Getting My First Glow Plane & Need Advise - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 07-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
drewaustin
RCC Noob

I am: Drew A
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Getting My First Glow Plane & Need Advise

Hello, this is my first post. I have been flying electric (The Bixler from HK), but its poor performance in windy conditions has meant I don't get a lot of flight time. I have flown the local club's trainer (Hobbico Nexstar) and really enjoyed it, despite the windy day we flew it.

So I'm looking at getting a glow plane like it. Should I go with a Nexstar like the club had, or should I go with a larger Cessna I have seen on Kijiji. I have heard that larger models are easier to learn to fly on, but maybe that one is too big.

What are people's thoughts? Thanks for any help!
drewaustin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
The Violets
RCC Contributor

I am: Michael L
Radio of choice:
A-9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 8
Re: Getting My First Glow Plane & Need Advise

Hi Drew,

Welcome to RCC, I've just started training with instructors, and would recommend you stick with the trainer. I’m learning that trainers et al, have different flight characteristic, as you experienced with the electric. Master the trainer, earn your wings and then move up to your second choice; one a bit more advanced.
JMHO
Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

The nexstar is a good trainer. ONly drawback is its construction doesn't give youa lot of options if you damage it. I would look for a balsa constrcted plane insead. Lots of good options. AVF hobbies in London or you can try to shop in Woodstock if he is still there.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
SaltyPersuader
RCC Noob

I am: Dean N
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 0

Great building job. However since you do not have your wings I suggest that you hang it in the basement or garage or put it on a shelf till you learn to fly with a trainer. I learnt on a Hobby Lobby Telemaster. great airplane. Flew great, nice a stable and after you learn you can take the dihedrial out and have a little better flying plane and do a few stunts. Even flew it off skis in the winter.
Once you master both these things then take out the mid wing baby and let her rip. It will be fast and highly maneuverable as well. May even land hot depending on the engine you have in it.
saltypersuader
SaltyPersuader is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Larger as a general rule is better in so many ways.

However - there are practical limits dictated by
#1 your budget, not just purchase price, can you afford to total it?(remember - you are still learning & bigger also costs more to replace)
#2 transportation & storage space.

P.S. Larger planes come electric powered too!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42

I'll start by saying I'm not new to the hobby but left it for roughly 35 years & re joined 3 seasons ago. I wouldn't have returned if electric hadn't matured to where it is but then again I'm a mechanic by day & just not interested in the noise & mess fuel engines produce. I still fly a trainer along with a few other simple to fly planes on a very regular basis because I like to be relaxed while I fly vs wonder if I can land it should it be squirrely after take off.
Heavier flies better if powered correctly all other things being equal & The Alpha comes in 2 versions & both are an excellent platform to learn on while being in expensive. Weight wise either version (wet fuel or electric) they are going to be close & so add it (Alpha 40 or Alpha ARF) to your research list.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicopo View Post
Heavier flies better if powered correctly all other things being equal
Hmmm! A few of us would disagree here! Put this in the search box & have a read.

LIGHTENING - Worth While?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
John M.
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 91

Beware kijiji ads, they tend to be overpriced for what you get unless the seller is realistic. And some are.

NexStar is nice, still fly mine as a relax plane. One of my favourites is a Hobbistar 60 Select which seems to combine the best of trainer / aerobat / windy day flyer and a bit more of a challenge to fly than the Nextar. There's a really good thread on RCC (or RCGROUPS?) about fixing one. The poster went from wondering if he could do it to doing a first class job.

Glow once set up is no big deal but if they get cranky they are a challenge! And always a mess to clean up but I use the opportunity for a good post-flight inspection.

Welcome to the hobby!!
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42

For the 3D stuff I agree that lighter is better but a light trainer gets blown about more than a heavier one.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

I have earned a bit of a reputation among those I fly with of lumping 3D planes in with hovercraft, powered parachutes, helicopters, dirigibles, hot air balloon, flying saucers and other gravity defying special effects inventions that severely abuse the definition of flight.

Ok! That was a was a bit harsh! Sorry!

No, my background is as the local club flight instructor for most of our past & present club members over the last 15 or so years. We started with the popular .40 sized 4 channel "trainers" and in the first few years scattered a lot of them over the local countryside.

Then we discovered the Sig Kadet series of trainers that average 1.5 to 2 pounds lighter for the same engine size. The success rate of these planes was huge! And my instruction investment time went way down!

Way less wrecks & repairs & a lot more enthusiasm at the field. The big poop - eating grins at the end of the day told the story! Those were good days!

Yes perhaps they bump around a bit more in turbulence than the lead sleds but the reduced landing speeds, easy takeoffs and overall confidence they inspired was well worth the trade off!

Anyway that has been my experience, others may see it differently.

P.S. Have you noticed that the fastest RC model planes (400+MPH) that fly in the highest winds (dynamic soaring gliders) only weigh 2.5 to 4 pounds? Hmmm...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in