a warbird for my second/intermediate plane - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Capt. B
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Red face a warbird for my second/intermediate plane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm a bit ahead of myself, but already thinking about a 2nd plane and wondering what it could be. So far I'm really thinking about a P-51. I'm more or less decided on it being a warbird, it has to be Allied, and I'd much prefer something that was flown by a Canadian squadron. Scale-ish, it really doesn't have to be perfect. I'd rather something that sacrifices a bit of realism for stability. I do want retracts, and I'd like flaps. I've been playing with the realflight version of this plane, creating an Allied colour scheme and am having a LOT of fun changing from a slow, low rate flaps down config to a high rate fast aerobatic, and then back again to make a slow pass over the runway.

From what I've read, the spitfire seems to be a more advanced plane, being less stable at lower speeds? This is why I haven't really considered it. If someone can prove me wrong, please do so. I prefer the spitfire, but it doesn't seem right for my needs or experience level.

I'm still undecided if it should be ARF or not. If it's a kit, it would be my first time building a whole kit, and I'd probably find some local help. But hey, gotta start some time!

The ones I'm really thinking about are:
the .40 kit from GP (no flaps, but a more forgiving plane?)
the .60 kit from top flite (has all I want, but costs more, and I've never built a whole kit myself)
the .60 ARF, also top flite. (american paint/decal scheme, but could be given allied decals and look alright).

So yeh, I'm looking for suggestions and input.
thanks!
Capt. B is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
mdscientist61
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mike T

Re: a warbird for my second/intermediate plane

If you want a wabird for your second airplane after your first trainer, this one would be a good one for you:

It is the Hangar 9 P51 Mustange PTS. It is actually a good second airplane.

First remove the speed brakes in the wheel struts but keep the plastic wing droops on the wings for your first few flights. Then take the droops off after it begins to feel comfortable.

You will find that landings are a little faster than you had on your first trainer. Be advised that as you slow down for a landing, the ailerons become less effective so you'll need to use rudder properly.

This H9 Mustang PTS actually flies like a pattern airplane. It does decent aerobatics. It has fixed landing gear.

Do *not* get a fancy warbird with retracts etc for your second airplane. Those ones are too difficult to control during takeoff and landing. Wait until your fourth or fifth airplane before you get a fancy warbird.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Capt. B
RCC Noob

Boooooooooo!

I was afraid someone might come along and pour common sense all over my shiny new fantasy!
I saw a how-to somewhere on a retract mod for that plane.
I wonder how much work it would take to make a PTS look like this:

Old 03-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Wildlabman
RCC Apprentice

I am: Chris Lee
Radio of choice:
JR9503

the MkII Mustang Sport ARF from Hanger 9 is the same plane as the new MKII PTS but without all the silly training stuff. The nice thing about it is that it comes "retract ready". It is basically a low wing sport plane dressed up to look like a Mustang.

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN4440

Something to thing about....

Chris
Old 03-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Capt. B
RCC Noob

Hrmmmmmmmmmm interesting. If that's true, the wing droops from the PTS are also available separately. And if the ARF is constructed the same as the PTS, I don't think it would take all that much effort to recover into something a little nicer.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Riddick
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: jay
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4GHz
# of RCs: 4

Cool Re: a warbird for my second/intermediate plane

Hey if you want to build your second plane to match your pic, go nuts. Your THIRD plane can be something you fly while you build your dream warbird. That's what I did, and STILL have not flown my second plane because it's not done yet. But now fly my ninth plane.
Riddick is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Michel G

Total Props: 12

Hi

If it,s youre second plane ( no matter what it is ) use the KISS system ( keep it simple )

Don,t go too fast

Michel
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #8

Total Props: 57

If you really want a Canadian warbird as your second, and your instructor agrees that you can move on to a low-wing airframe, then I suggest the Carl Godberg Super Chipmunk.

It won't take much bashing (if any) to return it to the military standard configuration and then to finish it with one of the training squadrons.

Good stable airplane with no real bad habits. Just build light because lighter flies better.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

Pick up one of the Hanger 9 arfs used and strip it. Recover and paint as you like. These are stand off but at full throttle who cares. Build your third one.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P 40 & P 51 008.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	72704   Click image for larger version

Name:	P 40 & P 51 009.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	72705  
Old 03-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
Capt. B
RCC Noob

I've been thinking about just stripping a hangar 9 ARF and recovering it. Though new the PTS kit comes with a 6 channel radio which I don't have yet either, so I may just go that way, and strip it all the same.
I also like the idea of the super chipmunk in a training squadron colour scheme, before getting a mustang! If I do that though, the mustang will have to be done in RCAF colours, and not allied WWII colours!

So... um, I've now gone from 'next' plane... to my next 3 planes?! WTF? lol
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in