Why buy those expensive HobbyKing receivers? :) - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
russ
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Re: Why buy those expensive HobbyKing receivers? :)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
helno, I've had 2 servo's go bad (VSD6's) and 1 of the "black Rx's went bad too - the Rx got wet float flying - and if I could find the bad connection (I think it's in the header) I'm pretty sure I'd get it up and running again. The HXT900 servos work darn good though and I've gotten more of them for my foamies. I'm going to try the HXT5010's too just to see how they do but I also have some Hitec's here "just in case".
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Helno
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ryan D

Total Props: 45

^^^^ I have been flying a bunch of stuff with the HXT900s and 500's haven't had one fail yet. Only failure I have had of HK stuff was a 60 amp ESC that I pushed way to hard and blew a phase.

Here are some flight reports of the hobbyking ones. They are not trying to look like genuine spektrum stuff unlike this target hobby stuff.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1300243

The black heatshrink ones seem to have the best performance so far.

Last edited by Helno; 11-04-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Out of everything I've bought from hobby king I've had 2 out of 20 lipos or so come with 1 cell below 3v. Everything else was fine.

That said, I'm not putting a no name receiver in anything I own...
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
tommy_t
RCC Apprentice

I have lots of Hobby King products I use including 4x nitro engines, 16x HXT5010 servos, 1x 2.4GHz 6ch transmitter/receiver. These have all worked perfectly for me. It's amazing how many people have negative impression of their products. Before I order anything from them, I always read user reviews and comments. I certainly wouldn't buy a new, untried product with no user comments, especially something as cruicial as a receiver. But with proper research I have saved lots of money.

As far as shipping, I'm not sure at which point this has become rocket science, but their shipping charges are quite clear, and in my opinion are quite reasonable....

Here's my order history, just so I don't look like I'm talking out my a$$...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	89310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	89311  

Last edited by tommy_t; 11-04-2010 at 11:34 AM.
tommy_t is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #15

Total Props: 57

I don't buy "those expensive hobbyking receivers". I buy the ones that come from JR, sure they cost me more, but I have confidence in them and I can't put a price on that. The one and only time I ordered from Hobbyking I got product that didn't work and while they were willing to exchange it, the return shipping made it not worth doing. 2 Batteries, one totally DOA, and the other would take a full charge, but be dead in under 2 minutes. I wasn't willing to ship them back, pay that shipping, and hope that the next 2 were any better.

As was already said in this thread, if something seems to good to be true, it probably is.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
Wheels_78
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Cory VS
Radio of choice:
Giving the 11x a try
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 1

This illustrates exactlly the the point I was trying to make (very sarcasticly I admit). There's no way you can say that you "rarely" hear about guys getting bum products. It's just not human nature to keep quiet about it when you get screwed.

Everybody's got their thoughts on it for whatever reason...... (only 5 cell batteries are good? huh? when they solder 3 cells together it changes the battery chemistry?) But it only takes 1 bad report to nullyify 6 good ones.

In the end guys without experience ordering from china will come away from this thread remembering the negative reports far more than the positive.

For the record I've amassed quite a bit of hobbyking stuff. Including the motor/speed control/batts for a 35% edge running 12s/5600watts , 3-4 .40 size plane power systems and voltage regs, a couple Ichargers, a PILE of 3,4,and 5 cell packs, and a bunch of odds and ends. So far the only failure has been a servo signal voltage booster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtLZD4qfNm4

Last edited by Wheels_78; 11-04-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Wheels_78 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
airbourne
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jeff F

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGM Graphix View Post
I don't buy "those expensive hobbyking receivers". I buy the ones that come from JR, sure they cost me more, but I have confidence in them and I can't put a price on that. The one and only time I ordered from Hobbyking I got product that didn't work and while they were willing to exchange it, the return shipping made it not worth doing. 2 Batteries, one totally DOA, and the other would take a full charge, but be dead in under 2 minutes. I wasn't willing to ship them back, pay that shipping, and hope that the next 2 were any better.

As was already said in this thread, if something seems to good to be true, it probably is.
Well thats just it, people ARE confident in the HK clone Rx's, they have been out in huge volumes for months now, and have been shown to be just as good.
airbourne is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #18
Helno
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ryan D

Total Props: 45

Funny how this has turned into a hobbyking bashing thread even though it is about $8 spektrum lookalikes from a site other than hobbyking.

People seem to either love or hate hobbyking sort of how people jump all over the chance to bash Spektrum receivers at any opportunity. Well for those who have had bad experiences don't buy from them and perhaps there will be more stuf in stock for those of us who like them
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #19
buzzthetower
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jeff W.

I have bought at least 50+ Lipos of various sizes ranging from small 2 cell to 6 cell 5000mah for myself and others. A general rule of thumb seems to be that 7 out of 10 batteries work great and the other 3 are either DOA or dead after 2 or 3 flights. When you figure that they're 1/3 the cost of brand name lipos that's still a pretty good savings. Don't try returning for a refund, cost of shipping is worth more than value of battery.

My odds have been worse with ESC and electric motors though with roughly half of them having some sort of issue.

I like their turnigy light electric wood props. Look great and work great. I've got a carbon fiber 23X8 on the way for my DLE55. Lets hope they are as nice as their wood props.
buzzthetower is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #20
airbourne
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jeff F

Total Props: 4

I ordered 3 of these from Target Hobby, we'll see how it goes.

If they work as well as my HK ones I'll be happy!
airbourne is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in