Cold weather nitro running. - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 12-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #21
Flyinbullmax
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Jean Pierre
Radio of choice:
JR 7202
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 3
Re: Cold weather nitro running.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I also like flying my foamy Beaver on floats, its realy neat to land on these, must remove the water ruders though
JP

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #22
Myzee
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 8

Never had a problem with cold flying. nitro and gas helicopters and nitro planes. It's just ME that can't take the cold!!
Aircraft fly better in the cold (denser air)
Old 12-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #23
RSVenture
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Arnold H

Total Props: 11

Like Chuebner, a flying friend and I flew one morning when it was -41. Really just to say we could and did!
But we flew often in the winter. We each had Sig Kadet Mark II on ski's and whenever the wind was down, we went flying. Did nothing special other than was fortunate enough to have large workshop on the farm so we started engines inside then set them outside of the door and took off. It was a great setup. Also flew a Sig 1/4 scale J3 Cub with a ST 2000. Had no skis but just put the floats on it. They worked beautifully.
It was a time when the cold didn't seem to bother me. Then old age set in LOL.
RSVenture is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #24
jtsmash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Jason T.
Radio of choice:
DX9
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytmerc83 View Post
I have three that fly all winter an old Thunder tiger tiger stick on skis(OS 46ax), my trusty flight test foam Bushwacker(electric) on skis and my cmp extra 300(dle 20cc) on skis. Most of the time I run wheel cause I plow my runway. But its neat to see ski tracks all over....that is till you break though and have to walk down the field to get your plane out.
I'm pretty much electric in the winter now, have 3 on skiis. (1 nitro) I usually wait unitl it's warmer than -5 LOL
My scratch built Flite test Bushwacker last weekend on home made plastic skiis. temp was about -2 so not bad at all. I look forward to putting the skiis on to get some flights in the winter, i enjoy it almost as much as putting the floats on in the spring. Lots of fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bushwacker on skiis.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1113465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161127_155923.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1113473  
IMAC 8158
jtsmash is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #25
FD av8r
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Daryll F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 9

I taught myself to fly R/C in the NWT and when winter hit I refused to quit. I bought a TX mitt, kept the plane and gear warm and fueled in my vehicle then ran out and fired it up and flew. Never went out much below -10c but honestly flying from a river is really an awesome experience on a sunny mild winter day. That was in the days when a 600mah airborne pack was standard so only 2-3 flights per trip. We do fly at our club in winter and often have a hot dog fun fly like those hardy souls at the trout farm. For sure I now prefer my electrics...just drop in a Lipo and fly...then off to Tims after.

Happy winter to you all

Daryll
Old 12-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #26
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Jtsmash, nice plane but how the heck do you see it in the winter?
Old 12-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #27
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamessmart24 View Post
Hey guys, I haven't been able to find much info on this. Im running a saito .40 in a small balsa cub, and when the lake freezes over in front of the house and gets a nice snow pack on it, it makes the perfect flying field. I ran electrics in the winter last year and the only problem I had was slightly shortened flight times. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with running nitros in the cold, if its just a matter of carb settings or if its not even worth trying. If maybe something like a cowl with less venting would help?
Thanks for any input.
Do your 4 stroke a favor and leave it at home till spring. Winter running is a quick way to destroy the valve train and bearings. The warm wet blow by inside the engine condenses in the valve cover and push rod tubes, then runs down into the camshaft area, past that and into the bearings. There is no real way for it to get out. Then you take it home and warm it up and the rust goes to work. 4 or 5 sessions of that will reduce your nice expensive 4 stroke to junk status!

I have personally experienced this and it is very disappointing!!

Two strokes do not have this issue as the bearings and crankcase get flushed with fresh fuel every revolution. Put a hose clamp on the head to help hold the heat and go have fun!
Old 12-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #28
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1

Great tip! I don't know why, but I had instinctively pulled the Saito off of the Kadet and put the old SuperTiger on it at the same time I put the skis on. Now I know why I did it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
Do your 4 stroke a favor and leave it at home till spring. Winter running is a quick way to destroy the valve train and bearings. The warm wet blow by inside the engine condenses in the valve cover and push rod tubes, then runs down into the camshaft area, past that and into the bearings. There is no real way for it to get out. Then you take it home and warm it up and the rust goes to work. 4 or 5 sessions of that will reduce your nice expensive 4 stroke to junk status!

Two strokes do not have this issue as the bearings and crankcase get flushed with fresh fuel every revolution. Put a hose clamp on the head to help hold the heat and go have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1484.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	958.2 KB
ID:	1120585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hart Feb 26 11.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	798.2 KB
ID:	1120593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hart Feb 26 10.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	716.7 KB
ID:	1120601  

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 12-08-2016 at 12:40 PM.
FaceDeAce is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #29
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post

Great advice from a seasoned glow fuel flier.

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #30
Mytmerc83
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Ryan T
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster TX16S
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 6

Jtsmash that's what my yard and the wife green house roof looked like last winter, ski tracks all over. I just rebuilt the wing for my BW the one I had was very well used and abused and was starting to curl up. So the rebuild is more like a 3dhs big or little foot wing has airfoil on top and bottom still will run flaps and ailerons. Will finish the wing tonight and fly tomorrow before the -20's hit us next week.
Mytmerc83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in