/GPS. This will display planes co-ordinance, altitude, KM/hr, battery power and home return.
See video here of their soon to be release DRAGON OSD http://www.tsebi.com/reviews/RC/FPVFlight8.wmv
And yes planes' co-ordinance can be plotted by USB and Goggle Earth via laptop at the field. They are also developing RF link for our planes which during testing, managed to fly 16 Km from launch site. Apparently they could of gone further but they were stating to lose video therefore had to turn back.

RC-TECH: http://www.rc-tech.ch/web/index.php?...d=16&Itemid=26
He is the inventor/father of head tracking and is responsible for VRFlyer's success. Also Andre is a really great guy!!! He has been in the FPV scene for a longgg time and has provied expert help on video/audio problems. Also he has developed many high tech equipment for our hobbies.
See video here of Andre doing a night flight: http://www.rc-tech.ch/web/index.php?...=134&Itemid=43
Video during the day with head tracking:
http://www.rc-tech.ch/web/index.php?...=129&Itemid=60

Future Hobbies: https://www.futurehobbies.com/index.asp
He supplies the proven KX131, KX151 video cameras which is used by the pro's. He also carries video goggles, a/v TX & RX!

New Generation Hobbies: http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....874d446e0df42c
A truly Canadian Hi tech FPV store owned and operated by Zoltan of Toronto. This brilliant minded FPVer has been around the scene for quite some time and helped many around the world trouble shoot our electronic issues. He is at the moment developing audio/video diversity and audio/video signal tracer.

Recommended plane to use: Multiplex Easystar. It's made of elapor foam, so it's light and easy to repair if a mishap. Simply dab a little CA glue to damaged parts and she's ready to fly!

Here is my plane:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram1_113.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	27379  
jmstech is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

Here is another picture of my Easystar
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	diagram2_837.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	27380  
Old 10-12-2007, 12:59 AM   #3
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

My A/V receiver with a 14Dbi Patch Antenna, RC-TECH Video Splitter/amp, ADS USB2 A/V capture box, Compaq Presario V2401CL laptop, 545BK Video goggles, Futaba T9CAP TX
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	diagram3_427.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	27381  

Old 10-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #4
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

KX131 on the left and KX151 on the right and a Lawmate 2.4Ghz A/V TX
KX131 is 380tvl and has fast automatic gain control.
KX151 is 420tvl slow automatic gain control.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	diagram4_198.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	27382  
Old 10-12-2007, 01:14 AM   #5
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

Here is a camera pan and tilt set up on my Twinstar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pt_cam_721.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	27383  
Old 10-12-2007, 01:15 AM   #6
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

Some of my early videos:

Head tracking demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pquXOBb4K4

Head tracking with my Twinstar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkuyCrxbEAc

Testing Lens Hood on my Easystar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDR_dhBU6k

JMSTECH
Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #7
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

Well looks like lots of lookies but no questions asked here? Anyhow no matter. So I forgot to mention the best time to fly with these cameras is high noon when the sun is at the highest point. (sun above the camera) Why? Well lets pretend we are driving in the late afternoon or early morning. The sun is either rising or setting and what happens? You are blinded by the bright light and you pull down your sun visor (LENS HOOD in camera language). Anyhow the camera sensor will go dark causing terrible looking video. So the best time is 11:00 am to 1:00pm . I am searching and playing with new stuff all the time, like some higher resolution cameras then maybe high definition. 3D stereo video is now being toyed around by some friends of mine so that project will be very interesting.... flying FPV in 3D!!!!

Next toy I expect to have in my hands is a A/V video signal tracer. This device will spin around (driven by servos) and follow the A/V signal of my plane so I no longer need a second person to aim my high gain patch antenna anymore! COOL!

JMStech
Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Onboard video

Hi,

Can you give us a ball park price range for a complete set up.

Thanks,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

Hi Wayne,

You know this hobby isn't cheap but what hobby is? Knitting maybe? Just kidding So anyhow I haven't tallied up the total as of yet, but so far it isn't that bad... camera $100, A/V TX $120(?), head tracker $420, Futaba $500 (cheaper now) and so on and so on... Click on the links I provided for you and everyone to enjoy then calculate what you think you will buy. If you need other help that isn't listed above, let me know here and I can do my best to assist you! This hobby is truly incredible and I hope you can come on board and see what I see/hear.... from 100-2500 meters up and away in live broad casted video!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAAC
Aircraft that are guided by GPS or "virtual flying" with onboard cameras are not "models" and are not insured by MAAC.
Special flight operations certificates are also needed for these aircraft.
(certificate would be issued by Transport Canadar)

Link

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in